“Great Time at Arizona Grand Resort”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Naperville
“Great Time at Arizona Grand Resort”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed at the Arizona Grand Resort over Spring Break. Great room, very clean property, excellent gym, great food at the on-site restaurants.
My biggest disappointment was the Water Park was handled. It was extremely crowded in the afternoon and if you didn't stand in line at the beginning of the morning to grab a chair, you were out of luck if you wanted to go in the afternoon. To make matters worse, although the resort boasts they have 7 pools, again finding a chair in the afternoon is very difficult because people just put their towels on the chairs and then leave to go to other things. Since you pay an additional daily "resort fee" I feel like you should at least be able to find a chair at the water park or the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up for a great view and close to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Lynn0503,

I’m thrilled to see that you had a great time during your stay and were pleased with the facilities. As spring break tends to be one of our busiest period during the year, you may wish to consider visiting us during other summer or fall to avoid the challenge of finding poolside chairs. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Paul Gray
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Surprise
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My family came last summer and will be coming once again May 5th! We found it relaxing, enjoyable, and definetly worth the trip.

*Resort- The resort itself is large and easy to get around (once inside.... parking is a little difficult) There are many attractions within. You can tell rennovations have been made in certain parts of the buildings. Be aware, since it is such a large facility, a large ammount of walking is required!

*Rooms- The rooms were comfortable, and had old charm. I hadn't noticed many of the blemishes pointed out by other on this site, considering we spent most of our day at the water park and once we returned, passed out due to exhaustion! Televions needed exchanging, orand a slightly bigger bathroom would have been nice. Overall, good rooms. Bed's comfortable, pillows AMAZING.

*Oasis Water Park- Fun for all ages! We came around 10:45 unaware of the need to arrive early. However, a couple under a cabana had left for breakfast and we were able to snath the shaded area. The kids ran off, and we spent the entire day there. The water is excellent, and the lazy river's exceptional. Tip: If unable to find a lounging chair due to hortage, ask a staff member!

*Food- Considering we were on a budget, we did not eat at all around the resort. Instead, for dinner we drove up the hill to a fun, western restaurant called Rustler's Roost. The slide into the dining area welcomes you, and the saw dust on the floor added to the effect. Don't be afraid to try Rattlesnake... tastes like chicken!:)

*Extras- If you are on a lower level or have a bad view, some portions of the buildings have stairways to the roof. At the fall of dusk we went up one of the stairways and found not only a fabulous phoenix view, but lounging chairs! We ended up laying out for a while and enjoying the night temp and the scenic view of phoenix lights.

-I have fabulous memories here, so don't be scared by some of the grumpy reviewers:) Hope you enjoy this resort as much as I did-

Room Tip: Pools are everywhere, so if you aren't so keen on a crowded water park, go find seperate pools i...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank cambridge101
Dear cambridge101

Thank for your kind review, recommendations, great tips and loyalty! I am pleased to see that you made fabulous family memories during your stay, and we can’t wait to welcome you back in May.

Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Arizona Grand Resort for four nights. The friendliness and service was quite good, and most people were very approachable. Front desk service was very good as well.
The good: there was something for everyone there. There are multiple pools and hot tubs on the resort, and the adult pool offers an area away from the hustle and bustle of the water park. The spa is great for relaxation as well. The entire resort was very safe feeling and very comfortable wherever I went.
The not so good: The key cards for your room REALLY need to be updated. I had nothing but trouble with mine, and ended up making 4 or 5 trips back to the front desk just to get into my room. The housekeeping staff are on the job quite early, and in some cases were knocking on doors before 9 in the morning (I found this disturbing). I also had housekeeping just walk into my room without knocking at all. The resort offers a few different choices of restaurants, but I spent the most time in the "lobby grill". The food itself was great, but I found the staff had some "weak" servers. Sometimes I would be taken care of better than ever before, and other times I would have lengthy waits for any attention at all. I found this frustrating at times, and can even single out who was good and who was slacking.
In addition, the room doors and outside walls do not offer much silence. I was awoken a few times by screaming children or even the sound of a suitcase being pulled across the stone walkways.
Overall: It was a good experience. The atmosphere here is perfect for families or couples, but I wouldn't recommend it to singles, as there were virtually no other people here that were like me. 90% of the time, service is fantastic but there were one or two servers in the kitchen that need to be helped. Room quality was good, but the key cards desperately need to be updated to something a little more reliable.
If you are going somewhere with the kids or your significant other, I highly recommend it. If you are shooting off on a solo adventure, you might want to pick something in a different direction.

Room Tip: Rooms in the camelback building on the ground floor are very noisy due to their proximity to the poo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank EvanPorter
Dear EvanPorter,

Thank you for sharing your review and fantastic photos! It is great to see that everyone in your group had a good time and found something fun to do. In our experience we see more of an “adult” crowd in the winter when the water park closes for the season. I look forward to welcoming you back to Arizona Grand Resort.

Tucson
Reviewed 19 April 2012

It was packed with families and that's great unless you forgot to have children. The place is huge and has big pools, a big lazy river and water slides, stage and constant music on one side of the property. However, when a friend and I were in town on business, we decided to go to a small pool in a enclave near our room, and we were there no more than 15 minutes when a family of 4 kids jumped in the tiny pool splashing us and using water guns like they thought is was the water park area. There was another "older" couple there (like in their 30's) and the four of us couldn't believe the parents would allow this, being that we were there first. I think, even in Disneyland, adults (anyone over 30) needs a small haven, other than the hotel bar where we had to go after that incident. Why should we be holed up in the tiny, but nice ok enough room? After a few drinks, poured by one great bartender, we went down both of the 8-story drop water slides. If ya can't beat 'em join 'em! But management, please rope off one little pool for adults in the middle of this huge complex. Yes there is a lap pool for old folks near the gym...right next to the screamers going down the slides. I screamed my hear off!

Room Tip: Get a room near the golf cart area. Far enough to not hear the noise but close enough to get a coffe...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
newcastle, wa
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My family and I stayed at the Arizona Grand Resort for one night. My kids really enjoyed the Oasis Water Park. The rooms at this resort was another story. Our room had a nice view of the golf course. Once we walked into the room, it was dark and had a smell to it. They still had the small tube t.v's. The food at the water park was over-priced, but I expected that, so I was not surprised there. My kids aged 8, 10, and 11 had a great time at the water park, but called it quits after a few hours. Overall they had a good time. Rooms at this resort needs to be brightened a bit and updated.

Room Tip: We enjoyed out breakfast at the Waffle House down the street. Good food, great prices especially if...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family