“big was better”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Greenwich, Connecticut
“big was better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

we didn't think we'd enjoy this large a resort but booked a casita on the beautiful grounds of the Phoenician hotel. the service was amoung the best we'd ever encountered. the restaurants were delicious and well priced and our breakfasts from AMEX platinum were included. the rooms were spacious, views of the pools (5) were relaxing and the art work on the property amazing. vice president Beiden was there over the same weekend and secutiry was very tight but manageable. we look forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: views of the pool or gardens best choice, casitas large and quiet
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Visited The Phoenician last week for a combo business/pleasure trip. Overall thoughts are positive, but not without some reservations.

Checked in late afternoon after a brief wait. Our room was way, way on the far end of the resort property, about as far away as it could be. Someone’s got to have the room that’s farthest away, and my wife and I are both able-bodied, so it wasn’t a huge deal. The employee that checked us in did mention how long the walk was, but said it was an oversized room and hoped we would find it comfortable. As it turns out, the room’s size was very generous, very spacious. And we had a nice deck with two chaise lounges, two regular chairs and a little table – all facing the setting sun.

The hallway to our room was dark (not W Hotel-like “chic dark”, but just dark and depressing) and in need of refurbishment. The carpeted areas leading up to the internal doors that separated the inside hallway to the outside hallway were a bit soiled and frayed, probably from years of roller bags and luggage carts banging across the threshold. The room itself was okay. The furniture was decent, the flat screen TV was decent, the bed and bedding was excellent (one of the best hotel beds I’ve slept on in a while), the bathroom was okay. The only significant issue with the room was the shower. If my wife and I took back to back showers, the water would begin to back up. This was particularly noticeable to me, because I was almost always the second person to shower, and my wife takes long showers. By the end of my relatively short shower, I would have water at about ankle height. I thought about reporting it to the front desk, but didn’t because I knew that the shower had to run for 15 minutes or more before it happened, so the maintenance guy would probably show up, turn on the water, see it drain okay and then think we were crazy. I probably should’ve reported it anyway, but didn’t. The other comment on the room was about the little wet bar area, where the coffee maker was, etc. The caulk between the counter and backsplash around the three sides of the wet bar area was very old – a bit discolored with some gaping holes where the caulk had cracked. I commented to my wife “you know, it wouldn’t cost anything to have someone take the old caulk out and put fresh caulk in and this would look so much better….”.

Service throughout the resort was spotty. Spotty might not be the right word, because it was more typically good/great than disappointing, but, as is typically the case, the disappointments stand out more than the good interactions. On the good/great side, we were looking for the sundry shop one evening after dinner, probably around 9 p.m. We inquired at the front desk, and the young man said “The Pinata Shop is already closed, but I can find someone to open it up for you”. We said “that’s not necessary”, but he insisted. And he then personally escorted us from the front desk to the sundry shop, opened it up, let us shop for our soda and snack and then charged it to our room. That was excellent service. The concierges were excellent in our few brief encounters. The bellmen were excellent. The business center staff was very helpful. On to the disappointing….the service at the pool, while polite, was inconsistent. Example: we sit down next to a colleague/friend and a waitress swings by and asks if we would like menus. My wife and I say yes, our friend says yes, so two menus are handed out. 45 minutes later (and I’m not exaggerating) we hadn’t seen hide nor hair of the waitress. One would think that if you ask if someone wants a menu and they readily say yes, it’s because they’re hungry and want to order some food. I finally had to flag a towel boy and ask him to find the waitress so we could order lunch. She comes over, takes our order and then begins to walk away, and we say “miss, I think our friend here wants to place an order, too!”. The next day we waited forever to get the check at the pool, and when we finally flagged down our server (a man, this time), he kept flipping through the checks and couldn’t find our check. He was a good guy, but he finally, said “I’m sorry, I can’t find it, I’m going to have to go print it out again”. Which could happen, I know, but since we had already waited so long, we said “just add the automatic gratuity, we’re going to head to our room”.

