Finca Maresia(Drake Bay)
US$ 100
US$ 90
  • Breakfast included
Mohagine Hotel(Drake Bay)(Great Value!)
US$ 21
US$ 173
US$ 160
  • Restaurant
Martina's Place Hostel(Drake Bay)(Great Value!)
US$ 40
  • Restaurant
US$ 339
  • Pool
US$ 113
Pirate Cove(Drake Bay)
US$ 210
  • Breakfast included
Ranchitos Las Cotingas(Drake Bay)(Great Value!)
US$ 62
US$ 50
  • Free Internet
Cabinas Pura Vida(Drake Bay)(Great Value!)
US$ 57
US$ 45
Aguila de Osa(Drake Bay)
US$ 469
US$ 454
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 November 2014

If you like off the beaten path places with great service, this is the place for you. We stayed in Sonia's house last Christmas and had the time of our lives. It was hard to leave the hammock and the Capuchin entertainment at our cabin each day, but there is so much to explore from birds to tapirs to waterfalls to sea life. You'll have miles of unpopulated beaches to explore, reefs to snorkel, and birds to identify all just outside your door. Meals are an enjoyable typical Costa Rican fare. Sam is amazing - he is an incredible excursion organizer, including getting us set up with a knowledgeable (English-speaking) guide and an overnight into Corcovado National Park. The Amayas will give you the vacation you dream of - just ask for what you want and they'll make it happen!

Room Tip: Sonia's cabin is amazing! We were a couple travel with one set of our parents. We shared the space well, despite one bed being in the main living area. You really won't be inside the cabin much, anyway - too much to do and enjoy outside!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SaraSBR
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I hate write this because it will generate too much business for this Paradise. It has to be the all time favorite experience for my husband and I. Our trip is everything we dreamed of for over 15 years. The house was clean, the staff was beyond all expectations and we would go back in a heart beat. We had access to Zip line, scuba diving, Corcovado National Park tour, horse back riding (ask for Daniel and his horses) he took his time pointed out animals we would not have seen and was such a nice man with the best personality and put up with people that can't speak Spanish and he can't speak English. We wanted a real experience with the people that live in the rain forest and we got it. The beach is pristine. It was so FUN. Getting there was part of the adventure. The Amaya family cabins are exactly that run by a family that take pride in their homes and family and actually care about their guests. While not "fancy" they were honest, and take pride in what they do. We woke up every morning ready for a new adventure and we got one. We will always remember our 30 wedding Anniversary.

Room Tip: We had Katherine's house on the hill and it is a bit of a hike but worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary R
Reviewed 20 April 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 5 wonderful nights at Amaya Family Cabins in "Sonia's House". Bill helped us plan the trip and was very kind to respond to my many emails! We had a personal guide while there, Consuelo, and she was absolutely wonderful, we just loved her! Very knowledgeable about the local birds and other animals, so you should definitely take a few hikes with her. She arranged everything for us, which was quite a relief that we didn't have to manage the details; and my Spanish is pretty limited, so I was grateful that she spoke English as well.

We did the Sirena tour, the zipline tour at nearby Corcovado Canopy tours, a horseback ride along the beach one morning to swim in the Rio Claro, birds tours, walks along the beach....and we loved all of it! We saw more wildlife that I could have dreamed we'd see, especially on our tour to Sirena. The Osa lives up to its claim of being one of the most 'biologically intense' places on the planet. We saw tapirs, monkeys, anteaters, peccaries, a sloth and baby, dolphins, toucans, scarlett macaws, and so much more! On our last night there we helped rescue a baby kinkajou that fell out of a tree behind our house, and one of the family members adopted him - you should look for the little guy while you are there!

We went in April, and a word of caution for those sensitive to warm climates is that it was HOT! Earlier in the year would certainly be a little cooler, but if you go too near the end of the high season, be prepared to spend the middle of the day taking siestas just to escape the heat and humidity. (Fortunately there are hammocks everywhere, including two on the pavilion outside the house). The house doesn't have A/C (which I doubt you could find anywhere down there, but just fyi) or hot water (you won't need hot water though!), but it was very, very beautiful. It was built by Carlos and the wooden doors were all covered in ornate animal carvings. The food was good, it was fairly simple traditional Costa Rican fare; we aren't too picky, but you should be prepared for a lot of white rice! My boyfriend really liked it though, he cleaned his plate every time. The fish was really delicious. I would suggest doing your own laundry if you are there long enough to need it - it is very expensive to have it done by staff, which we didn't realize at the time.

Overall, we had an absolutely beautiful time and an amazing adventure! The family is so warm and kind, and will make you feel right at home. The Osa is a magical place and an ecologist's dream come true. We hope to visit again sometime!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amanda K
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I had the most utterly relaxing stay at the Amaya Family Cabins (aka Poor Man's Paradise) in March with my sister

The stay starts with a 1.5 hour boat ride from Sierpe. Bill, who helped us make our reservation, had alerted the boat company in advance that we would be coming, and indeed they were expecting us. The boat was quickly loaded up with produce and people and then we were on our way, making a few stops in Drake Bay and on the peninsula to drop off people and supplies. A small group of us were finally dropped off at the Amaya's property, and were promptly helped off the boat and given a hand with our bags.

Carlos greeted us immediately, gave us a tour, and showed us to our cabin, the one closest to the beach, which was absolutely perfect. A hammock and chairs on our little front porch, and a clean and airy bedroom and attached bathroom. (Absolutely no bugs to be found inside the cabin, in case you were wondering). We slept like babies to the crash of the ocean and the cool breeze off the water.

Our days were filled by hours lazing in the hammocks watching the Scarlet Macaws overhead, a canoe ride up the small river to a string of beautiful water falls and swimming holes, an amazing hike and tons of wildlife spotting in Corcovado National Park.

The family who owns and operates this place were absolutely lovely hosts and very accommodating to our needs.

The only drawback I can think of was the food. It is a very typical Costa Rican cuisine, which means a lot more white bread and Kraft singles than I normally care to eat. I also found myself absolutely voracious between meals from all of the walking/swimming/etc, and there was nothing in the way of a snack available between meals. An afternoon snack/coffee hour would be a welcome addition. Thankfully I brought a TON of trail mix and granola bars, which saved me.

Overall, it was absolutely incredible and I dream of coming back with my boyfriend!

Room Tip: Carlos' cabin closest to the beach was fantastic!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank LMBinBK
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Overall our experience was magical. We were in paradise for eight nights. However, this may not be for the fair-hearted who cannot be without air conditioning, hot water or electricity before 5pm and after 10 pm. If your palate is not one to adapt, you may want to consider the primary sustenance coming from the kitchen is rice, rice and rice, at each of the daily three meals. If you don't eat fish, you will have issue, if you don't eat meat you will have issues. Much is related to the language gap. Very helpful to have someone in the group that can speak Spanish. Customer service was top rate. The boat ride back to Sierpe was a little concerning with over 30 people put on a boat that should probably only have 15. Seemed alot of fiends and relatives were tacking onto the rides those who had paid to stay at the resort.

Room Tip: We stayed at Sonja's cabin with four people. There was one bedroom, a great room/kitchen with futons placed in them and a loft. The mastress from the loft was removed during our stay to accomodate other Amaya family members coming in the holiday. There was one bathroom to share that was difficult to schedule amongst the four of us as we all were getting to go to the same places.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family