“Nice hotel, bad food.”

Grand Canyon Railway Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Williams
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Was looking for a place to take the kiddo on spring break and decided it was about time to visit The Grand Canyon. I have AAA and though they offered a bundled package with rooms, train, and food, I decided to opt out of that package as I couldn't possibly dine at the same restaurant for breakfast and lunch 2-3 days in a row. I'm ever so glad I opted out of the food package. It was the worst thing about our stay and we only ate there once. $23 for one adult, one child breakfast buffet. The food was bland and cold. Like it had been cooked at 4am and then placed under heat lamps. There are far better places to dine in Williams. Our room itself was quite nice and comfortable. The walls, in my opinion, are too thin. Pool area and hot tub were clean and very relaxing. No free wi-fi though. The pre boarding show was fun. They also have a playground on site which my kid enjoyed. I didn't interact with staff much but when I did they were very helpful and pleasant. it was a nice train ride into the park with entertainment and robberies. Then there's the Grand Canyon itself. Wow. Absolutely breathtaking. You ONLY get three (3) hours in the park before having to board the train again. Take in as much of the park as you can. I suggest taking the free red shuttle to Hopi point. You get a great view of the Colorado River from there. We walked back to the village on the Rim Trail and had a spectacular view all the way back. Angel's Bright hiking trail looked inviting but didn't have the time. There's also a option to stay in the park overnight at one of the lodges. I'll do that next time. All in all, it was a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Xanterra, Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to submit feedback on your stay at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Feedback left on TripAdvisor is personally reviewed as we look for ways to improve the quality of our products and services. Your comments are critical to our success.

The Grand Depot Cafe issues you mentioned will need to be addressed by our Food & Beverage department. I will forward your comments to them for review. I know that they are working diligently to enhance the food offerings at this restaurant. If you decide to return at a later date, I am confident that you will find the quality to be noticeably improved.

I'm excited to inform you and other TripAdvisor members that we recently enabled free WiFi access throughout the hotel. Now every room has wireless Internet access as part of their accommodations at the Railway's hotel. If this was not mentioned upon check-in, please accept my sincere apologies. We are working on making this new feature widely known.

Aside from the couple of issues you mentioned, I want to thank you for the positive review of the Grand Canyon Railway. We appreciate your decision to include the train as part of your adventure to the Grand Canyon South Rim. We hope you will consider returning to the Grand Canyon Railway in the near future.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

Took the 3 day package that starts at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Buffet dinner included with carving station, pasta bar (yummy), drinks and desert. (Wine and beer available-extra) Indoor pool and spa at night. Breakfast buffet inlcuded with omlette bar, fruits, pancakes, etc. Then took the Grand Canyon Railway Train to the South Rim of Grand Canyon after a brief performance by some silly cowboys. Relaxing train ride for 2 1/2 hours, (1st class cars have drinks and fruit and muffins included) Also there is a train section that sells ice cream and other goodies. Alcoholic beverages can be purchased also. Arrive at noon. Bus tour for 1 1/2 hours around the rim of the Grand Canyon included. Accomodations at Maswick hotel included. Lunch, dinner and breakfast in the Grand Canyon not included in the package deal. Lots of places to grab a bite! Free shuttle buses all over the south rim take you where ever you want to go. Next day return to Williams by the Train at 3:30 pm. Silly cowboys rob the train to entertain you. Spent that night at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel with dinner and breakfast included again. Hotel is 2 blocks from Route 66. We had a great, relaxing trip!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank 2fromcali
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Stayed here as part of Grand Canyon Railway package. Room is average but adequate. Pricey for what is offered but package makes you a captive audience. Benefit is that it is close to train ride to Canyon, a short 3 minute walk. Front desk staff and bar staff very friendly and helpful. Food package option should be avoided. Cafeteria style menu that needs help. Better to go to town for restaurant just few minutes away. Train ride much fun, try to upgrade. Bus tours at Canyon are also well done.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank mld65
Xanterra, Manager at Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback on your experience at the Grand Canyon Railway. I am happy to read that your overall stay was sufficient and you received good service from the staff.

Unfortunately, the Grand Depot Cafe issues you mentioned will need to be addressed by our Food & Beverage department. I will forward your comments to them for review and resolution. Rest assured that we are working diligently to improve the quality of the products and services we offer here. Your feedback is critical to our success. Again, thank you for the feedback, and please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent visit.

We hope you will consider returning to the Grand Canyon Railway in the near future. If you decide to return please ask for me so I can ensure your next stay is much more enjoyable.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

disappointed in the room, furniture looked old and dirty, floor lamp didn't work, door did not shut without pulling/pushing on it, bulb burned out in bathroom.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your basic expectations with your accommodations.

I was discouraged to read about your disappointment with your room. Unfortunately, I can't explain the old-looking furniture in your room as it was recently replaced with brand new goods during our recent remodel. However, the floor lamp, door and light bulbs should have been inspected between guests. I do not know why this was not done, or why it was overlooked, but I will make sure that this issue is addressed immediately.

Again, thank you for visiting the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel. We hope your recent experience does not prevent you from visiting our hotel in the future so that you may experience our usual high standards of operation. If you decide to visit us again, please ask for me so I can personally ensure that your next stay is far more enjoyable.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I recently took a short trip from San Diego to the Grand Canyon.  We made our reservations through AAA and the experience was seamless.  Upon our check-in at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel in Williams, AZ, we were given vouchers for our complete weekend. Our meals in Williams (2 breakfasts and 2 dinners) were included in the package at the Depot Restaurant which served a great buffet.  Our luggage magically appeared in our room at the south rim having been transfered from Williams on the train.  We upgraded our seats on the train to the dome car coming and going.  Well worth it!  Our room was at the very historic El Tovar Hotel right on the rim of the canyon.  Next visit I would definitely opt for another choice as it is way overpriced for the condition and amenities.  You spend all your time outside anyway, so a clean room and comfortable bed is all you need.  Anyone can access the shops and restaurants in both the Bright Angel Lodge or the El Tovar - so my vote would be to stay at the Yavapai or Katchina - just as close to the rim, much newer and will have major upgrades as of May, 2012.  The free shuttles to many of the canyon viewpoints is great.  The new visitors center at Mather Point shouldn't be missed.
Our train trip back to Williams was just as enjoyable with a champagne toast in the dome car at sunset!  Back to Williams and another great dinner at the buffet - overnight - breakfast buffet the next morning and a nice drive back to San Diego.
I would highly recommend this 3-day little getaway to the grand canyon.  It's just spectacular.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple