“Beautiful place in Arizona”
Review of Sedona

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Chicago, IL
129 helpful votes
“Beautiful place in Arizona”
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Sedona is a beautiful place to spend some time and is great whether your want to relax, shop, or experience the great outdoors.

Things to note: Sedona is NOT for those wanting the nightlife. Most restaurants/bars close at 9pm. Only some are open until 10.

Food: There are several restaurants right in downtown or further down on 89A...calling ahead is ideal for most places. Again, get there before 9pm!

Shopping: Downtown is mainly touristy shops for all your t-shirt and knick-knacks galore. If you want some actual nice shopping along with some great galleries go to Tlaquepaque...this is a very nice little "village" within Sedona just minutes from the main drag. (photos)

To do's: There are lots of hiking trails, Doe Mountain hiking was a moderate trail with great views (photos). The airport view point for the sunset was OK. It gets very crowded and we didn't think it was that spectacular(better during the day). Definitely take 89A North just for the pull-off points and the views. There are also spots along that road to view Oak Creek. (photos)

Visit Sedona just for the scenery or find a nice B&B to rest and relax poolside amongst the red rocks!

Tennessee
8 helpful votes
“Trip Report - 4/25 - 4/28”
Reviewed 2 May 2009

This was a short trip for us, but we did our best to make the best of our time in Sedona, and a day at the Grand Canyon.

Day 1. We landed in Phoenix at 12:38 pm, and it took a while to get our luggage and to board the shuttle over to where the car rentals are located, but we got there around 1:15 pm. We had a car through Hertz, and were ready to use the self check in. But, it was broken and there was a very long line that we had to get in. We didn’t leave Phoenix until 3 pm. We stopped at the visitors center in the VOC and made pictures of Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte, and then headed straight to the Cowboy Club Silver Saddle Room and had the most wonderful dinner. The waitress, Melissa, was great and it was a wonderful way to begin our trip, however, we expected to get to Sedona much earlier. We looked around downtown for a little while and headed out to the Sky Ranch Lodge. We loved the SRL and our room (I’ve already written a review regarding the SRL under specialty lodging for Sedona AZ). Since this was our 30th wedding anniversary, my husband had a gift basket surprise waiting on us in the room. We sat out on the balcony and enjoyed the view and relaxed. We had been awake since 2 am CST.

Day 2. We slept later than expected, however, we needed it. We drove up Oak Creek Canyon, stopped at Garland’s store and got a picnic lunch, and headed to the south rim of the GC. We had hoped to hike to the Ooh-Aah point, but we were way too tired. We hiked a good bit of the rim trail, and went to most of the overlooks. I was able to catch a picture of a rock squirrel, which I had never seen. Then we headed to the Desert View. We stopped at all of the lookouts on the way there, and my favorite one was Lipan Point, and that is where I saw my first raven, and got a picture of him, too. As we continue on to Cameron and on down to Flagstaff, we were able to see some great views of Mt. Humphreys, which still had snow on the top of it. We did stop and look at some of the native crafts that were set up on the side of the road.

Day 3. We met RedRox and MissRedPony and kate410 and her husband at the Wildflower Bread Company around 8 am. That was so very special to get to meet these two couples. RedRox and kate410 helped me plan our trip, along with many others. This was a highlight of our trip. We left there and went to Red Rock State Park and then on to Crescent Moon Picnic Area and Red Rock Crossing. We then headed up to Garland’s Indian Jewelry and looked around before we were headed out to hike the West Fork Oak Creek Trail, however, I became ill, and we had to go back to the SRL. Later that afternoon, we sat out on our balcony and relaxed and enjoyed the beauty of Sedona. I was disappointed that we didn’t make the hike, but we still made the most of our time. We went to Picazzo’s Pizza for supper that night, and had the very best pizza that we’ve ever eaten.

Day 4. Left and flew back home. We certainly didn’t want to leave.

We originally were to stay for 6 nights, however, because of my husband’s job, we had to change our plans. The few days that we had are golden to us and we cannot wait to go back. Sedona is the prettiest city I’ve ever seen in the US.

I made as many quality pictures as I could, and if you would like to view my photo album, copy and paste the following link to your browser: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=dfarm2c&target=PHOTO&id=5330443813244294770&aid=5330442172923116833&authkey=Gv1sRgCMzi4rXf1aLhdA&feat=emai

Centralia, Illinois
1 helpful vote
“Absolutely Gorgeous”
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I have never seen so many breathtaking views than I had this past week. Sedona was absolutely beautiful. My husband and I will return over and over again.

Horsham, West Sussex
13 helpful votes
“This was not what I expected”
Reviewed 4 April 2009

I visited Arizona last November. I love the whole State, but my favorite was Sedona. The town so clean. the bars and restaurants great. I loved the hotel we stayed in. The views were some of the best I have ever seen.
Can't wait to get back again soon.

Tennessee
150 helpful votes
“Three Quick Tips on Visiting Sedona”
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Three quick tips on visiting Sedona. First, if you want to stop to take photos of the red rocks, you are required to buy a Red Rock Pass if you park your car anywhere in the area ($5/day). There weren’t any places to pull over along Highway 179 in Red Rock country, you have to use the overlook parking lots where passes are required. Stop off at the ranger station for your pass—there are machines that sell the passes but they wouldn’t accept any of my money.
Second, there’s a good deal of construction on Highway 179 as you come in to Sedona from Phoenix, so be prepared for slow traffic (the view is spectacular, so think of the traffic as enjoying it at a leisurely pace). I also often found drivers cruising along at 10 mph below the speed limit throughout Arizona, but notably here as people were taking photos of the scenerary as they cruised along.
Finally, if you go in the winter/early Spring (I went in mid-March) you may want to bring a light sweater or jacket as temperatures cool off a great deal at night.

3 Thank ChrissyHny

Been to Sedona? Share your experiences!