Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Clemens K

The best part of our stay in Iceland

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 Sept 2018
We stayed two nights in one of the yurts and really loved the experience. Traustholtsholmi is such a beautiful island, where you can simply slow down and relax. The yurts are super cosy, the food was delicious and Hákon and his dog Skuggi are great hosts. You'll learn a lot about the island and the Icelandic culture during the time you spend with them.

The highlight is the food tour, where you get both fresh salmon right at the river as well as grilled salmon and salads plus homemade dessert. Compared what you are getting in the rest of Iceland, the experience is very fairly priced. We are definitely coming back!
Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
  • Priceline
    ₹26,363
30.4 km from Traustholtsholmi
Free parking
Up to seven people can sleep in the apartments
₹19,971
    ₹23,752
    ₹26,564
62.3 km from Traustholtsholmi
Free parking
Welcome to Minniborgir Cottages & Restaurant!
₹54,235
    ₹54,235
30.9 km from Traustholtsholmi
Restaurant
₹17,113
No fees just great deals
  • Booking.com
    ₹22,260
    ₹23,735
20.2 km from Traustholtsholmi
View more hotels in Selfoss
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

This was the most amazing part of our Iceland trip. Hákon was warm and welcoming and a wonderful host. It was a great spot to getaway with friends and I imagine it would be a very lovely couples trip as well. The Yurts were beautiful and so was the island.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Our stay on the island was my absolute favorite part of visiting Iceland. It was so unbelievably beautiful and peaceful. From the second we met Hakom, we knew we were in good hands. I loved net fishing and catching a huge salmon to eat for dinner, sleeping in the long grass, jumping in the glacial water, and walking barefoot everywhere I went. The yert was so cozy that I slept like a baby! I didn’t want to leave!!

I promised myself I will be back. Thank you, Hakom!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2018

This private island is such an amazing experience you will never forget. It was the highlight of our trip to Iceland. The whole island is absolutely gorgeous and serene. Hakon is just a joy and a great cook as well. The yurts are ridiculously comfortable. I would recommend this trip to anyone who wants an amazing once in a lifetime experience.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2018

Arriving at the pick up point makes you excited and anxious for what is to come... when you are greeted graciously by Hakon and his wonderful dog 'Shadow', you immediately feel relaxed and comfortable. You understand straight away you are in good hands.

It hard to write a review on such a beautiful unique place as its incomparable to anything we had ever done before. The yurt accommodation is FANTASTIC, its so basic that the pure simplicity makes it a real luxury.... no electricity, no wifi, no ensuite.. it gives you the perfect opportunity to be at one with nature. Its only a short walk in the blissful grass to the WC and shower facilities.

Its so magical to be on this Island so remote from the real world, its hard to put into words what you will feel when you are staying there.

The food; well... another absolute luxury, to eat fresh wild salmon straight from the river , cut and prepared sashimi style by Hakon himself is just awesome. you cook in the evening on an open fire, you feel more like you are at a friends house having dinner relaxing and sharing stories.

Another thing I must mention is the STARS. There are so many stars int he sky and one may not realise this until you visit a remote place such as Traustholtshólmi. Again, I will just say it is 'MAGICAL'.
you have to be ready for a unique adventure and to be at one with your surrounding. We already cannot wait to go back again next year.

Room tip: Unique Experience, magical setting
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2018

Traustholtshólmi is an island in the glacial river Þjórsá, and staying here is one of the most unique experiences you can enjoy in Iceland.
Hákon offers accommodation in one of several Mongolian yurts on the island and will pick you up by boat from the riverbank together with his dog Skuggi.
I stayed for one night in late July and was the the only guest that night which made the experience even more special. I settled in to my yurt and explored the island for a bit. Then Hákon prepared sashimi at the dock from freshly caught salmon that was just minutes out of the water. Incredibly good! There is no way you will ever have fresher fish. The rest was grilled for dinner and served with delicious salads.
I had a great night's sleep in a bed piled with pillows and blankets and fit for a king. It was dark in the yurt (unlike in many other places in Iceland in July) and so quiet and peaceful. An oven, a candle lamp, drinking water, and a chair and nightstand to put my stuff on were provided.
The next morning I had breakfast, and afterwards Hákon gave me a ride back over the river to where I had parked my car.
If you are looking for peace, solitude and a truly unique experience together with amazing food you cannot go wrong with Traustholtshólmi. Most of my Icelandic friends had heard of it and were jealous I got to go.

Date of stay: July 2018