“Loved this place!”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Loved this place!”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Strandhill Lodge & Suites was a random recommendation from a friend who lives in the area. Before going, I checked the reviews on TA and saw that they were all excellent. Our experience of this hotel completely lived up to expectations. I, and two friends, arrived from London for New Years Eve. We had a lovely greeting on arrival at reception from the two young ladies working that day - they were so friendly, but in a natural, not-over-the-top way. Check in was quick.

Our triple room was spotless, enormous and really well equipped with a TV / DVD, iPod dock, fridge and hairdryer. Wifi was free and generally reliable Really everything you could possibly need when away from home. Within minutes of getting to our room, one of the ladies on reception had rung around and found out our local nightlife options for NYE!

Continental breakfast was provided up to 11am (bonus!) and was really very nice. The hotel staff were very helpful when we were deciding what to see in the surrounding area. David was really knowledgeable about Sligo and gave clear directions.

We only had one complaint, and this was that the room was quite hot even with the heating switched off. For this reason, I've rated sleep quality as average. However, overall, staying there was a lovely experience, especially given the time of year when the staff might have been busy and stressed. They really could not do enough for us.

It goes without saying that the surrounding area is beautiful and the locals friendly, but this hotel is outstanding, especially when you consider the very reasonable rates. I recommend this hotel highly and I hope to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
DavidMcCoy, Manager at Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Lindagray

Thankyou so much for taking the time to review us. It is greatly appreciated.

Im so glad you and your friends enjoyed the few days you spent here; I have passed on your kind comments to Lisa and Miriam also who provided the tour guiding for New years Eve!

We seek to provide a top quality service to all our guests both in terms of what we provide and the service that we offer. We all enjoy giving directions on the area as we feel that if you leave Sligo without enjoying its beauty and environment then you have never seen Sligo properly.

Strandhill is fabulous as you outlined and the locals in the area provide a friendly and welcome environment to all who visit the area.

Thankyou again for taking the time to review and I hope we will see you in Strandhill as some stage in the future if i can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to let me know.

David McCoy
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2011

The rooms are spacious, clean ( beds very comfortable ) and as with the rest of the hotel the rooms have been decorated and maintained to an excellent standard, The staff could not be more welcoming ...probably the friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in.
I have now stayed on several occasions this year ... due to business commitments in the area and it really has become a home from home...it's a marvelous place to stay.

Although there is no restaurant or bar this is not a negative in the slightest..the continental breakfast served every morning is ideal and the pubs and bars in the area are excellent.

Nothing is a trouble to any of the staff....great service and good fun....recommend this hotel to anyone.

Tony B

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Tonyb

Thankyou so much for your review; it is greatly appreciated. We strive to put service as our number 1 objective and in this we seek to ensure that our guests are made feel as welcome as possible.

I am glad you enjoy your time with us and hopefully will do so for a long time to come.

Thanks for taking the time to review it is greatly appreciated.

Southwest U.S.
Reviewed 29 November 2011

This is the perfect place to stay in the Sligo area. I liked everything about it. Our host and hostesses were perfect in every way. David McCoy, the manager, is very knowledgeable of the area and of Ireland in general. He was helpful in so many ways and clearly enjoys his job. Even before we arrived he told us the best roads to take and the sights along the way. Our rooms were very comfortable: large and well-equipped with a stunning view of the sea. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Strandhill Lodge and Suites again, in fact I hope I do.
The little town of Strandhill had some very good restaurants. The Venue Bar next door and Shells down at the beach were both very good. And don't forget the Voya spa for the seaweed baths. Absolutely divine.
The entire county of Sligo has a magic about it and there is so much to see. In Sligo town we had a fun lunch at the café at the Yeats Memorial House on the Hyde Bridge. Good Cappuccinos and Lasagne! and a lovely owner who went out of her to return our lost bag. The museum is very interesting and the curator charming and very helpful.
Enjoy your stay at the Lodge and say "hi" to David from us!

Room Tip: The individual rooms have their balconies whereas the suites on the top floor do not.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peacefultravelfortwo
DavidMcCoy, Manager at Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2011
Dear peacefultravelfortwo

Thankyou so much for taking the time to review us. I'm delighted that you found the experience to your liking. As I often mention we are lucky to have such a magnificent scenic area whether the sun is shining or not!

I'm glad also you liked the room, the balcony rooms do have terrific views of the ocean and surrounds. Sligo also has an abundance of sights and experiences and there is plenty to do.

I'm delighted also that you enjoyed Strandhill; as an area that is largely undiscovered by some it is beautiful and the locals certainly compliment it.

Thankyou again for taking the time to review; and we enjoyed meeting you and hosting you during your stay. I trust the rest of your tour through Ireland was equally as enjoyable. I hope we will see you again soon..

If i can be of further help or assistance please don't hesitate to let me know.

Cork
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This hotel was excellent, it was spotlessly clean, rooms very roomy and the service was 'old school' efficient, friendly and helpful. The rooms are very large and the beds very comfortable - I never sleep well on the first night in a hotel but I did here! The continetal breakfast offered was excellent and it was great that the breakfast area was open from 7 - 11am so early or later visits were accomodated. There is no bar or restaurant but that was well advised on the website and the area is surrounded by excellent bars/restaurants within easy walking distance. Definately worth a visit!

Room Tip: The sea view rooms with balcony are excellent.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
DavidMcCoy, General Manager at Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear Suzi K

Thankyou so much for taking the time to review us after your recent stay. We really appreciate the positive feedback and your kind comments also.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and the area also - we pride ourselves in Strandhill on providing a quality product one that we hope will have guests returning again and again. All the bars located so close certainly provide us with the missing bar and restuarant but also adds to our product as it ensures peace and serenity at all times!

I'm glad you like the extended breakfast hours as we feel that when you're away its not always good to be rising too early especially after indulging in the local nightlife on the evening before!!

Thankyou again Suzi for the kind comments and i look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I have recently returned from a weekend break in Strandhill with my partner and we were absolutely delighted with it. Ideally located,stunning scenery,exceptional customer service,clean rooms...we have noticed a great cooperation between the locals, restaurants nearby offer an awesome choice of food, wines and beers. dont miss the voya seaweed bath experience and links golf course.cannot wait to come back!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear lenkakol

Many thanks for taking the time out of your day to write such a pleasant review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your time here in Strandhill and that you found the locality to be friendly and inviting.

There is a great deal of co-operation here in the village and we like to think that as a whole we provide everything our guests could want - great restaurants, great bars and a host of activities - the Voya Baths being among the best activities in the Sligo and must see attraction in the area.

The golf course is spectacular and really largely undiscovered but is here since the 1940s and has developed into a fine links course with beautiful clubhouse and environs.

I hope we will see you back in Strandhill very soon let me know when you book and i'll be sure you get a similar room.

Thankyou again

David McCoy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strandhill
7.2 km away
Clayton Hotel Sligo
#6 of 8 in Sligo
4.8 km away
Yeats Country Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre

Been to Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK