“Special Lunch for my wifes 50th..”

The Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 86 Restaurants in Padstow
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 102
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opened by Rick Stein and Jill Stein in 1975, The Seafood Restaurant in Padstow is famous for establishing an international reputation for the very freshest fish and shellfish, often landed on our doorstep. Head chef, Stephane Delourme and his team create simple seafood dishes with classic flavours using Rick's recipes. We have a seafood bar right in the middle of the restaurant where you can watch chefs assembling platters of oysters, langoustines and sashimi. No reservations are required for the bar and you can order anything from the a la carte menu.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We managed to get a lunch booking for our last day of a 3 day stay in Padstow..

I have wanted to eat here for years and it did not disappoint.. started with 6 Oysters (I could have eaten another 6!!).. I then had the lobster risotto while my wife had the sea bass which she said was stunning..

The food was amazing, the staff attentive without driving you mad and as others have said, for a special treat its worth every penny.. we will be back next year with friends.. 'Fruits de Mer' is on my must have list..

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (6,141)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We last came to The Seafood Restaurant over 10 years ago, before having children, so were curious to see what had changed and if it would live up to our previous experience and I'm happy to say, it was fantastic. We had originally booked lunch at 4 pm for the outside terrace, which was the only option available at the time. Due to inclement weather, the terrace was closed (and therefore our booking was no more), but we thought we would pop in and ask if they could squeeze us into the main restaurant. Luckily, they said they could, albeit at 3.30pm instead. It was actually fairly good value for money (for the type of restaurant it is) - the kids meals worked out at around £15 for three courses (excluding drinks) and we had the lunch menu at £39.95 for 3 courses. My starter of mussels with black beans, garlic and ginger are worth a special mention - the whole family (including the 5 and 7 year old) enjoyed them as they were soooo delicious. Best mussels I've ever eaten. Even though it is a seafood restaurant, I really fancied a steak, and that was cooked to perfection too. The jelly for the jelly and ice cream kids desert were shaped like little fish, which was a lovely touch. The only thing that wasn't devoured was the 7 year old's desert of sticky toffee pudding - she said it was a bit too sweet! Lovely experience, really helpful staff and they most definitely didn't rush us - I think we spent almost 3 hours there in total (family of four)!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

On arrival we were greeted by a lady who was far from welcoming and put out that I had requested a table for 5 when I had allegedly only booked for 4 several months prior. She knows who she is as my Step-Daughter politely told her about how unwelcoming she was. My daughter & I were eventually show to a table after my wheel chair was gratefully stored. We ordered a glass of very nice champagne each then the rest of my family arrived. I unfortunately was not aware it is not child friendly and as my grandson is under 4 years of age asked to leave immediately. Please do check the small print about children. We were offered a table at their sister bistro and as I am now disabled fortunately given a lift by car after complaining. The Stein Bistro was OK. Rather a disappointing and upsetting experience.

Reviewed 19 August 2021 via mobile

Enjoyed dinner here on our first night in Padstow. We were staying in the accommodation above the restaurant so came down for dinner to a pretty packed restaurant - nice atmosphere.

Service all very friendly. From reception desk when checking into hotel, right through to the servers and the cleaners.

When in Rome…..we had sashimi and prawns starter, lobster and hake for main and peanut butter cheesecake & chocolate fondant for dessert.

The only thing I would say - they charge for water. It isn’t clear and I think given the price of the food and drink that the least a decent restaurant can do is provide complimentary water!

The food was lovely - nothing wrong with it at all. It’s just the price of the place. We were on our honeymoon so it felt justifiable but just a night out for dinner for 2 I’m not sure it’s worth it. It wasn’t the best meal I’ve ever had - it was good. It is the first time I’ve ever had lobster Thermidor so memorable for sure and like many who make the pilgrimage from The North to Padstow, I wanted to see Rick Steins restaurant having read about it so often in various food guides.

So I would recommend it but just don’t think I’ll be back in a hurry due to the price.

Reviewed 18 August 2021

We'd booked well in advance and even then only managed to get a later sitting, 9.30pm. Staff very welcoming and friendly. Menu was quite varied. I tried the hot shellfish and Sri Lankan curry, both of which tasted wonderful. For me, with the reputation that Rick Stein has, it's a lot to live up to, and this didn't disappoint