The biggest service lapse related to housekeeping. I was in my room on Saturday morning watching my alma mater play a bball game on ESPN. The doorbell rings about 10:30 a.m. (the game started at 10 a.m. local time) and it’s housekeeping. The first words out of her mouth were “Do you want your room serviced today?” I was really, really surprised that she would ask that question at a place like The Phoenician. It’s not as if it was 5 p.m. and we had had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door all day. I said “yes, we would but would you mind coming back in about an hour and a half”. The lady says ok. An hour and a half later (I’m being generous, it might have been a little less than 90 minutes, but let’s say 90 minutes), the game is still on and the doorbell rings again. It’s the same lady, and I say “I’m sorry! Would you mind coming back in 30 minutes?” She hesitated, paused, and had this look of irritation on her face that really threw me for a loop. She hemmed and hawed a bit, before finally saying “yes, okay”. Maybe I was really screwing their schedule up, but it was only noon, on a Saturday (when I’ve got to think that people are, generally, leaving their rooms later than they are during the week). Her irritated look irritated me, so I said, trying to make a point, “are you sure that’s okay?”, to which she replied “yes, that’s fine”. I don’t know, maybe I’m at fault and readers of this review will tell me that I am.

One final comment regarding housekeeping. At some point on Saturday, between the time we left for the pool and returned from the pool, someone dropped off a tray of candies, with a postcard from the resort manager thanking us for our stay (we were leaving the next day). We left the tray, uneaten, on the wet bar counter and headed off to dinner. When we returned, the housekeeping staff had been in the room for the turndown service, and we noticed that one of the candies had been eaten! It was completely not a big deal, because we weren’t going to eat them all anyway, but it was still a bit weird. Knowing I was probably going to post a review on Trip Advisor, I asked my wife twice “are you sure you didn’t eat one of these??” She let me know, in no uncertain terms, that she hadn’t.

Let me close with a couple of positives. The food was great. We had lunch at Il Terrazzo on day of arrival – great (and great service, too). We had a group dinner at Il Terrazzo on evening two and the food was outstanding. The lunches we had poolside were very good.

We will definitely return (partly due to business commitments, but for pleasure, too), but the service lapses are, at best, interesting.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank dtgdallas
PhoenicianManager, Public Relations Manager at The Phoenician, Scottsdale, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We greatly appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests, as it is a key measurement tool in relation to our service operations. Plans are under way for the replacement of all hallway carpeting in our guestroom areas. The rooms themselves are also slated for refurbishment in the near future, adding to the more than $90 million in capitalization projects that have taken place at the resort since 2008. As a AAA Five Diamond property, The Phoenician prides itself on delivering the exceptional. We are disappointed to learn of your experience at the pool, which is not indicative of our service culture. Your comments have been shared with our management team and will be reviewed with staff to ensure swift and professional attention to all of our guests. If there is anything we can do to make one’s stay more enjoyable and memorable, we ask that one does not hesitate to call on any associate, whether it be for a shower drain or a requested housekeeping visit. We are happy to hear that your overall stay was pleasurable and marked by great service, dining and a signature location for watching the evening sunsets. We look forward to welcoming you back and fully demonstrating our commitment to a true Five Diamond experience.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

In January I was there for a meeting. The rooms were spacious. The only negative aspect about the room was that the bathtub was a little outdated. The carpet in the hallways needed to be replaced.

Overall the grounds were nice. The pool looked inviting, and I was disappointed I wasn't able to enjoy this more.

Relish, one of the restaurants on the property, overlooked the golf course and was amazing.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TheFrasiers
Caracas, Venezuela
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed the in Jan2012 for a three nights as we had a company event.

The biggest plus for the phoenician is it's amazing area which includes:

- Restaurants
- Bars
- Pools
- awesome golf course
- and something like an private Mountain where you have an amzing view

You basically have the impression that you are stranded in a luxury oasis. So alone the whole setup is worth a visit, if not for the night then for you hanging out at the pool or the terrace witha an amazing view over the valley or just a round golf.

The Service is on a very good standard, there is nothing to complain but also nothing to highlight.

The Food is als very good standard with the same lack of low- or highlights.

Housekeeping was very good, the rooms are perfectly clean.

The rooms are the weak spot. As the Hotel has already a couple of year in his records, the rooms could you a renovation or at least a minor modernisation. i.e The instruments to control the air condition seemed to me to be like 30 yers old. The biggest issue was the mini bar which was really noisy.

I am always wondering why hotels wait that long to make a modernization. Is it because they earn enough money due to a lack of competition or is it that they don't earn enough to invest and try to milk the cow to it's leats extent. Regardless of what it really might be, if they would spend this minor effort they would have gotten an excellent rating.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed her for two nights for a conference. The banquet food was really good, and for each meal, I was asked if I had any dietary issues. Our room was spacious and well-appointed. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the sheets were nice. Our room was very quiet as well. The bar had signature Mimosas with fresh fruit, which were wonderful. The fitness room had nice equipment. It is a large property, so it can be a walk to get from place to place.

• Stayed February 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,594 reviews
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Phoenician, Scottsdale? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK