Sandhouse Hotel
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrossnowlagh beachsand housesea viewmarine spasurfers barfour poster bednooks and cranniessunday lunchreception areaopen firewild atlantic waydining room ischowderglasshouse restaurantthird floorsecond to nonebit dated
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We have just spent a few days at the Sandhouse in the rain and we both really enjoyed it. The staff were so friendly and helpful. On our last night, we decided to go to the Smugglers' restaurant and asked the receptionist to book us a taxi. As she was having difficulty getting one, the other receptionist offered to take us and collect us. Breakfast in the morning was excellent and it was great that our order was taken at the table and brought to us. Much better than a buffet. Our room was on the top floor and was very comfortable. My one criticism was that there wasn't individual toiletries, just bottles of soap and hand cream attached to the wall. We had dinner in the hotel on 2 nights and the food was of a high standard. I was a little disappointed that the menu didn't change each night even a little as suggested on the website. We definitely intend going back in the summer when the weather is hopefully better.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room with a sea view. A twin room has a double and a single bed in it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Aerobird
PDiver, General Manager at Sandhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. We will take your comments on board also. Kind regards Paul

Reviewed 2 December 2011

I stayed for one night in the Sandhouse, Rossnowlagh the day afer I checked out of Harveys Point (See my other review) and boy did I regret it.
My reasons are quiet simple. To start with I found the hotel to be quiet expensive, the night prior I was in a 5 star resort and paid only a few euro more so Euro for Euro I can't understand how the Sandhouse justified its price. The second issue I had is that I booked the room over the phone about a week before travelling and yes you guessed it there lost my reservation. In this day and age for a reception staff member to take a phone booking and then not enter it into the system is unforgivable.
Now for me this hotel is a 2-3 star quality, with the typical type of decor and rooms I seem to find dotted around Irish coast resorts, ie shabby and old. The hotel seems to be living off the fact that Tony Blair used to stay there as a kid, in fact it advertises this. Thats just not a good enough reason to stay here or in any hotel.
I had breakfast one of the mornings which I did find acceptable so no issues there but I cant comment on the dinner quality as I ate elsewhere.
My biggest gripe with the hotel those was the treatment by the staff when I needed assistance. Our car was damaged in the car park and i asked the reception staff to have security to check the CCTV for me. I was told this would be done and they'll call me with the info needed. I checked out knowing that the matter wasin hand. After a few days with no phone call I called back to follow up, again I was told it was no problem and they would call me back. You guessed it, they didnt call me back, in fact they never returned a single call over the numerous times that I contacted them. Even the manager ywho seemed eager to help when I spoke to him didnt bother calling me back. The simple fact here is that the hotel (family run) didnt care one little bit about its customers and the fact that my car was damaged on their property. Sandhouse, you broke the golden rule !! Pu the customer first !!!
So in a nut shell, overall I found the hotel to be poor quality but worse than that the customer servce or lack of it should put doubts in your mind as to whether or not you should spend your money here. I wont be back and I will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Seanie_pc
Reviewed 15 November 2011

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were made feel so welcome, checked in in less than 1 minute, the friendly reception staff show you to your room and take time to chat you as they do. The rooms were so comfy, with out of this world view, we had a lovely seating area at our window and spent hours looking out on the beach over a glass (or 2...) of wine. The room was nice and spacious with a very generous size bathroom. We stayed 2 nights, our plan was to eat in the hotel the 1st night and dine out the second, however the food was to die for and the dining room staff so attentive that we decided to eat in the hotel the second night also, definately the right decision. As we made our way to the bar after dinner on the Saturday night we met the manager who took time to chat us and make sure we were enjoying our stay, in most hotels u don't ever see the manager never mind them stopping to talk to you. Rossnowlagh is a lovely part of the world and we will definately be returning to the Sandhouse Hotel in the near future

Room Tip: Definately book a sea view room
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my girlfriend for one night. I was very disappointed with this hotel, firstly we were not allowed to check into our room until 4pm even though their website states check in is from 2pm. When we got into our room, the reception on the TV was awful. We questioned this with the girl at reception who told us we could not expect a decent TV reception was we were "not close enough to the roof and therefore the connection couldn't expected to be good". The attitude of the receptionist was disappointing as she displayed little in the way of customer service. They did change the TV to a small flatscreen but the reception did not improve. One good point was the location and breakfast which were exceptional. Overall disappointed with the hotel, I would not recommend anyone to stay here and I will certainly not be returning in the future. On a side note, I wrote a letter of complaint to the hotel manager and I did not receive a requested response. Again shocking customer service displayed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank John S
PDiver, Manager at Sandhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am delighted you enjoyed your breakfast and out location. Unfortunately we have a price to pay for our stunning location, a poor tv reception. Given that we are located practically on the beach surrounded by cliffs and beautiful mountains it is very difficult to get a perfect tv reception all of the time so I do sincerely apologise that we could not provide you with a clear reception on your television..

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My husband and I with our two kids are just back from a 1 night stay here,and we were dying to stay longer but couldnt,due to work commitments..we loved our connecting rooms with sea view! It was very warm everywhere in the hotel...a warm hotel lobby is indeed hard to find..very comfy beds..lashings of hot water and excellent dinner(though my cod was very well cooked!!...) and breakfast,served at the table,which is also a rare pleasure! The staff were all lovely and we tried to book again,but alas they close for the winter...a real gem...on a beautiful beach...sigh...we'll be back!

Room Tip: Definitely one with a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family