“Delicious!”

Ascough's Bistro
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated in the picturesque town of Market Harborough, Ascough’s offers a stylish and relaxed dining experience. Ascough’s prides itself on serving delicious contemporary dishes and producing everything on the premises from bread and biscuits to ice creams and sorbets. The reasonably set lunch and evening menus offer an excellent array of meat, fish and vegetarian options that will stretch your imagination but not the purse strings. So whether you’re planning an intimate meal for two, a friendly get together, special occasion or even a wedding breakfast, Ascough’s is the perfect venue and always look forward to welcoming you and members of your company.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve been here several times and I am finally getting around to writing a review. The food is delicious. The staff are friendly and professional. I’ve gone here with my young children and as a date night with my husband. Each experience has always been great.

2  Thank Dominique M

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I've visited Ascough's since it opened in its original premises but these days I'm compelled to review to say it's not what it was. Yes, I know its different, better presented, in a higher culinary class to other local restaurants, but, I really no longer think it has that edge, having gone too focused on presentation and description than what you actually get to eat.
At dinner I ordered a mackerel mousse (with lots of other very clever stuff) and received one spoonful of mousse, a few herbs and 2 very small pieces of bread (and the clever stuff - horseradish snow, etc) Then I had the duck breast (£3 extra). Very nice, however, I don't think I've ever ordered duck breast before and only had 2 slices of it served to me!
I'm not a piggy sort who likes mountains of cheap food, I appreciate good food and happily eat small yet excellent portions, but Ascough's don't quite get that balance right. Bring back your excellent food with decent portions and great prices - bistro, as you suggest - not measly servings of over-fancy food that leave you a bit hungry! Or, change what you offer.
I know, you're always fully booked weeks in advance because there's no one else like you. it's just an opinion!

3  Thank Elspee
chris a, Owner at Ascough's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review my restaurant. I always find it difficult to understand that if you have enjoyed your previous experiences that you now need to write negative reviews rather than positive.
After taking the time to look into the evening in question it seems a shame that you didn't give all the information that unfolded from the evening. So that it is fair for others to see I will list them as follows
After keeping one of your guests waiting 20 minutes after your booking time in our lounge because you were drinking somewhere else but chose to tell my waiting staff that you had been held up I find quite rude not only for your other guest but also for the restaurant you are dining in. After being told that we had already gone past last orders my chefs still agreed to serve you even though you told my waitress that we serve till 9.00pm which unfortunately we stop serving at 8.45pm in the week.
With regards to the food, I am glad you enjoyed the food that you had even if you felt that the portion size was not adequate for you needs. I would however like to point out that you did receive complementary bread before starters. In regards to your duck you were actually served a whole duck breast that had been sliced into 3 not 2 as you have suggested, again this was served with complimentary vegetables. After checking back on your meal everyone had mentioned that they were enjoying the food. After looking at the tickets and bill it was clear to see you only had 2 courses but could have had 3 if you felt you still needed more food.
Since moving to bigger premises we have now been able to make our food more elaborate and offer more choice and food which also tests the boundary of flavour combinations.
I do feel that with our menus changing monthly that we try to appeal to most tastes, but even we can get it slightly wrong on occasions if we are trying to hard but surely that is why you have continued to use us.
Maybe our bistro tag has changed to being more restaurant based but we feel happy in what we are offering and will always strive to be better than we currently are.
Regards Chris Ascough

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We managed to get a table for lunch and what a treat it was. There is a monthly changing set menu with choice of 2 or 3 courses for £13 or £17, even with some dishes having a supplement, this is an absolute bargain for the quality of food, presentation and service. There is a very comprehensive wine list with enough choices by the glass to make selection interesting. It is easy to see why the place was full on a Thursday lunch time. The menu looks pretty good value in the evening too. Congratulations to all involved, this is a top quality place to eat.We will return.

2  Thank malcolm41
Reviewed 4 April 2018

This was my second visit to the restaurant for lunch. It has a fixed price lunch menu with a decent selection of choices on each course. The restaurant has a helpful website with the monthly menu available to view before you visit. The food is very well prepared and served. Service can be slightly slow when the restaurant is busy, certainly so given that the bill has a significant service charge attached to it. The lay out of the restaurant is quite modern and in my view doesn’t create a great ambience. Overall the quality of the food does win through every time.

1  Thank Peter1Northampton
Reviewed 3 April 2018

40 years with a gluten and allium allergy has taught me to have low expectations when eating out. Over time things have got better and most restaurants manage to serve up something edible (not all, but most). Rarely a restaurant serves up something that blows you away, but In the last couple of years I have had 3 meals that I would put in that category. One was at the Ritz (London not Desborough) and the other two were at Ascough's.
It would obviously be overstating it to directly compare the two, but in terms of knowledge, understanding and attention to detail they are definitely on a level.
Can't wait to go again.