Sandhouse Hotel(Rossnowlagh)
US$ 146
Creevy Pier Hotel(Ballyshannon)
Free cancellation until 21/07
US$ 115
Dun Na Si Guesthouse(Ballyshannon)
US$ 105
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$ 140
US$ 136
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsscampirossnowlagh beachoystersbooked a tablebriegreat tabledonegal baychowderstunning viewsmain coursewindow seatfirst classfew drinkslovely mealate herebar menufantastic food
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

Wasn't impressed I felt I was being a nuisance as I could not find any food which wouldn't trigger my allergies and illness. Therefore it took ages to choose as the allergy numbering system is not on the ordinary menus nor online which would have been very helpful as I could have pointed out to my family that it wasn't a suitable place for me. Eventually had a very dry fish dish as the dressing I suggested to the waitress, who was trying to help, wasn't on the meal. Salad was not well presented and I had potatoes. However I wasn't the only one disappointed, Dad and hubby commented that the food at an excellent hotel not too far was far better. I'm really sorry because I had wanted to have a fantastic meal, couldn't get in when we were in the area last time, at least I know now.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Ate here 2 nights in a row, good choice on menu with specials as well. Had the special one night which was sword fish and it was amazing. The food is fresh and very tasty. In busy times you would probably need to have booked and to get a window seat you definitely need to have booked.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sparkycheek
Reviewed 10 September 2017

10th Wedding Anniversary and 63rd birthday booked for Sept 1st, and told the Restaurant staff when booking about this special occasion. we arrived for the 7pm booking, and was told it wasn't in their booking., It was found and we were placed on a bar table bordering between their Restaurant which we booked and the bar. I told them repeatedly at least 4 times and asked could we have a window seat with sea view, excuses included booked, (yet when we left there were still some vacant) kept for residents, and people who booked ages ago, what rotten customer care! Food overpriced and not good, the piece of trout they gave me would be good if I was four, and need extra chips to eat, as the amount on the place was small. We got out of there as fast as we could, and they even were charging us extra for coffee we didn't order. They can keep their view, prices and food, avoid money making for holiday makers, keep clear.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gwen McNamara B
Smugglers C, Owner at Smugglers Creek Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear, Gwen,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit. Unfortunately, it seems that you departed feeling disappointed with your overall experience. As I take our guest feedback very seriously, I immediately investigated into the matters raised and found that your comments are unjust. Let me share the facts with you and other TripAdvisor users:

1. The reservation was made by your husband, unfortunately, there was no mentioned of Wedding Anniversary or Birthday celebration. We couldn’t find your reservation in the first instance as it was booked under your husband’s first name, not surname. Anyhow, from the moment you arrived, to the time you were seated at your table, took a total of 1 minute.

2. Our Restaurant Reservation Policy asks customers to make their table reservation as early as possible and we endeavour to accommodate all special requests, however, reservation for tables next to windows cannot be guaranteed. The table you were seated is located in the Conservatory Restaurant, which adjacent to the Bar. Many customers love this table because it is set back from the large windows, it provides a more panoramic views of Donegal Bay.

3. I noted the fact that you spoke with my team in several occasions asking to be moved to a table by the windows. My staff, in each occasion, politely explained to you that those tables were reserved for guests who were staying at the Inn and the booking was made many weeks ago and were also celebrating their birthdays/anniversaries, and they knew the specific tables they reserved. I am sure you would have remembered the balloon, the birthday banner and birthday gift that was left on the table awaiting for the arrival of our guests. My staff did not make “excuses”, they simply upheld our Restaurant Reservation Policy because guest satisfaction is always our utmost concern. My staff would not give away another guests’ tables knowing the fact that would certainly upset them. I will strongly disagree on calling this “rotten customer care”.

4. Regarding the food, 6 minutes after delivering the food to your table, our Duty Manager Ian checked your table to ensure that everything was good. He was given no hint of the dissatisfaction that you and your husband felt so strongly about at that time. In fact, you asked him what the compliment to the Trout was, which he explained it was Orzo - small pieces of pasta, shaped like grains of rice, and your reply was, “it’s delicious”. So, how did it get from "delicious" to "not good"?

5. Our a la carte Menu is priced similar to other restaurant in the area. The Baked Fillet of Trout is priced at €16.95. You get a freshly cooked trout fillet served with “cooked to order” Orzo pasta with a hint of Parmesan cheese and sundried tomato and sauce. It’s a very popular and good size dish which satisfy most customers’ appetite. I would invite TripAdvisor readers to visit our website and check out our “a la carte menu” for prices and judge it for themselves.

6. About the coffee that was left on your bill from the previous table, please accept my sincere apologies for the genuine mistake. My Duty Manager, Ian realised that you did not have any coffee so he “voided” it off your bill, you were not charged for the coffee. As we strive to be 100% accurate with bills, we also ask our customers to check their bills each time to ascertain that it is correct.

7. You noticed you left the table “as fast as you could” because your husband left his glasses on the table. One of my waitresses found it, ran after you and returned it to your husband. I saw a “smile” on your face, maybe you have forgotten about this?

Fortunately, we do have a lot of wonderful customers visiting us at Smugglers Creek, people from all walks of life and all over the world, who appreciate what we have to offer. Just read some of the other reviews on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Have eaten here several times this summer, the latest being today. Each time our experience has been faultless.
Food - A, Service/Staff - A, Value for money - A. Finally, add to this the stunning view over Rossnowlagh. Look forward to returning.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter T
Reviewed 1 September 2017

Smuggler's has a wonderful ,old fashioned atmosphere and is a reminder of what good pubs should be. The views are spectacular, the fish dishes excellent and the beer super. The owners go out of their way to make people welcome and have created a great venue in this part of Donegal. It can get crowded at weekends so booking a table is advisable. Try the fish of the day.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family