“Disappointing 2 days in a row”
Review of Canyon Star

Canyon Star
Ranked #16 of 21 Restaurants in Tusayan
Price range: US$ 17 - US$ 32
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Both the restaurant and the adjacent saloon at the Grand Hotel in Grand Canyon, Arizona bring that old time southwestern sensibility to life with exposed timber, stone, ironwork and decor that's influenced by the area.The restaurant serves steaks, great barbeque dishes, Southwest-inspired foods and traditional western-themed fare.
Reviewed 17 April 2018

I was staying a the grand hotel with my family, wife and 3 children. The first night we tried to get a table around 9PM as soon as we checked in after a long day of driving and were told that the restaurant closed at 9. Second night we decided to come a little earlier and were told exactly the same story, I was asked if I had a reservation otherwise there were no more tables available. The Saloon, which is he restaurant right next to the steakhouse, was not receiving any more customers at that time. really???. on top of all this the attitude of the lady attending the reception area was very unfriendly. Clearly she was tired and wishing that no more customers showed up! We walked across the street to a Mexican restaurant called Plaza Bonita to an excellent dinner and drinks. Blessing in disguise. I am not expecting to come back to this hotel nor the restaurant any time soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

I typically look at reviews before going somewhere on vacation, but my husband and I had gone through some of the other options in Tusayan and this place looked pretty fancy so we walked in around 6 P.M. Our first impression was that the restaurant and saloon were well-decorated and there was even some light live music. We sat down in the saloon for a drink as the hostess at the restaurant (who seemed kind of confused and moved slowly) told us we had to wait for a table. The bar server took forever to approach us, and then we barely ever saw her again. We saw people behind us sit down, be ignored, and then leave.

When the time came and we were seated at an actual table (the hostess again appeared confused), we again waited about ten minutes before being approached. After some time, a girl came by and put some cold and stale-ish bread on the table. I asked her a question on the menu and she said she could not answer it and to wait for our server. While sitting, we looked at the reviews and saw how horrible they were. We also noticed that the menu prices that had originally looked good were just for a meat, no sides. Apparently a side of macaroni and cheese is $17.75. What! We were hungry and thought we might just split some ribs, but told the waitress that we had somewhere to be later so that we’d need to be out by a certain time. Her eyes got big and she said “ha, not at this restaurant.”

We realized we’d probably be waiting at least another hour to get food that probably wasn’t worth it. We left and went to Mickey D’s next door as another reviewer suggested. It’s too bad that a place like this has such poor service. Maybe they think they can get away with it due to few choices; not sure, but they really need to re-examine their hospitality basics!

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Other reviewers have accurately described our experience regarding reservations/wait time/empty tables, ala carte menu, and partially prepared Caesar salad. Positives were the musician and full refund on potato skins. Suggest management overhaul the menu, sides do not compliment main dishes. Envied the children in the booth next to us who got to order a burger and fries, onion rings—not an option for non-children.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We checked in at 645pm and went right in to make a dinner reservation since we were tired & hungry after a 5 hour drive. The hostess said the soonest we could get in would be 715. Only 30 minutes seemed like no big deal (although, the place was empty at the time). We went back at 715 and it still took a bit longer than it should have to be seated (still relatively empty). Our server offered different bottled water selections, then proceeded to forget our order. We asked a 2nd time and it came out. I ordered a beer, and after watching our server walk by over & over, I followed him to the bar. I asked if they were possibly out of the IPA I ordered and he said "no, do you want one?" Then he asked if I'd already ordered it from him and I said I had. Not a big deal, but it seemed to be a theme. 2 of us ordered steaks, and surprisingly weren't asked about or offered a side dish. Other than places that serve large, family style sides, sides are usually part of the price of the steak. We got plates with only steaks, and that worked ok. Just a bit odd. The steaks were very flavorful however. Not a bad place, but hard to rate highly based on the iffy service.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I am a local resident that lives and works in the national park. I went out with friends for drinks and a meal. It took the waitress forever to serve us....even after we asked for service multiple times. When we finally did get the waitress to take our order she disappeared. After 45 minutes I decided to go to the bar and see where our drinks were. They had been sitting at the bar for that whole length of time. I told the bartender to cancel our drinks for the waitress that put them in due to the beer being warm and the ice all melted from the cocktail drinks. When the food finally did come out it was cold....and soggy.
It was starting to get comical on how other customers started to gripe loudly due to the really poor service and of course the staff had every excuse under the sun why they couldn't properly serve the 50 people (max) that were in the dining area.
MORAL of this story....walk 2minutes down the street to McDonalds where you will get better food and customer service, because the Grand Hotel dining Canyon Star Steakhouse room SUCKS!

1  Thank zorak2021

Been to Canyon Star? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK