“Great place but rooms showing wear”

The Westin Kierland Villas
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ocala, Florida
“Great place but rooms showing wear”
Reviewed 11 April 2010

We have owned a two bedroom lock-off since 2004 and have stayed here on several occasions. We always take a one bedroom deluxe for two weeks rather than the two bedroom for a week. The one bedroom deluxe is great for two people but I think it would get a bit cramped for more.

The kitchen is large with enough pots, pans, etc to cook most anything. (Except the blender, it must have been purchased from a Dollar Store as it doesn't work well.) The oven, a combination microwave/regular is pretty small. I have never quite figured out how to make the regular oven work properly.

The facilities at the villas are all first rate. The pools are large and well maintained. The staff is friendly and helpful. There are a number of activities for children but since we didn't participate I have no idea how they were carried out. The golf course is a bit pricey but in excellent condition and fun to play.

However, I have noticed that the condition of the rooms is deteriorating. The carpets are showing wear and are dirty. The furniture in the room is also showing wear. For example, the easy chair has been pretty "sat out" and needs repair or replacement. Other furniture and walls have scrapes, dents and dings, the stuff you would expect for a resort that is now over 5 years old. In my opinion it is time to begin an overhaul. Since I pay a pretty hefty annual maintenance fee I would like to see some of this go to upgrading the rooms and furniture.

We also did not participate in the "Owner's Update" that as owners we are supposed to attend. A cash incentive is offered to do this, but in the past we have found they ended up being little update and more of an attempt to get us to buy more weeks. Our past experiences with these have been less than pleasurable so we passed this time. We were called a couple of times to try to get us attend but when we declined there were no more attempts made.

Overall, we like the villas, the location, the facility, but the rooms need to be updated. We will certainly stay again at this and other Westin time share facilities.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Denver, CO
Reviewed 26 February 2010

We stayed here two years ago and I was little worried that we wouldn't have the same great experience as last time but my family and I had a wonderful time. The kids loved the pool and activities and I loved the beautiful grounds and truly amazing Westin service...the staff is excellent from top to bottom. For example, the bellman took all our bags to the room while I was checking in, set everything out nicely for us but left before I arrived to give him a tip so we had to call to have him come back to get a tip. We look forward to returning in the fall when the weather is a little warmer and the kids can enjoy the pools even more!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed 10 January 2010

I attended an academic conference at the beginning of December. The meeting rooms and meals provided by the hotel were excellent. Service was quite attentive as well. Several colleagues and I walked over to the restaurant at the golf course for lunch. I had a delicious salmon entree which was among the best I have had. We asked for 6 separate checks and that request was accommodated without any hesitation. The rooms were pleasant but starting to show some wear. Bed was very comfortable.
Overall excellent experience. I would highly recommend it for a conference. I can't comment on leisure activities such a golf or swimming since it was wintertime and the weather was not conducive for outdoor activities.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Chicago
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We bought a 2 BR lockoff in the Villas and have loved every minute of it. Kids sleep on the sleeper sofa (which should be replaced as they are old and I HATE that bar underneath the mattress), but my kids are small and they don't mind. I also got a rollaway just in case. We use the larger one bedroom side and my inlaws stay in the smaller one bedroom that is attached. I highly recommend requesting the deluxe one bedroom side if you have kids as the smaller 1 BR side has a very small living room and kitchenette. I also ask for a room on the golf course side for peace and quiet as the pool side can be noisy during Spring Break in the morning. Love the deluxe golf cart shuttle service to the resort side where you can use the entire resort facilities, including the pool, lazy river, water slide, restaurants, spa, etc. Or you can walk over to the resort as it is only a 5 minute walk past the golf course. We have been coming here for 5 years and still really enjoy it. The nightly activities are fun too, with smores at the outdoor fireplace, movies, sing alongs, and for the adults, the bar is fun next to the pool! There is a grocery store a block from the villas (Safeway), so you can stock up and save money. Many nice restaurants at the Kierland Commons shopping plaza next door as well as within 5 minutes of the resort.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank dtcswim
Colorado
Reviewed 3 January 2010

After staying in the maui villas, we expected the same level of service and same room accommodations. Not what we received. We booked through an owner and they mislead us about the villa we rented. We received the smaller villa with a queen bed and a fold out sofa in the living room. The queen bed was nice, but small for us. The fold out sofa was laughable. Uncomfortable even for a 6 year old. Thankfully we brought a pack and play for our 2 year old to sleep in.

My biggest complaint would be no windows in the living area of the villa. There is a sliding door off of the bedroom. But nothing else. So if the kids are napping and the adults are watching tv, there is no sense of time or sunshine. Very cave like and unimpressive.

If you go during warmer months, the room may not bother you. The pool is fantastic. They have a kiddie pool that is perfect for toddlers. A nice family pool with a water slide and volley ball net. Not a beach entry pool. That one is at the main hotel that is a block away. The adult pool is nice and heater to a higher temperature than the family pool. Lots of chairs to lounge around in.

Overall the stay was nice as long as we weren't in the condo unit. I would go back and request the premium villa over the deluxe one. The premium has double the square footage.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family