“A lovely country pub”

The Yew Tree at Cliffords Mesne
Ranked #5 of 7 things to do in Newent
Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

Have been here twice now and we will be back again ..Peter the landlord /owner is a nice genuine and amusing person the food is great and so is the real ale all served with a smile the pub is situated in a very pretty area with a few nice walks if you want to build a thirst. .

1  Thank phil b

Reviewed 13 September 2016

We live in the local village and had high hopes when the new owners arrived as the previous owners were very good.

Food was slow getting to the table, then we got someone else's who had ordered in front of us.

Very basic menu, Sadly will be travelling further afield to eat out.

I only gave it two as it was clean and tidy or it would have been one

1  Thank TheWhiteRabbit1
Reviewed 11 August 2016

I went to The Yew Tree with friends on Friday night. It used to be a regular haunt of mine when my grandparents lived in the village and I have many, wonderful memories of great times spent there and the good food they used to serve. What a disappointment it is now. It was peak time on a Friday night and it was virtually empty - not a good sign. The landlord was friendly enough, but the place looks just like any number of country pubs that have been updated - so many of the lovely, unique features I remembered had been stripped away, leaving a, almost sterile feeling to the place. We ordered food - the menu wasn't very inspiring so I went for chicken. I really wish I'd taken a photo of it because it was indescribably bad. How can anyone go so wrong with chicken, chips and coleslaw? The chicken had been overcooked and then clearly kept hot - I couldn't get my knife into it, let alone chew it. The stringy fries seemed to have been pre-salted somehow and were most unappetising. The meal came with a small pot of sad-looking coleslaw that, although pretty grim, was the most edible thing on the plate. The most unbelievable part of the whole thing was the price - at £11.00, I think the customer should expect food that is tasty and well-cooked. It made me sad to think that this once-great venue has become so mediocre. I won't be hurrying back there.

1  Thank Catherine T
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

We went when there was terrible folk music playing in the next room. The meal was so ordinary. It's such a shame it used to be good.

2  Thank lindylinds
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 June 2016 via mobile

Was walking in area and booked into here for Saturday lunch.
Landlord was very welcoming.great choice on the menu.
I had homily pie,homemade baked beans and salad- was filling and delicious, only had room for a light desert.i had chocolate cup filled with lime and coconut posset,shortbread biscuit on the side,OMG it was a taste bud delight.if ever in the area will definitely be my choice of food and drink stop.plenty of parking,lovely outside terrace eating area,and nicely tucked away off road.look out for the "ewes" around the pub!

3  Thank Shazzery