See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

After driving five hours to get here checked into the hotel
We had booked two family rooms but on check in were told we had one family one single and they were fall for the night the guy at check in did try and he got us one family one single and one double so my two children had to share a double next door to me
Well on entering the room the smell was awful musty and old the furniture is dated and as the bathrooms well in need of updating is an understatement
Absolutely disgusting and they charge £120 per night for this without breakfast
All hotels in area fall for the night so can’t even change
Never would stay here again

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank staceybanks1978
Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed there for one day and that’s was enough, the room was dirty, the bed was horrible and there was no hot water to have a shower. The bar staff really did not want to be there. There is no reception staff so you are asked to leave your keys in a pot at reception, anyone can walk in and take them, poor security. I won’t be going there again. It’s close to the city center and there is part, the only plus side of my experience.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2018

This was the last hotel available in the area, and now that I’m here, it’s easy to see why. My room is very poorly decorated, very dated, and although very clean, it still looks dirty. The curtains look like they’ve been hanging for 30 years. The TV is slightly bigger than an I-pad. The shower temperature is hard to control, and once you get it right, you need to run around to get wet.
The bar offers a very small menu most of which I have tried, and I haven’t had a good meal yet. Tonight I waited over an hour for my meal. The staff try to appear happy and friendly, but generally give the impression they don’t want to be there.
The only saving grace is the breakfast is quite good.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

This place is dirty ,disgusting,the owner is disgusting and very rude,the place is falling apart,nothing works properly,its way overpriced,there's no room service so don't expect to have anything done if unfortunately you manage to stay another night,what else can I say,you have been warned!!!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2018

I was in Boston for one night and, unfortunately, had booked myself into the New England hotel for B&B. At £65 in what is not an expensive part of the country I was expecting something close to a 'Premier Inn' experience: smart decor, clean windows, good shower, efficient staff, promptly served and tasty food. I didn't get it, and left disappointed the following morning.

On arrival I found the reception desk unmanned. I pressed the bell there perhaps a little timidly.
No-one appeared.
After a minute I pressed it again, more emphatically.
Still no-one appeared.
A minute or so later a lady, 'of a certain age' would be a kind way of putting it, appeared stage right and hurried in to the space behind the reception desk. (I believe she had been manning the bar, perhaps getting some bottles in or something, for the two or three seemingly quite smart customers relaxing in the bar area). I filled out the form, we sorted out payment, and then she made a great point of telling me that I must hand in the key whenever I leave the hotel; I've never been told that before, and, in general, don't. (It turns out the New England lock the door at midnight and if they haven't got your key they assume you're in - so you risk a night in the gutter outside if you forget to hand your key in!)

My room was up two flights of stairs on the second floor at the front; surprisingly spacious, the decor was dated but clean, with loads of cupboards and drawers, loads of sockets, an iron and ironing board. The ensuite was large too, with a bath, but the only shower was a mixer tap attachment which didn't work well. The tea and coffee stuff was basic, no glasses provided - just plastic disposable cups if you wanted a glass of water. The room window was a lovely large wooden sash, looking out over the square, but it had clearly not been cleaned in recent times. Neither had the exterior woodwork been painted, as evidenced by the peeling paintwork.

After handing in my key I had an afternoon wander around Boston. The New England hotel is well placed for the shops - I was able to buy some essentials in M&S and Boots just five minutes walk away - but the railway station is on the other side of town. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs to eat in in the evening, but I was tired, and, upon returning to the hotel and seeing the menus posted outside, I asked about dinner when picking up my key. I was told it was served from 6.30 to 8.

At 6.30 I presented myself at reception for dinner, expecting to be directed to the restaurant; I was told 'all the others are eating in the bar so I've set up a table for you there'. Dinner, it transpired, would be served by the same lady who was still manning reception. 'Do you know what you'd like, or would you like to see the menu?'
I asked for a steak, rare. To drink, lemonade (I don't drink when out for work).

