“Fabulous Design, Impeccable Room & Great Soap”
Review of Hotel Valley Ho

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This hotel is a great example of old hotel made new.

GOOD: The room was a page straight from Dwell or something Jeff Lewis would have designed. Everything was beautiful and immaculate. The soaps/bath products (and yes, you know this matters... ) were fabulous, something I would buy.. and they didn't skimp on giving it to you.

NOT-SO-GOOD: The yokels yakking it up around the hot tub (until 11pm/week night) created an impossible environment for sleeping. I did complain, and was given a room away from the hot tub.. the noise was better.. but the moving of rooms was a pain in the buns.. as I had to pack up and move without the physical assitance of hotel staff. I would hope that these yokels were not the typical type of guests (uncouth, no manners or respect). Perhaps Scottsdale attracts these types..
As another reader mentions, the signage is not so easy to find your way around... especially if you're tired, been travelling all day, and just want to rest and enjoy the fabulous room... so you could be wandering for a while (ASK FOR HELP!). Another downside, price to valet park seemed exorbitant.. especially since you could park for free in the side parking lot. The room was not cheap, so honestly I think paying for valet is a bit of a rip off.

OVERALL: I would stay again. The good outweighs the bad, by far. The hotel is great. Everything is a design lovers dream. The bar and restaurant were also excellent. Business travellers take note - specifiy in advance if you're there to Par-Tay or Sleep.

Room Tip: Just depends on what you are there for. If you actually want to sleep.. might be best to avoid rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank k111x
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

I’m pleased you enjoyed the mid-century modern style of the hotel! I also love the smell of our Red Flower products. They actually made the Icelandic Moonflower scent just for us. I apologize for the noise at the hot tub; that does not represent a typical experience at the hotel. The hotel is on seven acres. While we do have signage around the property, we try to help guests find their way around at check-in. Our front desk team shows where to find your guest room on a map and provides that map to each room checking in. Hopefully that was of some help to you. The fee for valet parking covers the garage that provides secure, underground parking. While it is normal for hotels to charge for valet, we do offer complimentary parking in two lots, which all guests are welcome to use. We appreciate your comments, and hope to see you again!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

If you like old remade 1950's hotels, this is the place for you. The furniture is hard and uncomfortable. The beds and sheets are old and dowdy. There are plenty of other beautiful hotels in Scottsdale, this is one of last resort (no pun intended). I had my dog with me and had to stay here because they took dogs. They only have valet parking which adds another $25 plus tips every day to your bill, plus waiting around for your car each time you want to go somewhere. The Valley Ho is located on a dead end with nothing around it, its a really bad location. The pool is old and funky. The staff consists of a bunch of young college kids who don't have a clue about service ( or logic). I wouldn't stay here again. A friend warned me how bad the hotel was, I should have listened.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Mastermisty
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Mastermisty,

While we appreciate your comments, we would like to ensure that the public reading your review are given all the facts. Yes, the hotel was originally constructed in 1956, but was completely rehabilitated and reopened in late 2005. This was in place of destroying a historically significant post-modern building and filling a landfill with debris. We are not sure from your comments which furniture you are referencing as hard and uncomfortable, but we replaced our lobby, lounge, and restaurant furnishings within the last year and also had all guestrooms re-carpeted and pool furnishing recovered. The bed linens are Sobel-Westex linens with a 300-thread count and are replaced at the first sign of wear, and the beds are Simmons Westbury — made here in Phoenix. We typically receive high marks on both our bed and bedding comfort; we apologize you didn’t have a similar experience.

We do accept small pets without any additional fees or deposits. he hotel offers both valet and self parking in multiple locations. Self parking is 100% complimentary with three available areas on-site, and valet parking is in a security-monitored, underground facility, at a cost of $14 per day, not $25. Also, tipping is not necessary as the staff are compensated through the nightly valet fee, but tips are always appreciated for prompt and thorough service.

