New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ankeny, Iowa
“not your typical hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I went to this hotel for a business meeting, not sure what to expect about the "restoration" back to the original "retro" feel of the 50s and 60s. I was pleasantly surprised - while this is clearly a period hotel, it was done in a funky, cool way, with all the modern amenities. The layout of the hotel is clearly mid-century modern, reminding me of the early trips when I was a kid. That said, the bathrooms and beds are definitely 21st century. The meeting space was comfortable, and the food good. It is an easy walk to several restaurants and galleries. If I find myself back in Scottsdale, I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: ask to be closer to the main building - there separate buildings that are hard to get to at night.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
I'm glad you approve of the hotel's renovation! It's definitely something that we paid a lot of attention to. Thank you for your review.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
milw wi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

we stayed saturday and sunday nights. upon arrival saturday at 4pm, loud music and a younger crowd whooping it up at pool. I was a bit worried my 2nd floor room facing pool late night. I was assured by front desk it would not go into saturday night, and indeed it wound down around 6pm. We really liked our accommodations, room wise. pool seemed really nice, it was in 60s on saturday, low 70s on sunday, never got a toe wet. by far the best room coffee I have ever had in a hotel. the coffee coupled with wall street journal, ny times and scottsdale newpaper in lobby each morning, hit my sweet spot.
The bed may well have been the best I have slept in as well. my wife loved the toiletries. we had breakfast one morning at zu zus, it was of high quality. the location of property is good for walking within the down town scottsdale area The exercise facilities are above average. 3 tread mills, 3 ellipticals, and i was happy to see to see a step mill. a variety of weight machines, dumb bells, and an aerobic area as well.

the only minor negatives I can muster..
-the large fashion mall is about 1 mile away. free shuttles run 11am-6pm . we walked it a couple times after dinner, which is fine for me, not so much for my wife.
-property layout is not traditional, and map/ signs to your room, etc not so good. a normal person would ask for directions, I got more exercise.
- definitely a younger crowd at pool on sunday. some sponsored event by Stoli vodka perhaps influenced this. I, in my mid 50's, hung out in back row with my book for 3 hrs (wife shopping) and was fine with it.

this was our 1st time in phoenix/scottsdale, I will say we both quite satisfied with our accommodations here, and would not hesitate to stay her again.

Room Tip: i think worrying about the view from various room balconies is a bit silly. you in the middle of th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I'm pleased you were able to enjoy spending some time by the pool and at ZuZu! Aside from cabs, another way to get to Fashion Square Mall is to rent bicycles (we have them). We hope to see you again!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I came to Valley Ho six years ago and try to stay at least once a year. Just got back and had the best time. There is something about these rooms that makes you feel so good. I hung out in mine for most of the morning and ordered room service. Whoever designed this place knew what they were doing. The balconies have big glass doors and you can create a great indoor outdoor space, though maybe not in the summer. I would never go on a weekend, but Monday night was perfect for my temperment. Zulu has been hit or miss. I play it safe and go out on the patio and order small items. The ahi sliders are excellent. Only place I will stay in Scottsdale. People watching is great and I mean all ages including some really hip looking seniors.

Room Tip: Standard rooms located at the end of where the pool is over a pretty grassy area with a wonderful fo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
I'm glad you enjoyed your room and private patio! We have live music at our pool on weekends in the summer, but October through February are quieter. I'd love to learn more about your visits to ZuZu; we want to make sure you have a great experience. Thank you for your comments. Happy travels!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Do not miss this lovingly restored gem. Great historic flavor, and be sure to sign up for the historic property tour. Clean, great service all around.

Restaurant is not as great as they all think it is and we had sub-par service at dinner. Plus weekend nights are really noisy since the bar area spills into the restaurant.

Do yourself a favor and AVOID THE TOWER. it is a new building and incredibly noisy, with a weird mix of residents and hotel guests. The original buildings are the ONLY WAY to go on this property! luckily they make up the majority of rooms and are so much prettier and quieter. Pet friendly.

Room Tip: AVOID THE TOWER ROOMS. you will not get the historic flavor from these rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Merlekins
Kristin_Heggli, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Valley Ho, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
I’m glad you enjoyed the style of the hotel, and were able to go on the historic tour! Ace Bailey is a real expert. I’m sorry to hear you weren’t satisfied with your experience at ZuZu; if I can get more information about your visit to the restaurant, I’d love to address your service issues with our team there. The new Tower is normally not louder than the original buildings; we immediately address any noise complaints from guests, as we know how important it is to have some quiet and a good night’s sleep! We have a no-party policy for our rooms and do take that seriously. I’m glad you like the original buildings of the hotel. We hope to welcome you back and would love a second chance to create a memorable stay!
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

This review is very late:( I stayed with SO and another couple at the Valley Ho last October. We loved it there. It was a clean, trendy hotel with a great pool area. We loved the location to all the shopping and places to eat and we were able to just walk everywhere which is very important to us when we are vacationing.
The room was spacious and we had our own little patio. I loved the decor in the room and around the hotel. It is bright and cheery unlike most hotels that are dreary and honestly outdated. I also love a private entrance that allows you to come and go as you please without passing a check in desk and a ride in the elevator with ten strangers :)
The food was great at the pool and the restaurant on site says the self proclaimed foodie. We were there to catch the Steelers football game that weekend so the drive to Glendale was not a problem from Scottsdale and in my opinion a better option to stay in then Glendale.
All in all I really had a great experience in Scottsdale that made me rethink living up north!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you like the style of the hotel! I'm a big fan of mid-century modern design. It sounds like you had a fun stay and were able to check out Downtown Scottsdale a bit. We hope to see you again! Thank you.