“Must see ghost town for those that love history and ghosts” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 22 things to do in Wickenburg
Phoenix, Arizona
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Must see ghost town for those that love history and ghosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

We arrived at 8am, opening time. We were the only ones visiting at this time. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly, nice man. He gave us some history, answered some questions and sent us on our adventure.
When we arrived my camera died. Brand new batteries. I went through 6 batteries before I gave up for awhile. He said this happens often and some say that ghosts drain batteries to get the energy. Once we left the main building at the front my camera suddenly started working again. This went on and on, off and on around certain buildings. It was very weird. Several times I heard voices, though I could not quite understand what was being said. There were 5 of us total and we were all together, so I know I wasn't hearing them. No one else had these experiences, but no one else in our group really believes in this sort of thing either.
The buildings are great. Left as though people just walked away from them one day and left a lot of belongings. Chair frames, bed frames, bottles, etc. just left behind through the decades. Some buildings you cannot walk through as they are really falling down and would be dangerous, but there are plenty that you are allowed to walk through.
If you go during the hot months be sure to bring plenty of water and hit the place early in the morning. I would say a fall visit would be much better. Also, wear good shoes. Lots of walking and soft sand in areas.
The cost is $10 per person and they only accept cash, no CC or Debits.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank backsthepack
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

azis4me
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Authentic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

A true ghost town. I am sad it won't be around much longer. See it while you can. Amazing history in this little town.

1 Thank azis4me
Big Bear Lake, CA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Fascinating place to explore!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

We thought we'd spend 45 minutes or so here. Wrong...we were there much longer. There is so much to see...several buildings still have tools and parts on the workbenches there, as if the town's occupants just got up and left. Bring a hat, some sunblock, plenty of water, and take your time going through the townsite...if you love history like we do and don't mind getting a bit dusty, then you'll love it here. It's so well-preserved since it's private property and mostly unvandalized. Oh, and bring your camera, too!

At the end of the tour, ask to see where the school house buildings are; they're not shown on the map.

Visited May 2011
4 Thank John A
New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Thumbs Down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

I arrived with 3 small (excited) kids at 3PM - Their brochure indicates they close at 4 - but we were told that today they decided to close an hour early - so though luck.

Instead of letting us have a quick look which was my suggestion (how hard can it be - only one person works there?) we had to get back in the car.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank Erik567
Mesa, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Vulture Mine Ghosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

The Vulture Mine is the place to go to find real ghosts. We experienced someone saying "Hello" that came from the kitchen as we walked by, we went into it and no one was there. Yet when we walked out the door we heard that voice say "Bye". We saw a "black shadow" moving back and forth in the ball mill. This place was fantastic, we now found out they are conducting Ghost Tours on Sunday nights for a low fee. The original fee to do a day walk through out the property is cheap only $10 per person. They are trying to raise money to save the mine and make it into a living history location.
See www.savethevulturemine.org This was great to find out, and we also found out about a local Ghost Hunting team that is also doing alot of work with the vulture mine.. They website is great as well. www.ghostsofarizona.com, check them out, i heard they will be doing a monthly tour at the mine on sunday nights as well. They have some really earie sounds that they have caught at this location.. So do i give it a thumbs up, oh yes and a 9 out of 10 points for a great place to visit.

8 Thank RayRayRay50