SmokeTree Resort & Bungalows
  • Restaurant
US$ 439
US$ 386
  • Pool
All reviewssmoke treegreen grasslarge patiotable chairspretty groundsliving roomwithin walking distancec unitfire pithome away from homecleaning staffwalk in closetshort drivethe staff was friendly and helpfulamenitiesphoenixsink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This was my first trip to Phoenix and frankly wasn't all that excited. We choose this place because it was significantly cheaper than the big resorts down the street and the suites are good for families. When I pulled up to this place I was so worried; the front does look abandoned and gross. When we pulled around back to the room I breathed a sign of relief. We were in a two bedroom suite (3 queen beds) with one bathroom, a kitchen and large living room. It was a great size for three of us.

Out the back door we had a large patio area with chairs and plenty of shade (a commodity in Phoenix). We were right next to the pool which is tiny but since there wasn't really anyone around worked just fine. The pool area has both natural shade and sun with green grass everywhere (see the pics). I also really liked that they had a bocce ball court.

This place is so quiet so if you are looking for a busy pool scene or restaurants, it isn't for you. If you want a quiet retreat its very nice. As someone else said, the AJs market next door is awesome and a great place to get supplies if you plan on eating in the suite rather than going out.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank gopher2003
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed at the Smoke Tree many times in their suite called "Rancho Raymundo" and must say you'll likely never find anything like it. It's not so much the fantastic Scottsdale location, quiet seclusion or the mature, desert oasis, but more so the people who have run it for nearly half a century. When I stayed there, it was operated by Curtis and Melinda, but now it's run by their children, Colin and Eric and family. What an amazing capacity to serve with genuine smiles and big hearts. I cannot say thanks enough for making my stay, well . . . personally historic! Smoke Tree, you have my undying gratitude. Try to match that Hyatt, Marriott and the rest. Try to match THAT. . .

Room Tip: Ask for "Rancho Raymundo" if it is still available!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Tom G
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The Smoke Tree Resort is a great find. The front is deceiving but don't let that stop you. Behind it is a little oasis. Rooms are clean and equipped. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Don't hesitate to ask-they'll get you what you need. AJ's grocery store is great-it is located right by the resort. I would highly recommend this place. Sue & Tennis from California

Room Tip: Tell them what you need and they'll accomodate you
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sue I
Reviewed 21 November 2011

My husband and I traveled to Phoenix for the 2011 Ironman Arizona. Most hotels near the race site were booked or very expensive. After looking on Trip Advisor I found this little gem. From the front it may be off putting due to a restaurant space being renovated. However, turn the corner and it's a little desert oasis. Beautiful landscaping, well manicured lawns and a small heated pool all make for a wonderful view from your room. I felt like we got the deal of a century for $80/night. Our bungalow had a large living room, separate large bedroom with king bed, huge walk in closet, and standard bathroom. Our living room opened up to a small patio with a table and chairs. Lovely view of the pool. The living room had a new flat screen tv. There was a small wet bar with a microwave, dishes, sink and fridge. The owner was so kind to us, allowing my husband a late checkout the day after his race. This is the only place we'll stay when visiting the Phoenix area. It's private, quiet and secluded. Far better than your everyday run of the mill chain hotel. The only downside I found was spotty wireless internet service. Other than that, five stars.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sandt917
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I am currently staying at the Smoke Tree Resort and truly believe this is a hidden gem. My unit has new carpeting, queen bed that is really comfy, kitchenette with microwave, frig, coffee maker and wet bar. Very nicely decorated with flat screen tv, leather chairs, etc. There is a fabulous grocery store (A.J.'s about a block away in a nice shopping center). This is not the Ritz, Hyatt or Sheraton, thankfully. It is a place where you can truly rest. There is a swimming pool and the grounds are lovely: tall mature trees, cactus, flowers, etc. A place like Smoke Tree is very hard to find these days. Remember the places your parents took you every year for vacation that became a sort of second home? That is Smoke Tree. I hope that it remains just the way it is and is not pressured into changing in any way. The owner is a lovely woman who I happened to run into while walking on the property. She has owned the resort for more than 40 years!! The price is extremely reasonable and the location is great.

I read the review by the person who said he ran away because the restaurant is closed and the office sign wasn't very big. All I can say is that he truly missed out on a nice stay. I was told that the resort doesn't run the restaurant --they lease it and they are between lessees right now. It's not really needed when you can prepare food in the units and the shopping center is so close.

I also read an article in the Arizona Republic, Scottsdale section, by Michael Collins on 10/28 saying that places like Smoke Tree are not meeting their potential and consequently the City misses out on more revenue. You need to mind your own business, Mr. Collins. I personally look for places like the Smoke Tree Resort and they are few and far between.

If you are ever in the area and want a simple, clean, homey place to stay, I highly recommend the Smoke Tree Resort.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are at the back of the lot and are quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo