“Exquisite fish fayre”

Restaurante El Ancla
Reserve with
Restaurante El Ancla is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 64 Restaurants in Carmona
Price range: US$ 19 - US$ 47
Dining options: Reservations
Description: EL ANCLA is a Bar/Restaurant, open every day of the year from 8.00 hours until closing hours (seasonal) 23.00/1.30. Here can taste both local, and sea products best, Iberian meats of our northern highlands and ox and Galician calves. We have one living room, one for tapas, a bar more than 10 meters long, as well as a terrace equipped for summer and winter.
Reviewed 19 May 2017

This is probably one of the best restaurants in the immediate area, specialising in fish. The laid-back feel of the terrace in no way extends to the service and, most importantly, to expertise of the kitchen. Truly I have never had a better dish of merluza in my life – it was exquisite - and likewise my husband’s main dish of octopus. The clams as a starter were excellent and the wine most drinkable. Brush up on your menu Spanish and budget circa €60 for two for a most splendid supper. Visit!

1  Thank Barbara M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

My wife and I were in the Seville neighbourhood following an overnight stop at the Roman city of Italica. Having visited the city in the morning we set off to Carmona for some further Roman sight seeing. From the ruins you have two lunch options. One is to drive into the center of Carmona and try to find a parking space. The other is to find an eatery on the periphery. I had read that El Ancla was good, it fitted the second option and was just around the corner with plenty of parking just outside.

From the outside it doesn't look like anything much, a typical local Spanish bar. Don't be put off though. Experience has taught me appearances can be deceptive regarding Spanish restaurants. It looks a lot better on the inside but gives no impression of the quality to come. We settled down and chose a tinto de verano to drink to start with. It was excellent and I am immediately impressed. Next up are three tapas to start with. Croquetas de bacalao, a mixed fish burger and a plate of lambs kidneys. They were all cooked to perfection and we know there is a very fine kitchen here. My main was a large lemon sole and my wife opted for scallops. Both very fresh and first rate. The deserts are homemade and very creative and you normally only get that at top end in Spain.

Service was extremely friendly and professional throughout. The drinks list was good too and we settled for a bottle of fino sherry. This turned out to be a memorable meal and I would go to Carmona again just to visit this restaurant. It specialises in seafood but the meat is excellent as well. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

We ate lunch here based on a recommendation while staying near Carmona and weren't disappointed.
There is an extensive menu with hot and cold starters, available in various sizes, as well as meat, fish, vegetables etc. All prices seemed reasonable to us but then it depends on your budget.
We ate goats cheese salad, artichokes & ham, dorada a la plancha and two deserts - turron and a coulant de chocolate. With two beers the bill came to €36. See my photo for what it looked like!
A set menu is available but this wasn't given to us, we just noticed it when leaving.
The staff were very friendly, service was excellent and the food very good.
There are options to sit outside under a canopy or inside. Inside is nothing fancy but is clean and nicely laid out. There is a bar for those wanting tapas Spanish style!
Parking is on the street outside.
If you don't speak Spanish, take your phrase book to help with the menu.

1  Thank JWWRIGHT
Reviewed 20 July 2016 via mobile

Given the other favourable reviews, I'm sorry to have to report that I have seldom had worse food.
The main man was friendly and helpful, but our meal was a disaster.
Our aubergine starter had been fried in old fat, and was pretty unpleasant.
Our sole main course was served with its internal organs intact and bleeding. After that we couldn't look at any more food.
They knew we were not happy, but they didn't seem to care.
I feel badly misled by the other reviews.

Reviewed 30 October 2015

We were staying at the Parador in Carmona and wanted to try something different for our last night. El Ancla was billed as having an interesting menu, so we thought we'd give it a try.... So glad we did! We had a very warm welcome and the food was both imaginative and excellent. No translation of the menu, but our waitress made a huge effort to communicate the details...which led to much laughter! Altogether so much better than the rather boring and limited eating experience at the Parador!

3  Thank Judy P