New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Fabulous Food, Great Service!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bosun

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monkstown
The Bosun
Ranked #1 of 2 Monkstown B&B and Inns
Co Cork
“Fabulous Food, Great Service!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

Firstly I did not actually stay at this Restaurant/B&B. I only called in today for food.
I only recently moved to Passage West which is about 5-10 mins drive before you get to Monkstown & I drove out that way with my partner about two times since we moved here a few months ago. We passed The Bosun & some people were sitting outside so I mentioned to my partner that we must stop off there someday for food.

Anyway, that day was today! Before I go any further with my thoughts on the place, I just want to say that I am shocked with the bad reviews that I just read here in the last few minutes. I did not experience any of the problems the last few people have but I do not doubt there experiences at the same time, they could have been very unlucky or maybe we were lucky today! Who knows!

Right, when we arrived, the place was very busy inside & feeling a bit hot, I asked one of the guys serving if we could sit outside. He said no problem & said he would come out with menus. We found a lovely set of large table & benches (with backs on them) out the front area. We were not sitting down long when the waiter came to give us the menus & he left to let us ponder a gorgeous ample menu full of lovely treats in the line of starters & main courses. We were spoilt for choice on the lunch menu. I mentioned to my partner that the food must be good here as it had received a mention on the bottom of the menu from Mr Paulo Tullio (Famous author, critic & chef).
The waiter came back to take our order & he was very polite & took our orders without a hitch.

We normally go for a starter & a main course but we thought as the dessert options looked so nice, we would have a main course & a dessert.

So I had the rib of roast beef in brandy & peppercorn sauce for main course & so did my partner. It came with a small bowl of veg & a scoop of mash potato which was enough as it also came with a bowl of chips/fries. The veg included broccoli, carrots & red cabbage. The main plate was heaped with gorgeous roast beef, four whole slices & the sauce was the nicest I have ever tasted as it very much tasted of strong black pepper corns which I personally love!
I have to say that my main course was absolutely beautiful, the flavours were amazing & now I realized why Mr Tullio had seen to allow his name to be placed on their menus!!
I cannot describe how much I enjoyed it today.

Anyway, after the main course, we were not sure if we would be able for the dessert but as I had taken a call from a family member, it was another short while before we ordered dessert so we were looking forward to it.

I ordered passion fruit delice (like a cheesecake) with mango coulis & cream while my partner had the warm apple & berry crumble with custard & cream.
When I tasted my passion fruit delice, it was heaven, the flavours again were gorgeous but when I tasted the apple & berry crumble my partner had, I was in awe, it was better than my dessert & I am going out on a limb here because it was without doubt, the second nicest dessert I have ever tasted (after my gorgeous chocolate dessert I had in the Clarion hotel in Stockholm in 2009!) !

Anyway, before I fall over myself with excitement at the thought of going back again very soon & hoping they have the same menu, I really, really adored my meal there today & fully intend bringing some of my family there very soon!
Can't wait to go back again!

Oh, before I go....prices:
Rib of Beef: €13.95 (for 4 huge slices, well worth the money)
Dessert: €5.50 (very cheap considering how gorgeous they were!)
Glass of coke: €2.75 (too expensive for me, it was a small glass)
Glass of Milk: €1.40 (Reasonable enough)
Cappuccino: €3.00 (Huge cups so worth the money)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

Went there in November for a family meal. When booking (in advance) asked to be seated in the Restaurant. When we arrived we were put in a room upstairs which was quite basic with a freezing cold stairway to negotiate on the way. I didn't appreciate not being told about that we were to be banished to the 'attic' when I booked.

The owner/manager was in the restaurant that night and he never came near us just to say hello and thank us for our business. The restaurant was not busy on the night and he certainly could have made an effort. I approached him myself in a friendly manner and introduced myself. He didn't care one way or the other really. I find this strange behaviour from someone in the hospitality business.

The menu was extensive and some of the dishes were good but some were awful. Personally, I enjoyed my meal but most of the others in the party didn't. One of us who asked for his beef to be rare got it well and truly well well done. Stupid.
The worst aspect of this night out was the rudeness of the serving staff. We are a well behaved non rowdy quiet group and only few of us were drinking alcohol on the night. The most that any of us had were two or three small glasses of wine. There was no need for rudeness, we were not rude to them. We were in the restaurant at 6pm and gone by 8:30pm, hardly a group of hardened party animals.

There were three servers involved, one of them was an irish girl with short blonde hair who was nice, but her two non irish colleagues were horrible people. Rude and cold and unwelcoming. If they are not happy working in the hospitality industry then they should leave it. Their attitude really made for a cold, hostile and most uncomfortable experience.

I left a tip because the irish girl was very nice and there was barman downstairs who was also pleasant. Thin, dark hair and glasses. However I'm kind of sorry now that I did.

I was disgusted that the owner didn't even call up to the "attic" to see us and for that alone I will never set foot in the place again. There is no excuse in the hospitality industry for inhospitality. This was not my first time at the Bosun but I can guarantee you, it will be my last. There are so many great places to eat in Cork, but this is nto one of them. Absolutely disgusted.

• Stayed December 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bryno
West Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

I should say first of all that we did not stay here - we had lunch. My sister and I were over from England and were taking our elderly mother out for a special treat. with a friend of hers. The lunch did not get off to a good start as, upon arrival, I was reprimanded by the owner for not having understood his very strict booking rules when I made the reservation. It seems that you either book in the Restaurant (set meal) OR the bar and there does not seem to much flexibility about this. We decided to stay in the Restaurant as my mother is in a wheelchair and it seemed easier. We were the only people in there, there were no lights and we felt very isolated. It would have been so much nicer if the owner had assessed the situation and suggested that rather than put us in an empty dining room he could make space for us in the bar. We spent rather a lot of money - a plate of scampi cost Euros 24 - and were made to feel unwelcome, unwanted and unappreciated . I would like to nominate The Bosun for the Most Unwelcoming Restaurant in Ireland Award.

• Stayed November 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

We stumbled onto The Bosun due to the fact that we missed the last ferry over to Cobh. We were exhausted and were thrilled to find a cozy room with a nice size bathroom and a hairdryer! (great for US travelers who didn't bring a hairdryer.) :) The staff was amazing. Very friendly and accommodating. Too bad we arrived so late, I would have enjoyed trying out their restaurant for dinner, however the breakfast, which was included in the price, was very nice. The breakfast room was very quaint and sunny. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family and I would definitely stay there again, should I find myself back in Monkstown.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
bandon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

I was here several times, and i find it very good.i like the creativity of the menu, having exotic thinghs like ostrich or kangaroo.i had a lovely turbot dish and my wife the monkfish.will go back again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monkstown
5.8 km away
2.8 km away
Ardeen B&B
Ardeen B&B
#9 of 14 in Cobh

Been to The Bosun? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK