All reviews wildflower restaurant cream tea balcony room dartmoor ponies afternoon tea lovely hotel beautiful setting wedding reception main course valley suite buffet style wedding venue dog friendly hotel an overnight stay waiting staff both nights course meal
Reviewed 17 November 2015

After our original stay earlier in the year, we were looking forward to a night at the hotel again.

As usual, the staff were attentive, pleasant and efficient. The food was superb from starter to dessert.

My only 'grouse' was with the bathroom in our room. The ceiling is in need of a good clean and a coat of paint. Also the wall decoration was extremely dirty. This was mentioned to the staff do hopefully will have been rectified.

We will certainly have no hesitation in booking again as our "Lazy Sunday" break was exactly that.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2015

Dear garis,

Thank you very much for your kind and helpful review following your lazy Sunday stay with us recently. I was very pleased to see how much you enjoyed your time with us and that the staff and the food lived up to expectations.

I do apologise for the bathroom ceiling and the wall decoration, these matters are in hand and thank you for highlighting them, we should be ahead of you on this but obviously something slipped through the net.

We look forward to your next trip down from the north coast!

Reviewed 15 November 2015

We stayed here a few years ago when it was the Moorland Links Hotel in a basic room and it was not bad so we stayed again for an anniversary now it's the Moorland Garden Hotel. I paid very good money for a one night stay with dinner, bed and breakfast for the two of us using one of their own seasonal offers. I could have stayed in a more basic, cheaper room again but wanted to make it special so upgraded to the Superior Lily of the Valley suite. It was a decent size room but nowhere near as special as I was hoping, and therefore very overpriced.

Nice comfy double bed and big flat screen freeview TV. There was a sofa and table but it was basically just a bigger room. The bathroom was ordinary in my opinion. An overbath shower, shallow but arty basin and a toilet and bidet. The shower screen was pathetic, but they always are and as much water hit the floor as stayed inside the screen. The bath enamel was also damaged and poorly touched up. The bedroom carpet was frayed where it joined the bathroom and these are not what I expect in a "Superior suite" of a 4 star hotel.

Couldn't fault the staff, although our evening waiter was willing but useless. He brought the wrong desserts out initially and as we ordered a special dessert that takes 15 minutes, we had to wait half an hour, including a second misfire. He then brought the wrong hot drinks and also dropped 2 of the 4 petit fours on the floor. He was very apologetic and I felt a bit sorry for him, but he was obviously not very well trained. Have to say the food was lovely but very small portions and presented "just so"

All in all, it was OK but nothing special and if I stayed again I would probably not bother upgrading, it was definitely not worth the extra £60 over a basic room.

Room tip: Don't bother with the Lily of the Valley Suite - it's overpriced and nothing special
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin N
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2015

Dear Kevin N,

Thank you for your full and even handed review following your stay with us earlier this month. I do apologise for the disappointment you experienced, both with the room and the service issues in the restaurant. We certainly will be taking the trainning in hand and ensuring that we keep a much closer watch on our newer team members.

I have been back to the Lily of the Valley and have asked our maintenance team to re-fit the carpet where it has come away from its gripper. I do accept that the bathroom is one of our older ones that we have not got to yet, however it is on our project list to be replaced. While this room is one room we felt it was better like this to give a grander feeling of space with the triple windows looking over the gardens rather than having it as two rooms which did not feel as impressive.

I was pleased to see that you found the staff pleasant and helpful and that you enjoyed the food in the restaurant. I hope you will be able to return shortly - we would appreciate the opportunity to show you the improvements we have made.

Reviewed 13 November 2015

My husband and I stayed here recently with our 8 month old daughter. We were very impressed with the size of the room and had a comfortable stay. We ordered room service in the evening (such is life with a baby!) and were hugely impressed with how good the food was - not your usual rooms service junk but freshly cooked delicious food. We had the burger and caesar salad. The staff were friendly although were rather absent most of the time. This was probably due to us being there Sunday to Monday when it was very quiet. Breakfast was exactly what we needed - continental with the option of hot food. We just had continental and it was delicious - again, a much higher standard than average hotel breakfasts, with freshly prepared fresh fruit and pastries that actually tasted like real pastries and not cardboard. The only minor problem was the heat. The radiators in the corridor were extremely hot - it was quite unbearable to stand in the corridor, and although the rooms were not as warm, we still had to sleep with the window open (in November!). Otherwise, a very pleasant stay.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2015

Dear Emily F,

Thank you for your most kind review following your stay earlier this month. I was very pleased to see how much you enjoyed your time with us.

We have put a lot of emphasis on the quality and style of our food. This is one of the key distinguishing factors between hotels and I am delighted that our menus fitted the bill for you so well and that dinner followed through so well to breakfast. Thank you for the feedback on the staff too, we will make sure they are properly available!

In an old building the heat is not always as easy to control as it could be, we have some plans in place to rectify this but we would rather you were too warm than a bit cold!

Do please come and stay with us again when you are next coming down this way, book early for our best rates on our website or do give us a call.

Reviewed 11 November 2015

Set on the edge of Dartmoor the hotel is an ideal location for exploring the moors plus easy access to Cornwall. The building is modern, purpose built, but provides very comfortable accommodation in generous rooms. There are tea/coffee making facilities, free wifi with good access and it was nice to find two arm chairs. The shower was great as were the towels and standard of toiletries. The food is good if a tad expensive .It would be nice to have a 2/3 course option or a la carte That said it is well presented and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.It was nice to have breakfast cooked to order, rather than hot plates.

Room tip: Ask for a ground floor room if stairs are a problem
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2015

Dear lizanneSurrey,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive review following your stay with us earlier this month, I was very pleased to see how much you enjoyed your visit and how the facilities, staff and food (especially the breakfast!) lived up to your expectations.

I have noted your comments on the menu price and will discuss this with my team to see if there are any ways we can improve.

Thank you again and I hope we will be able to look after you again soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2015

An outstanding hotel in a beautiful setting with staff that find nothing too much trouble to make your stay comfortable and relaxing. Cannot find the right words to do this hotel and its staff justice, had a wonderful stay beautiful fresh food, accommodating friendly staff. Had a fantastic time with you all Thank you. Highly recommended

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2015

Dear happy999555,

Thank you very much for your glowing review following your stay earlier this month, I was very pleased to see how much you enjoyed your visit and especially how helpful and friendly you found my team.

We are a little oasis of calm and tranquility so close to Plymouth it makes us a good business bolthole.

I am glad you found us and hope you will be able to stay again soon when business brings you up from Cornwall again.