“Great veg food”

Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 16
Cuisines: Asian, Latin
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Maracatu has been providing Dominical with a one of a kind experience since 2005. We pride ourselves on having found the perfect balance of good vibes, healthy food, great nightlife, a warm ambience, varied world music and environmental responsibility. Every aspect of Maracatu has been created and evolved with a lot of care and intention. As Hippocrates once said "Let Food be Thy Medicine," we are committed to provide as much local, organic, whole food ingredients as possible, often times coming from our organic sister farm, Selva Armonia. Maracatu has also raised the bar on nightlife in the southern zone of Costa Rica. With a unique artistic ambience and a passion for good live music we have helped put Dominical on the map. Come check out Ladies Night on Wednesdays, the most popular night in the zone. Follow us on Facebook to find out about up and coming events at Maracatu!
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Supporting the cause, keep'n it real.
Went there with the kids. They loved the phat thai.
Ttasty. Went there for lunch. All the dishes were good

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I'll start out by describing our "Rasta-Man" waiter. He had about as much personality as a walking zombie. He barely acknowledged our presence, didn't crack a smile and we seemed to be a terrible inconvenience to him.

My husband and I used to come to this restaurant a few years ago and got very good vegetarian food and service. It has REALLY gone down hill since then. We ordered chips and salsa as an appetizer (for $3) and the chips were completely stale - the salsa was in a tiny bowl not much bigger than a quarter.

The $7 taco salad was just ok (more stale chips) and my husband's $8 pad-thai noodles had a plastic-like taste to them.

But the topper to the whole experience was when our $300 cell phone got ripped off right from our table. My husband and I had just driven for over 12 hours from Granada Nicaragua (including an almost 2 hour stop at the border to get our car across). We wanted a light vegetarian meal before we drove home to Ojochal. We were completely tired and hungry by the time we got to Maracatu. I had my cell phone and a nice LED plug-in flashlight next to me on the table. I closed my eyes or about five seconds while my husband went to the restroom. When I opened them, our cell phone and flashlight were gone! For all I know, Rasta-Man could have snatched them since he was the only person I remember coming near our table the whole time we were there (besides the manager who came to check on us).

So be careful if you eat at this restaurant and keep your guard up at all times!! We recommend Tortilla Flats or Domilocos if you want better food for your money.

1  Thank SabaloLodge
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Excellent quality at a reasonable price! Dont miss out if you're in the southern zone. There is something on the menu for every taste. They also offer world class music at night and an energetic community.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

do not miss wed. night. always full of local, tourist and travelers from afar.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Food was very good as was the service, prices weren't bad either.