Tzampoc Resort
Casa Palopo(Santa Catarina Palopo)
US$ 308
US$ 282
Villa Santa Catarina(Santa Catarina Palopo)(Great Value!)
US$ 155
US$ 41
Rancho Grande Inn(Panajachel)
US$ 114
US$ 105
Porta Hotel Del Lago(Panajachel)
US$ 134
US$ 131
  • Pool
Hotel Utz Jay(Panajachel)(Great Value!)
US$ 43
US$ 40
Hotel Dos Mundos(Panajachel)
US$ 91
US$ 128
US$ 90
All reviewstzam pocoverlooks the lakethe hotel staffswimming poolweddingviewsguatemalanature
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

We visited Tzam Poc Resort in late March 2017. We were here for our pre-honey moon. We need to rest and relax after our wedding in Guatemala. We were so thrilled to stay here as we had seen picture of this resort and they all looked so beautiful, to our surprise this place is not as seen in pictures. The grounds need maintenance, some fresh paint and gardening would do the trick. The beds were very uncomfortable and the bedding was very very old. I am sure it was washed but because it is so old it looks dirty. This place does not offer a restaurant and the bar at the pool was closed during our staying. Perhaps it was bc if it's off season but I would assume they would have mentioned this to us given the fact that they do not offer any food or restaurant elsewhere in their premises.

I am a backpacker at heart and have stayed in tons of hostels so I am used to the low key low maintenance lodging but I know this when I'm staying at a $12-30 HOSTEL! This is a resort and a pricey one I expected a lot more than what we received.
The one positive thing I will say is about the staff! They are all so so sweet and caring but they can only do so much. This is clearly a management/owner issue. I hope that they can do something to fix this issue as the location has tons of potential.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cristina P
Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

When we booked our stay we were a bit nervous because of some of the reviews/lack of recent reviews. But when we got there we couldn't believe that someone could even write anything bad about this place. Everyone at the resort is incredibly nice and accommodating. They wanted to make sure we were happy and we were. The view from the pool was unreal. Our room was very cute and clean!! They don't serve dinner at the resort and offered to take us into town and would pick us up. But instead we just ordered some snacks for dinner and they were able to make that for us. This place is a dream. It's not your typical 5 star hotel - this place has a lot of character and worth every penny spent. Also - their complimentary breakfast is so good!! Honestly we loved this place and can't stop raving about it.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2016

We are a couple from Holland, for the first time in Guatemala. This place was the perfect place to visit; to enjoy the nature around the lake and have some luxury at the same time. This resort is personal and unique, because of it's architecture, the staff and the location up the hills. We where lucky to be the only guests around, so we got the best service and tips! Lucio has been a wonderfull host! From the resort you can visit the villages around the lake or you can stay in and enjoy the view from the pool. We recommend coming during the week, so the admosphere is more quiet.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosa H
Reviewed 15 January 2016

This hotel is very memorable. It's unobstructed views are breathtaking and the architectural design is far from typical. I think the owner Luciano lives on the property and his love for the exotic and eclectic style is reflected throughout the hotel. His bungalows are an extension of his home with nautilus shaped structures surrounded by lush flora.

Since Guatemala is not the US, most accommodations maintain a distinct South American convention. I wasn't expecting the hotel to fit inside some sort of "Western" box of hotel standards. We reserved bungalow #2, which was equipped with a kitchen and everything we needed. I call it "rustic Spanish luxury"... unique all to itself. I will be posting a video of our bungalow along with the pool views (if I can figure it out :)

One of my favorite things was spending our evenings on the rooftop bed while watching movies on our laptop... we used cushions from our sitting area to make a nest. The stars were so bright and the weather so mild. Also waking up to a bountiful and healthy breakfast on their scenic veranda made us feel like royalty. And after a long day of village hopping, it was nice to come home to a tranquil pool, to sip a cocktail and watch the sun set behind San Pedro volcano.

All in all everything was easy breezy for us; however, there are a few things to note...

The wifi did not reach our bungalow. We had to go to the main house to use wifi... but even then it was spotty. I'm pretty sure it's like that though out the area since we had no luck with wifi anywhere at the lake. Just plan on getting a good international data plan in case there are issues.

Also, the driveway fluctuates from steep to very steep as it snakes up the hill, but cars do go up without issues if the motor is strong enough. If your driver has a car like a Kia full of people and luggage, then no way. But a stronger motor will be ok. If your taxi has difficulties, plan to walk it and have him drive your luggage. On a plus side, it's definitely a great workout! I ran hill repeats one morning and decided to make a video of the driveway (which I will be posting). No gym required!!

Another thing to note is that we could not find any restaurant options walking distance. Maybe you'll have better luck. One night we just wanted to chill for dinner and skip the tuk tuk drive to Pana, but our only option was the kitchen... and no food. The staff went out of our way and had a pizza delivered to us and another solo guest we friended. There might be one possible option Casa Palopó resort right next door that serves food but was closed when we called to make a dinner reservation. However; our solo traveler neighbor ate there one night with a simple walk in. Maybe that's the trick.. or the ebb and flow of their laid back culture.

Indeed, Lake Atitlan is a very special place... because of its gentle native culture occupying it's villages and the grand views. But depending on the area you choose to stay, the views could go from nice to spectacular! By far Tzam Poc has one of the most spectacular views on the lake. Perched up high on a hill, it truly has million dollar views of all three volcanoes surrounding the massive blue lake. And at night the villages that pepper the hillsides turn to clusters of sparkling lights. It almost feels surreal... like being inside a giant rock bowl with ambient sounds carrying from neighboring villages. I read that many people experience vivid lucid dreaming at the lake... which was my experience as well. I am positive staying at this hotel played a big role in our memorable experience. It is a place I will want to come back to again.

Room Tip: Bungalow 2 has a kitchen and beautiful views
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Evaaaah
Reviewed 1 July 2015

I went with my husband to celebrate our 2 year anniversary, and we had an awesome time.
Stayed for 2 nights.

Getting to the hotel is a little bit complicated, depending on the car, because it is a big hill to get to the lobby. If your car can't get up, they had a parking place and staff come and get you.

I stayed at Room #2 which has a little kitchen and living room, and a suite with bathroom. Upstairs has a terrace with a kind of bed, where you can see the sunset, it is really romantic.

The pool is an infinite style where you can see the 3 volcanoes and the lake, there is also a jacuzzi beside the pool. You can have all kind of beverages at the pool.

The restaurant offers a delicious breakfast, which includes, orange juice, coffee, fruit with yogurt and honey, eggs, ham, frijoles, cream, cheese, platanos, bread and tortilla.

I also have to mention The cons:
- The service does not include other meal besides breakfast (which is included with the price of a night)
- The nearest restaurant is in the Town (Santa Catarina Palopo) which, walking is around 10 to 15 minutes, or you can walk over there and take a boat to Panajachel. Also, you can cook as most of the rooms includes a little kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple