“Fun, maybe better for families during the week...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Valley Ho
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta
“Fun, maybe better for families during the week...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here for one night (after returning from the Grand Canyon) - we did not have any reservations and I believe we got one of the few remaining rooms left. The price was very good (compared to the other properties in the area) and was clean, modern and definitly very enjoyable. We were traveling with a 9 year-old and I will say this is probably better during the week (for families with young children). It was a very noisy and busy Saturday night, with groups of youngsters in the rooms adjoining us partying and in the morning a wine bottle broken in front of one of the rooms on our way out to get breakfast. It was cleaned up by the time we returned. Overall the location is great, the decor is very unique and fun and I would recommend it - just beware of the weekend crowds!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
I’m pleased you like the style of the hotel. We have a no-party policy for all of our rooms, and our staff immediately addresses any noise complaints. We definitely want all of our guests to get a good night’s sleep! I apologize for the noise you experienced, and the broken bottle. Our housekeeping team does an excellent job of keeping the grounds clean and free of debris. We do have live music on Fridays through July, and a DJ on Saturdays through September. The hotel is more lively on these days, and you will find a quieter experience on other days. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay overall, and we hope you will return for another visit. Thank you for your comments!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great place to stay. Terrific pool and band on Friday and the kids had a blast staying in "bedrock"

• 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you enjoyed the live music at the pool! We hope to welcome you back soon.
Ankeny, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I went to this hotel for a business meeting, not sure what to expect about the "restoration" back to the original "retro" feel of the 50s and 60s. I was pleasantly surprised - while this is clearly a period hotel, it was done in a funky, cool way, with all the modern amenities. The layout of the hotel is clearly mid-century modern, reminding me of the early trips when I was a kid. That said, the bathrooms and beds are definitely 21st century. The meeting space was comfortable, and the food good. It is an easy walk to several restaurants and galleries. If I find myself back in Scottsdale, I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: ask to be closer to the main building - there separate buildings that are hard to get to at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
I'm glad you approve of the hotel's renovation! It's definitely something that we paid a lot of attention to. Thank you for your review.
milw wi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

we stayed saturday and sunday nights. upon arrival saturday at 4pm, loud music and a younger crowd whooping it up at pool. I was a bit worried my 2nd floor room facing pool late night. I was assured by front desk it would not go into saturday night, and indeed it wound down around 6pm. We really liked our accommodations, room wise. pool seemed really nice, it was in 60s on saturday, low 70s on sunday, never got a toe wet. by far the best room coffee I have ever had in a hotel. the coffee coupled with wall street journal, ny times and scottsdale newpaper in lobby each morning, hit my sweet spot.
The bed may well have been the best I have slept in as well. my wife loved the toiletries. we had breakfast one morning at zu zus, it was of high quality. the location of property is good for walking within the down town scottsdale area The exercise facilities are above average. 3 tread mills, 3 ellipticals, and i was happy to see to see a step mill. a variety of weight machines, dumb bells, and an aerobic area as well.

the only minor negatives I can muster..
-the large fashion mall is about 1 mile away. free shuttles run 11am-6pm . we walked it a couple times after dinner, which is fine for me, not so much for my wife.
-property layout is not traditional, and map/ signs to your room, etc not so good. a normal person would ask for directions, I got more exercise.
- definitely a younger crowd at pool on sunday. some sponsored event by Stoli vodka perhaps influenced this. I, in my mid 50's, hung out in back row with my book for 3 hrs (wife shopping) and was fine with it.

this was our 1st time in phoenix/scottsdale, I will say we both quite satisfied with our accommodations here, and would not hesitate to stay her again.

Room Tip: i think worrying about the view from various room balconies is a bit silly. you in the middle of th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I'm pleased you were able to enjoy spending some time by the pool and at ZuZu! Aside from cabs, another way to get to Fashion Square Mall is to rent bicycles (we have them). We hope to see you again!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I came to Valley Ho six years ago and try to stay at least once a year. Just got back and had the best time. There is something about these rooms that makes you feel so good. I hung out in mine for most of the morning and ordered room service. Whoever designed this place knew what they were doing. The balconies have big glass doors and you can create a great indoor outdoor space, though maybe not in the summer. I would never go on a weekend, but Monday night was perfect for my temperment. Zulu has been hit or miss. I play it safe and go out on the patio and order small items. The ahi sliders are excellent. Only place I will stay in Scottsdale. People watching is great and I mean all ages including some really hip looking seniors.

Room Tip: Standard rooms located at the end of where the pool is over a pretty grassy area with a wonderful fo...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your room and private patio! We have live music at our pool on weekends in the summer, but October through February are quieter. I'd love to learn more about your visits to ZuZu; we want to make sure you have a great experience. Thank you for your comments. Happy travels!