We are confused by your location comments as Hotel Valley Ho is located at the west end of Main Street in Downtown Scottsdale, one of the most populated thoroughfares running east and west in the area. In addition to our two dining outlets on-site and 24-hour room service, we offer the following attractions/businesses within one (1) mile: Fashion Square Mall – the Southwest’s largest indoor mall (0.9 miles), The Tortilla Factory (0.1 mile), Grazie (0.1 mile), Malee’s Thai Bistro (0.2 miles), Mable’s on Main (0.2 miles), Eddy’s House (0.2 miles), SMOCA – Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (0.5 miles), Scottsdale Center for Performing Arts (0.5 miles), Robert Black Fashions (0.4 miles), Coach House Bar (0.2 miles), Frank & Lupe’s (0.3 miles), RnR Restaurant (0.3 miles), and many more, plus approximately 30+ art galleries within a mile.

The OH Pool has been named one of the “World’s Coolest Pools” by Travel + Leisure, “Best Party Resort Pool” by Arizona Foothills Magazine, and “Best Cabana” by The Arizona Republic. We pride our property and its entire team on running a great business operation. We sincerely apologize that is did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed here on a recent visit to Scottsdale and loved it! The hotel has been beautifully restored to the 50's and 60's era that it was originally built in with a cool hip feel. The rooms are spacious, the grounds immaculate, the bar and pool area fantastic. Within walking distance to Old Scottsdale, you can enjoy the shops and restaurants in addition to the fine art galleries.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments! I'm pleased to hear that you had such a pleasant stay. I also like all there is to see in Old Town Scottsdale.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

OMG! I was in Scottsdale back in December and had a great time here at the "Ho!"

The rooms are beautifully decorated and the photos posted here do not do this hotel justice. Can I get the phone number of your designer??? I'm gonna attach 30 or so photos that I took during my trip.

Bell staff, front desk, concierge, bartenders, servers, room service, maids, etc.... All TOP Notch! All employees seemed to LOVE to work there!

Unfortunately, the December weather was awful when I was there so I didn't get a chance to hit the pool. So... I am returning in the beginning of June and can't wait to see the scene!

Yes, it is a party hotel... And on the weekends, there will be people coming and going all through the night. Lots of bachelorette parties, fun couples, fun singles. I'm sure that the pool is off the chain during the weekends. Can I get a comped cabana for my 5 star review??? ;)

It's a nice stroll to downtown. However, there are plenty of towncar services that you can hire for those whom don't like to walk anywhere. There is a huge Circle K across the street where you can get wine, beer, liquor, snacks, movies, etc....

Room service is the best I've ever experienced!

Beds are comfy, the bath is sexy and the mini bar has everything you want!

Be sure to walk the grounds and check out the rooftop area.

See you guys soon!

Room Tip: I stayed in a room that had a patio that overlooked the pool. I'll certainly book the same room...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

I'm glad you like the style of the hotel! The interior of the Tower was done by Cathy Hayes, while the interior of the original areas of the hotel was done by Cole Martinez Curtis. Sorry you weren't able to enjoy the pool due to the weather; there are a lot of days in December that get up to the high 60s and 70s, with lots of sun. Thank you for your review! Happy travels.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here for one night (after returning from the Grand Canyon) - we did not have any reservations and I believe we got one of the few remaining rooms left. The price was very good (compared to the other properties in the area) and was clean, modern and definitly very enjoyable. We were traveling with a 9 year-old and I will say this is probably better during the week (for families with young children). It was a very noisy and busy Saturday night, with groups of youngsters in the rooms adjoining us partying and in the morning a wine bottle broken in front of one of the rooms on our way out to get breakfast. It was cleaned up by the time we returned. Overall the location is great, the decor is very unique and fun and I would recommend it - just beware of the weekend crowds!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

I’m pleased you like the style of the hotel. We have a no-party policy for all of our rooms, and our staff immediately addresses any noise complaints. We definitely want all of our guests to get a good night’s sleep! I apologize for the noise you experienced, and the broken bottle. Our housekeeping team does an excellent job of keeping the grounds clean and free of debris. We do have live music on Fridays through July, and a DJ on Saturdays through September. The hotel is more lively on these days, and you will find a quieter experience on other days. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and we hope you will return for another visit. Thank you for your comments!