La Casa Amarilla
US$ 93
Hostal El Levante(Tarifa)(Great Value!)
US$ 49
US$ 111
  • Restaurant
Hotel La Torre(Tarifa)(Great Value!)
US$ 84
US$ 64
Hostelworld.com
US$ 145
Cortijo El Pozuelo(Tarifa)(Great Value!)
US$ 76
US$ 91
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hostal Tarifa(Tarifa)(Great Value!)
US$ 58
  • Bar/Lounge
South Hostel Tarifa(Tarifa)(Great Value!)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Wake Up in Tarifa(Tarifa)(Great Value!)
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We spent three pleasant and enjoyable nights at Casa Amarilla.

Getting there, follow the signs to the harbour, then left into the old town, which is largely a one way system. When San Mateo church (which you can’t miss) looms in front of you, stop. La Casa Amarilla is on your right, the entrance is ten metres down a quiet alley. Parking is limited during working hours; we were fortunate to find an overnight space. Otherwise, follow the road round, and at the T-junction turn right. This takes you about the castillo to a hill, overlooking the harbour, where there is ample free parking.

Our stay was bookmarked by two serious rainstorms, but we had delightful weather in between. We had chosen a reasonably priced one bedroom apartment. Barbara, our host, sorted out minor electrical problems with northern Swiss efficiency and was informative, helpful and ironic throughout. I understand that some of the rooms are in mudejar style, but ours was minimalist, with pink walls and creaky, incompetent floorboarding. But SPACIOUS. And quiet. And comfortable. Did I say spacious?

There were cooking facilities with all usual pots, pans and utensils, except of course for a kettle - bring your own. A big yellow bathroom. An enormous bedroom. A living area where the sofa showed previous mistreatment by various surfer boys (and girls). But we threw a rug over it and could have been at home.

We spent little time in Tarifa during the day, using Casa Amarilla as a base to visit Gibraltar (has to be seen to be believed), and the lovely Vejer, Conil, Roman Baelo Claudia and the spectacular, deserted, local beaches. Besides, we were there out of season, and Tarifa was more or less closed.

Nonetheless, I could barely drag my partner away from Casa Amarilla. Had we not been heading to Granada next, she might still be there.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jimmcateer
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We booked our stay for one night only and arrived in the afternoon in time to check in and walk the neighborhood, dine and then prepare for are next day trip to Tangier. We found the hotel fairly easily in the small narrow streets and were able to park illegally with flashing lights long enough to get check in and bags to out room. Getting bags to your room is a chore, we had 4 flights on beautiful marble steps. We should have packed a lighter overnight bag and left the rest in the car. Trying to get it all down the stairs very early the next morning without waking other guests was difficult.

The woman checking us in was delightful and helpful with suggestions for secure parking. Our room was large enough to provide a loft full sized bed, a pull out couch trundle and a kitchen and dining area we did not use. The pull out bed was what you would expect but manageable. The bath was large with shower and tub. Bring your bath kit for shampoo, etc., as they are not provided.

Two things to consider. The desk is not staffed from I believe 9PM to 9AM. We were offered to leave our bags in house until our return from Tangier - but could not as we had to leave before a clerk was available and thank goodness as our delayed return brought us back after they closed. None of these are reasons not to select this pleasant hotel. Just be aware so your expectations are met.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank DillonPayton
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Good option if you are not looking for all the usual hotel amenities. The hotel is centrally located, close to beach and the ferry to Morocco. The rooms are nice with a little kitchen and dining area, but as the building is quite old, some parts look worn out. A hair dryer in the room would be nice. Service at front desk was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nathalie D
Reviewed 29 November 2010

The hotel pictures are exactly like the hotel. Very cute and quaint. However, we were taken to our rooms and one room they put us in (we had a 1 year old with us) how the bed up metal steps in a loft area, and the other bed on the lower level. While looking at it, I feel down the steps and cut my leg in two places. They never followed up, or even offered a band-aid. They do move the room. We had 3 adults and 4 children, we did book 2 rooms. The room was fine. But it did not have a phone so if we wanted to communicate with our daughter and her children, we had to go to the next level up (3rd floor). Most of this we could overcome, but there is nothing worse after falling, putting ice on my leg (I did have a contusion from the fall, and the side of my foot bruised, my being clumsy). I wanted a hot shower (did not have a bathtub), I could not get any hot water.....not even luke warm. Neither could my daughter. So none of us could bath or shower. We had to take a wash cloth and heat in the microwave. We did not have a phone in our room to be able to call the front desk, and when my husband went to the front desk (after we paid) we could not find anyone about to help us. We own a small lodging as well so I try to offer as much info as possible. I would still recommend this hotel, the town is lovely, etc. but I would ensure the hot water is addressed prior to checking in. This is where you want to stay if you plan to travel by ferry to Morraco the next day as we did. No internet and no parking, hard to find.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Susane G
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I wasn't expecting much due to the low price of the rooms (less than 65 Euro) when I booked several months out, but I was pleasantly surprised. We booked the single rooms, not the apartment rooms as we were only going to need one night prior to a day trip to Morocco.

It wasn't too hard to find and the staff was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were tastefully decorated in a style complimentary to the small town of Tarifa with spanish tiles, marble, and colorful walls. The room was larger than I'd expected as well, with plenty of room for some furniture or a seating area which I wished had been available, but wasn't. It was air conditioned. The room we had wasn't facing the front, but rather a side alley, so it was very quiet at night.

We were unable to make the new-looking plasma TV to work, it appeared there might have been interference with the satellite signal possibly? But we didn't mind as we were pretty tired anyway.

The bathrooms were very large compared to most I've had while traveling in Europe. There was a lot of counter space to put personal belongings near the sink which I hadn't had any many other hotels or B&B's.

We did have to park our car a little farther down the street and then later moved it to a parking lot (paid). I don't know if we could have left it on the street, but I suspect so. We wanted the car in a safer location as we were leaving it for nearly 24 hours. The hotel is located right by the busy Cafe Central, and a few other local hot spots, so we felt more comfortable moving the car to a secure lot.

All in all it was a great find and I now wish I had stayed in Tarifa a little longer. Maybe next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple