“Train whistle blowing”

GreenLeadersGold level
devon
“Train whistle blowing”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed a this hotel to catch the train to the Canyon.The inside of the hotel is lovely all wood clad walls and a real fire and there is a very nice bar.Rooms were very clean and a fair size ,we did hear the train whistle in the night but I guess thats all part of it.Staff were very helpfull.We had a very nice buffet breakfast across the road at the station .The hotel is an easy walk to Williams which has nice shops and good restaurants,we recommend the Red Raven.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My husband and I were planning to go on the Grand Canyon Railroad tour, but after checking in, picking up our tickets and unloading our luggage, my husband started to suffer from extreme altitude sickness and was having a terrible time breathing. After consulting our doctor via the phone, based on his recommendation we started the process of unraveling the trip. Even though it said no refunds this close to the trip, everyone was great. The people at the train station, the manager and desk staff and the restaurant cook and waitresses all went above and beyond to help us out. The hotel manager even called the hotel at the Grand Canyon we were going to stay at and arranged a refund. We were refunded for everything we didn't use - which was way beyond what they were obligated to do. The cook, Daniel, even went into the freezer to prepare a delicious salt free meal for my husband. I really cannot say enough about how great every single person was that we asked for help.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Doris M
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Was looking for a place to take the kiddo on spring break and decided it was about time to visit The Grand Canyon. I have AAA and though they offered a bundled package with rooms, train, and food, I decided to opt out of that package as I couldn't possibly dine at the same restaurant for breakfast and lunch 2-3 days in a row. I'm ever so glad I opted out of the food package. It was the worst thing about our stay and we only ate there once. $23 for one adult, one child breakfast buffet. The food was bland and cold. Like it had been cooked at 4am and then placed under heat lamps. There are far better places to dine in Williams. Our room itself was quite nice and comfortable. The walls, in my opinion, are too thin. Pool area and hot tub were clean and very relaxing. No free wi-fi though. The pre boarding show was fun. They also have a playground on site which my kid enjoyed. I didn't interact with staff much but when I did they were very helpful and pleasant. it was a nice train ride into the park with entertainment and robberies. Then there's the Grand Canyon itself. Wow. Absolutely breathtaking. You ONLY get three (3) hours in the park before having to board the train again. Take in as much of the park as you can. I suggest taking the free red shuttle to Hopi point. You get a great view of the Colorado River from there. We walked back to the village on the Rim Trail and had a spectacular view all the way back. Angel's Bright hiking trail looked inviting but didn't have the time. There's also a option to stay in the park overnight at one of the lodges. I'll do that next time. All in all, it was a great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Xanterra, Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback on your stay at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Feedback left on TripAdvisor is personally reviewed as we look for ways to improve the quality of our products and services. Your comments are critical to our success.

The Grand Depot Cafe issues you mentioned will need to be addressed by our Food & Beverage department. I will forward your comments to them for review. I know that they are working diligently to enhance the food offerings at this restaurant. If you decide to return at a later date, I am confident that you will find the quality to be noticeably improved.

I'm excited to inform you and other TripAdvisor members that we recently enabled free WiFi access throughout the hotel. Now every room has wireless Internet access as part of their accommodations at the Railway's hotel. If this was not mentioned upon check-in, please accept my sincere apologies. We are working on making this new feature widely known.

Aside from the couple of issues you mentioned, I want to thank you for the positive review of the Grand Canyon Railway. We appreciate your decision to include the train as part of your adventure to the Grand Canyon South Rim. We hope you will consider returning to the Grand Canyon Railway in the near future.

Jeff D'Arpa
Grand Canyon Railway
Southern California
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Took the 3 day package that starts at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Buffet dinner included with carving station, pasta bar (yummy), drinks and desert. (Wine and beer available-extra) Indoor pool and spa at night. Breakfast buffet inlcuded with omlette bar, fruits, pancakes, etc. Then took the Grand Canyon Railway Train to the South Rim of Grand Canyon after a brief performance by some silly cowboys. Relaxing train ride for 2 1/2 hours, (1st class cars have drinks and fruit and muffins included) Also there is a train section that sells ice cream and other goodies. Alcoholic beverages can be purchased also. Arrive at noon. Bus tour for 1 1/2 hours around the rim of the Grand Canyon included. Accomodations at Maswick hotel included. Lunch, dinner and breakfast in the Grand Canyon not included in the package deal. Lots of places to grab a bite! Free shuttle buses all over the south rim take you where ever you want to go. Next day return to Williams by the Train at 3:30 pm. Silly cowboys rob the train to entertain you. Spent that night at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel with dinner and breakfast included again. Hotel is 2 blocks from Route 66. We had a great, relaxing trip!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank 2fromcali
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed here as part of Grand Canyon Railway package. Room is average but adequate. Pricey for what is offered but package makes you a captive audience. Benefit is that it is close to train ride to Canyon, a short 3 minute walk. Front desk staff and bar staff very friendly and helpful. Food package option should be avoided. Cafeteria style menu that needs help. Better to go to town for restaurant just few minutes away. Train ride much fun, try to upgrade. Bus tours at Canyon are also well done.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank mld65
Xanterra, Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback on your experience at the Grand Canyon Railway. I am happy to read that your overall stay was sufficient and you received good service from the staff.

Unfortunately, the Grand Depot Cafe issues you mentioned will need to be addressed by our Food & Beverage department. I will forward your comments to them for review and resolution. Rest assured that we are working diligently to improve the quality of the products and services we offer here. Your feedback is critical to our success. Again, thank you for the feedback, and please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent visit.

We hope you will consider returning to the Grand Canyon Railway in the near future. If you decide to return please ask for me so I can ensure your next stay is much more enjoyable.

Jeff D'Arpa