“Dominical - Buena Notas”
Review of Dominical

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Whittier, California
1 helpful vote
“Dominical - Buena Notas”
Reviewed 3 December 2010

Let me put it this way - I am already looking for property in Dominical because I totally fell in love. My boyfriend and I just returned from Costa Rica where we stayed in Jaco (meh) and then for a week in Dominical at the Green Iguana Surf Camp. Dominical is a small surf town but the vibes there are wonderful. I literally woke up and went to bed smiling everyday. The staff at the Green Iguana Surf Camp really made our trip wonderful by taking us to the nearby beaches which are equally wonderful and showing us the ins and outs of Dominical. The people there are wonderful, the food is excellent, and the surf is perfect. I highly recommend Dominical to anyone who is looking for a smaller beach town in Costa Rica and if you are in need of surf lessons or boards, hit the Green Iguana Surf Camp up.

Places to check out/eat:

-The fruit stand on the side of the highway by the Rio Baru right before you get into the main town of Dominical. You can feed the white faced monkeys and pazotes...very cool.

-The soda/fruit stand on the main road. Great prices and excellent food and they serve up bomb fresh fruit and coconut water!

-Tortilla Flats has free wifi and bangin' food. Try the nachos!

-Iguanos Bar is off the main highway before you get to Dominical but the owner is a gem and he serves up nice refreshing drinks with a smile. He let us have Thanksgiving dinner there this year and it totally made our trip.

-River tubing down the Rio Baru was relaxing and beautiful. I highly recommend it for everyone. The Green Iguana Surf Camp can take care of you.

-The Refuge has the best burgers EVER! They are huge and delicious and you shouldn't miss them.

1 Thank buenanotas
San Jose, Costa Rica
12 helpful votes
“Dominical Dreamin'”
Reviewed 16 September 2010

I had a chance to head down to Costa Rica's Southern Pacific coast this last weekend (September 11th & 12th, 2010). This was a travel agency familiarization trip and the idea was to see some of the hotels and attractions in this beautiful area. It was also the season for whale watching and we went with hopes of seeing some of the migrating humpback whales which come to the area during these months of September and October.

We left early from San Jose and took the newly built highway to the Pacific Coast. This trip used to take several hours and now is quite fast on a modern, recent built Highway. We got to Quepos, Manuel Antonio and stopped to take a catamaran cruise through the national park before heading to our final destination, Dominical and the beaches of Ballena and Uvita - Costa Rica's fantastic Southern Zone.

It had been a while since I had traveled to this wonderful area and the road heading south out of Manuel Antonio has changed so much. Now this road competes to be one of the best in Costa Rica, none of the pot holes and shady bridges that I remember. A trip south from Manuel Antonio to Dominical can take around a half an hour these days, when it used to be an epic voyage.

We spent some time touring some of the hotels and lodges found in Dominical and the surrounding areas. We visited Villas Rio Mar on the banks of the Baru River, Diuwak in the center of the town of Dominical, Plaza Suites off the highway, Cuna del Angel just south of Dominical in Dominicalito and finally Crystal Ballena and the Cusinga Lodge at Ballena Beach. This area has such an eclectic group of hotels and lodges, ranging from budget surf hotels, to eco-lodges and luxurious resorts. Picking the right place to stay can be quite a task with so many different options to choose from.

The area surrounding Dominical offers so much to the visitor. Go surfing right here on some of Costa Rica's best waves. Go whale watching or plan a nature hike in the nearby Corcovado National Park. Visit Ballena beach or the waterfalls at Nayara. Whatever you choose to do, you'll be glad that you made it off the beaten tourist track and down to these beautiful beaches surrounded by lush tropical forests. Enjoy!

Pennsylvania
16 helpful votes
“Dominical, CR, One-of-a-kind Vacation”
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Dominical is a small town on the southern pacific coast of Costa Rica. The town is best known for its surfing conditions, but it is close to many wonderful adventures. We surfed, rode horese, sea kayaked, hiked, repelled, zip lined, toured the rainforest and more....I would highly recommend this town to families or singles. There are many reputable tour operators there, Dominical Surf Adventures, Iguana Tours, Tree of Life Tours, Fourtrax in Quepos, Don Lulos Horseback, Dolphin Tours and Hacienda Buru Rainforest Tour. The people are wonderful and this is a safe beautiful country. Our tour was put together by Costa Rica Guide/Toucan Maps. They were wonderful to work with and all the companies they hired for us were professional and on time.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 helpful vote
“Domincal, Costa Rica”
Reviewed 2 July 2010

This was my second trip to Costa Rica and I will probably go there again but not to the Dominical. It is just too barren for me. We did go on an amazing rafting trip but had over an hour ride to get there. There is a new road from the Dominical to San Jose...about three hours. The rental homes are quite a haul from the beach other than tiny shack type places. The beach is for serious surfers because the water is too rough for imply swimming. This is NOT a great place for small children. Surfers who do not need a lot of "glam" would enjoy it. The ziplines are fantastic too.

1 Thank FloridaHonestT
welkom
“Fun Place to be.”
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Have just spent 2 weeks in Costa Rica, doing all the fun things.My husband and I (both over 60) decided that we were going to try the Kayaking as this may be the last chance we may get. So one bright and sunny day (as they all are) our group set off , the rest of our group all young. Our trip was to the "caves" which was great fun and afterwards they give you a great fruit snack. Looking at the photos, I notice that I am the only one on the Kayak rowing, I was sitting in front. My husbands reply to this is "he cant row with me, as I have no rythem!!!!!" We also did the "zip" canopy trip which was also fun and even got to see Toucans. People in our group did horse back riding, gyrocopter trip and canyoning, so there is really alot todo.
A word of warning, we had our Credit cards,GPS and ID documents stollen from our car while we were sitting on the beach, they did leave our passports though. So if you go that way have fun but take care.
We stayed at Conta Del Mar Villas, and we come from South Africa.

Been to Dominical? Share your experiences!