I took my seat and sipped my lemonade. By 7.00 I was wondering where my meal was; by 7.10 I was seriously calculating how long it would take to get to Wetherspoons (through the market square and over the bridge) and whether I should just give up and go there, for the lady seemed to have disappeared into the back of the hotel. (Maybe she was doing the cooking as well).

At 7.20 she appeared with my meal. I think it was the worst sirloin steak I've ever had; it wasn't pink in the middle, and was pretty small (maybe five or six ounces) for the £16.95 price tag. The chips had that dry texture they get when they are kept warm for ages; I think what may have happened is that my meal had been left under a warming lamp for some time, perhaps being forgotten, resulting in the steak being gently overdone and the chips dried. There were two onion rings, two small mushrooms and half a tomato to accompany my meal, and a congealed mess that was supposed to be peppercorn sauce (peppercorns seemingly absent). 'Spoons would do a steak and chips for maybe a little over a tenner, it would be bigger, better cooked, and better served,' I remember thinking.

After my meal I retired to my room, still hungry, to eat some biscuits I had in my suitcase as emergency rations. I slept surprisingly well, I had expected more noise from the locals but it was only a Wednesday night - perhaps things are noisier at weekends.

I couldn't get the shower adapter to work in the morning, so had a bath. Hot water was plentiful.

In the morning I had to be away by 8, so went down to breakfast at 7. This was served in the restaurant, a fine room, with plaster mouldings, far more attractive than the dingy bar I had eaten in the night before. Some other guests were already tucking in to their cereal; I got some, found a table and made a start.

The breakfast waitress, a different lady to the receptionist/waitress from the night before, but also 'of a certain age', appeared after a few minutes, put a bowl of fairly sad looking fruit on the buffet table and went round taking orders for cooked. I asked for beans on toast, finished my cereal and waited - rather longer than should have been necessary (it's about the quickest cooked breakfast to prepare, - just toast in the toaster and a minute in the micro for one of those bean pots.)

The waitress brought me a pot of tea; first cup was ok. The second, however, was so strong the addition of milk to it scarcely changed its colour at all - there may have been three or four tea bags in there! I had said that I didn't want any extra toast, but she arrived with one-and-a-half slices of it anyway with aforesaid tea. I thought of spreading some butter on a piece just to pass the time while waiting for my cooked; others, who had arrived after me, were getting their full english's, but, before I had put knife to butter, my beans on toast arrived.

Beans there were (not a huge number, but just about enough). Bean sauce there was very little, and the beans were very dry. Toast there was, but it had not been buttered. I pondered whether to redo the breakfast, moving the beans about and spreading some butter on the toast, but I had a schedule to stick to, I needed to eat something, go back to the room to pack up and then get on with the day, so I did my best with the offering as it was and departed the restaurant. I can quite honestly say I have never experienced beans on toast as bad as I did that morning, and I spent six years at boarding school where it was a Monday morning staple.

A stock answer on 'Four in a Bed' is that you should complain if you have a problem - but, if you are in a hurry to get away, you don't have time, so I didn't.

Once I was packed up in my room I thankfully walked the length of the top floor corridor for the last time, musing that it was exactly what I would expect the corridor of a hostel for homeless working men to look like, and went down to reception, which of course was unmanned. Having paid for everything the night before I left the key on the desk and marched out into the fresh Boston morning.

The New England Hotel is the sort of place that you see Alex Polizzi visiting on the 'Hotel Inspector' programme on TV; I'm not sure what she'd make of it, but there is plenty the management could do to improve the customer experience, not all of it involving much of an outlay. (A sign at reception, saying something like 'hotel guests please register at the bar when reception is unstaffed', would be a good start.)

If I'm ever in Boston again I will probably look elsewhere for accomodation, and I will certainly avoid dinner in the restaurant of the New England Hotel. The large room with loads of sockets, and the ensuite bath with good hot water, were the only positives, I'm afraid to report.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business