All reviews poulett room sea view cream tea lyme bay lovely hotel scones car park main restaurant wine list breakfast and dinner scallops no lift fantastic views relaxing break jurassic coast lovely garden return visit
Reviewed 8 September 2018

We found it difficult to make a good combination of starter and main course from the rather limited a la carte menu. We both chose the cauliflower and almond soup as being the only choice which fitted our mains, the Cod and the Pork tenderloin. The soup was rather thick for our taste. The Cod dish was good, my Pork tenderloin was beautifully tender but both dishes were spoiled by being little more than lukewarm. Neither when we informed the waitress at the table nor when I paid the bill at the till was there any explanation, let alone apology. Two two-course meals, a glass of wine, a tonic water and two coffees, £74. Underwhelming.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Musicman41
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Wonderful stay. I’ve been before and it’s just beyond marvellous. Beautiful rooms, hotel, gardens, location and the staff are generally quite wonderful. We had a simply marvellous time and everyone said they wanted to come back separately. I do think there are some quite serious staffing issues going on but I imagine this will be sorted and more staff taken on.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank arderne
Reviewed 31 August 2018

We stayed at this hotel in mid-August for 2 nights as part of a tour of the South Coast. Our stay was meant to be the highlight of our trip because it was more expensive than our other accommodation (£180 per night, plus £10 for the dog). Unfortunately it was a very poor experience.

Our room (37) smelt terribly of damp (even after a 3 month heatwave), the carpet was dirty and the furniture was cheap. The room has is part of an annex at the back of the hotel with a flat roof. We complained but weren't able to move rooms as the hotel was full. The next day we were moved to Room 8 which was better (but still not worth the price tag).

We only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was OK but nothing special.

Service-wise, I would agree with some previous reviewers and say that there was a rather uneasy atmosphere among the staff. There was definitely an air of tension around the bar area.

Parking is very poor...not enough spaces for residents (don't forget the price tag) and you have to leave your keys with reception so that they can move them around.

My main complaint with this hotel is the awful arrogance. On checkout I wondered if we would be charged the full rate for Room 37...we were. When I queried it we were given a whopping £30 off our bill! This means that we payed £150 to stay in an awful bedroom. I understand that this room is the only dog-friendly bedroom but this doesn't justify it being damp, smelly and totally sub-standard. I believe we were given 'special permission' to move rooms because we had a dog with us...good job because if we hadn't then there's no way we were going to stay in that room another night.

I emailed the manager when we got home to let him know we were very disappointed (he had been off when we stayed there). He said he was unable to give us any further refund and offered us a complimentary night's stay in a better grade room. This just sums up this hotel; why would we want to make a 5 hour/500mile round trip from Cheshire just to visit this hotel? The manager tried to call me on a few occasions but I was unable to take his call. I very much anticipate that he will respond to this review but I'm afraid he's had plenty of time to make things right.

This hotel is in a beautiful setting with lovely gardens and great views. Unfortunately, The Alexandra isn't worth its expensive price tag. I appreciate that the hotel is old and needs a lot of maintenance but putting guests in damp bedrooms is not acceptable, nor is the lack of compensation when doing so.

I would not stay at this hotel again (even for free!).

Room Tip: Not room 37
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2018

We booked into this hotel for a meal on recommendation. The service was good and so was the food, but we were expecting something much more amazing. The whole experience was pretty average. We were also seated next to a family in the dining room where children were running around and were very noisy - children should NOT be allowed in the restaurant after a certain time. Most high quality hotels have this policy. Cannot comment on the rooms though.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2018

Stayed for three nights with the family. We had a well appointed room on the ground floor with a convenient second door which opened onto the croquet lawn. The views over Lyme Bay were quite lovely and the hotel makes good use of its grounds to enjoy the vista. The hotel has a family feel to it and the staff are focused on your comforts. The location is great for the public footpath leading down to the beachfront. Parking is a complicated affair in Lyme Regis as a whole and the hotel has its own off street parking, though it can be quite the jigsaw puzzle when leaving.

Food was very good - the breakfasts were enjoyed by all in the family and afternoon tea was quite lovely in the garden. It was particularly appreciated that the kitchen was able to deal well with allergies.

The only consternation were two visits from housekeeping to turn down the beds long after the children were asleep. The front of hotel staff were suitably apologetic and management did offer us 20% reduction on our stay by way of an apology.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2018

Dear Andrew R

Thank you for writing your review, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Alexandra, I am very sorry that you were disturbed by our housekeepers while they were doing the evening turn down. We always suggest on check in to the room that if you do not wish to be disturbed simply make use of the ‘do not disturb sign’ placed on the door handle, this makes our staff aware that you do not wish them to enter and they of course respect this request. We certainly hope to welcome you back some day to the hotel and Lyme Regis.

Regards