The Yew Tree at Cliffords Mesne
Open today: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM, 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
Well worth the visit

Was walking in area and booked into here for Saturday lunch. Landlord was very welcoming.great... read more

Reviewed 6 June 2016
Shazzery
Gloucestershire
via mobile
Well kept beers and child friendly

Reviewed 4 June 2016
dancinggreen
gloucestershire

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 September 2016

We live in the local village and had high hopes when the new owners arrived as the previous owners were very good.

Food was slow getting to the table, then we got someone else's who had ordered in front of us.

Very basic menu, Sadly will be travelling further afield to eat out.

I only gave it two as it was clean and tidy or it would have been one

Date of experience: March 2016
1  Thank TheWhiteRabbit1
Reviewed 11 August 2016

I went to The Yew Tree with friends on Friday night. It used to be a regular haunt of mine when my grandparents lived in the village and I have many, wonderful memories of great times spent there and the good food they used to serve. What a disappointment it is now. It was peak time on a Friday night and it was virtually empty - not a good sign. The landlord was friendly enough, but the place looks just like any number of country pubs that have been updated - so many of the lovely, unique features I remembered had been stripped away, leaving a, almost sterile feeling to the place. We ordered food - the menu wasn't very inspiring so I went for chicken. I really wish I'd taken a photo of it because it was indescribably bad. How can anyone go so wrong with chicken, chips and coleslaw? The chicken had been overcooked and then clearly kept hot - I couldn't get my knife into it, let alone chew it. The stringy fries seemed to have been pre-salted somehow and were most unappetising. The meal came with a small pot of sad-looking coleslaw that, although pretty grim, was the most edible thing on the plate. The most unbelievable part of the whole thing was the price - at £11.00, I think the customer should expect food that is tasty and well-cooked. It made me sad to think that this once-great venue has become so mediocre. I won't be hurrying back there.

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank Catherine T
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

We went when there was terrible folk music playing in the next room. The meal was so ordinary. It's such a shame it used to be good.

Date of experience: June 2016
2  Thank lindylinds
Reviewed 6 June 2016 via mobile

Was walking in area and booked into here for Saturday lunch.
Landlord was very welcoming.great choice on the menu.
I had homily pie,homemade baked beans and salad- was filling and delicious, only had room for a light desert.i had chocolate cup filled with lime and coconut posset,shortbread biscuit on the side,OMG it was a taste bud delight.if ever in the area will definitely be my choice of food and drink stop.plenty of parking,lovely outside terrace eating area,and nicely tucked away off road.look out for the "ewes" around the pub!

Date of experience: June 2016
3  Thank Shazzery
Reviewed 4 June 2016

This is such a good place to pop into for lunch. The landlord knows exactly how to keep the Wye Valley Ale and the guest beers. We do not eat here frequently or on a regular basis but often enough to know that the food is consistently good. It is good honest pub grub, freshly cooked in house and sensibly priced. . This time we had a favourite panini with chips again and it never fails us. Not all pubs welcome children and dogs but this one does so we know we can take the grandchildren without a problem, making it easy for us when they visit.

Date of experience: May 2016