2,385 results
All reviews riverside restaurant the river feature room marlow bridge indian restaurant lovely location complete angler afternoon tea nespresso machine executive room four poster one night stay special occasion breakfast was excellent wedding anniversary birthday treat lovely room
Reviewed 10 September 2018

We unfortunately could only stay one night at the Compleat Angler in Marlow as it was a stopover on our way to Essex.

Our room was spacious, light and airy. The towels were big and fluffy, the bathroom a great size and a shower that was also very powerful.

Breakfast was a little chaotic due to the fact everyone seemed to arrive at once, however this didn't spoil our stay at all as the food was delicious and the service outstanding.

The bar staff in the evening were attentive and friendly.

We hope to go back to Marlow for a couple of days next time and will definitely stay here again. Great value for money if you book in advance.

Room Tip: Our room looked out over the car park but then if you want a river view you'll probably pay a lot more.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
GMWebster, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Many thanks for your review.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your room, and breakfast and found the staff and service excellent. We really do try and make our guests happy and welcome during their stay and are glad you found this to be the case.

Breakfast can be busy at peak times at weekends if everyone enjoys a lie-in, but we try to staff accordingly and are glad the service and food remained of a high standard.

We would be delighted to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

My wife and I are both retired and for many years have frequented the Compleat Angler for lunch. We were there last week for lunch. I made the booking to an automaton, (no one there to answer my call!) and subsequently re-called, and spoke to someone to confirm that my message had got through and that we would like a table in the 'conservatory'.
On arrival, we were directed to the Waterside restaurant as the 'Conservatory' was to be occupied. (although during our time in the hotel, we didn't see any activity there).
Our 'starter' course was good. However, the main course, which both of us ordered was far from good. It consisted of two small but thick slithers of beef accompanied by four small cubes of potato, some bits of onion, tomato and kale. The kale was so tough that we were unable to eat it...totally inedible. The disappointing dessert menu consisted of a chocolate dish or a lemon dish or ...cheese and biscuits. None of which appealed to us. Nothing available on the a la carte, so the choice was from the 'Market menu' only, which we declined.
Our main course was £30 each plus £6 for some chips, some of which appeared to be re-fried. Asked if we enjoyed the main course.....a definite NO. We were then offered free cups of coffee as compensation!
We have loved lunching at the Compleat Angler and have looked upon it as something 'special'. However, there is no doubt in our minds that it has gone down hill. Gone is the Maitre d'hotel and the wine waiter etc. and the delicious a la carte desserts we used to enjoy. We were attended by a pleasant waitress only. Understandably, this hotel now relies upon its setting. The food is very expensive for very little, the menu is poor and the food not well prepared. One should not walk away feeling hungry let alone very disappointed. The quality of the food and the price charged does not warrant the journey. We will not be going back. Fortunately, there are many superior restaurants in the area with better menus at considerably less cost.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike_SAmersham

Many thanks for your comprehensive review.

I am very disappointed to hear you were not happy your recent lunch after many years of visiting us.

I have passed your comments to my kitchen team as we regularly re-evaluate our menu so your feedback is appreciated. We would always encourage guests to let us know if we have fallen short of expectation at the time so we can try and rectify things. I'm glad the team offered you free coffee, but I'm sorry you did not feel you had had enough to eat.

We do also evaluate prices and demand on a quarterly basis.

We really hope that we get the chance to try and restore your faith in this lovely property again in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

After reading a few bad reviews I was a little worried about our stay but I shouldn't have been.
The staff here were all lovely and friendly.
The room we had overlooked the river and a beautiful church and it was spotlessly clean. It had everything you needed in a room from a coffee machine to robes.
We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast package and had a different menu in the restaurant in the evening but there was plenty of choice on it and the food was amazing.
Breakfast was lovely too and I had an omlete that was cooked for me and was delicious. The view from the riverside restaurant is fabulous.
We stayed for my husband's birthday treat and we would highly recommend the hotel to anyone in the area.
We met the manager in the evening and again in the morning and he was a really nice man who is passionate about his hotel and his guests welfare.
I'd love to return again.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review.

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay celebrating your husband's birthday. I'm glad you enjoyed the room, the food and the location.

And thank you for your personal comments - I am indeed very passionate about this beautiful iconic hotel and the team we have working here, and we are all trying very hard to give our guests the best time we can when they stay here - I'm so glad this was appreciated by yourselves.

It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Wonderful hotel in a fantastic location on the River Thames. Room was very clean and well equipped and the staff were courteous and attentive. The food was delicious! Easy to walk into the beautiful riverside town of Marlow. We would recommend this hotel

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for submitting your review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, our beautiful location and found the food to be of a high standard. Most importantly I am glad the team looked after you well.

We would love to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

An amazing day. Hotel beautiful in a lovely setting. Staff attentive. Food was amazing, beautiful lamb meal and very tasty chilli buffet in the evening. Couldn’t have been better. Drinks are expensive but setting and views are beautiful.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Many thanks for your review.

We are delighted to hear the wedding was such a success. Quite a stunning location to start married life!

I'm so glad you enjoyed the food and have passed your thanks to Brahim, Hamza and the conference and banqueting team.