“Average ramen not worthy of all the high praise”
Review of Tampopo

Tampopo
Ranked #205 of 878 Restaurants in Tempe
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We love ramen and this place consistently has been at the top of the list to try based on reviews and word of mouth.

As most reviews state, the service and people who work there are great. The ramen itself was good but I didn’t find really anything special about it. Given it was a 35 minute drive for us I’m not sure it was worth it. There are closer ramen places just as good.

The place is small in an unassuming strip mall. If you’re a two top you might get your own table otherwise you’ll likely be on a long communal table that runs down the center.

I would say it’s cheap either. Two bowls of ramen, gyoza and two waters was about $46 with tip.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (29)

Reviewed 27 February 2021 via mobile

I was craving ramen and wanting to get my ramen fix while in the Phoenix area. I wanted to try a new place and this place popped up!
The restaurant was busy doing a lot of take outs and dine ins.
The service was great - nice and friendly staff and prompt service. Food came out super fast.
I ordered the Miso ramen! The miso ramen was okay, nothing super spectacular compared to other miso ramens I have had. The miso was pretty overpowering. The ultra spicy ramen that my friend ordered was not as spicy as we originally anticipated.
Maybe it was just a miss for us but I liked Hachi more. However the service and staff were great!

Date of visit: February 2021
2  Thank matt2lee
Reviewed 25 June 2019

I went here for lunch as I work not too far away. I had what I always get when I go out for ramen: Tonkatsu ramen with spicy paste. It was not very good. The broth wasn't milky, it was brown and I wouldn't be surprised if it came from a powder. It did not look like it had been cooked from pork bones simmered for hours like I expect from tonkatsu ramen. It had some kind of black oil that tasted like black pepper, which overpowered everything else in the dish. But mostly it was just salty brown water. The noodles were average, the pork was a bit overcooked and not tender. You do get a whole egg but it was hard boiled, not soft boiled. Overall, on a scale from 0-5, where a 0 is Top Ramen and a 5 is one of the best ramen places in Japan, this place is a 2. There is better ramen at Sushi Sen in Scottsdale, where they do it properly.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed 22 February 2019 via mobile

If you want some great Ramen don’t miss this place. It’s a tiny restaurant but service was great. You can tell it’s a favorite of the locals. Great meal for a great price!

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 29 January 2019

My son eats at Tampopo regularly and took me, his mom, here. The tonkatsu ramen was deeply satisfying. We had the spicy version and the spices were "just right". generously portioned----nothing needed adding to it. Just delicious. I want to return here often and I will since it is in my son's neighborhood! Close and delicious can't be beat! Oh, and the ramen made right there......

Date of visit: January 2019