Different Pointe of View at Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort
Ranked #23 of 3,315 Restaurants in Phoenix
Price range: US$ 31 - US$ 50
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: North Mountain
Cross street: 7th Street, 3/4 mile south of Thunderbird Rd.
Description: Poised 1,800 feet above the Valley of the Sun, Different Pointe of View offers guests breathtaking views second only to the outstanding regional American cuisine that features fresh local and organic ingredients. The restaurant's mountaintop location and floor to ceiling windows provide stunning views of the desert landscape, the city's twinkling lights in the distance and Arizona's brilliant sunsets. No restaurant in the state has a longer streak of consecutive AAA four-diamond awards and Sunset Magazine named it one of the top 10 mountaintop restaurants in the nation. Valley residents have come for years to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, romantic evenings or just treat themselves to one of the most unique Arizona experiences. The Terrace Room Lounge, next to the restaurant, features one of the largest patios and a nine foot fire pit on the cliff side
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

Delicious food - incredible view- pricey but worth it - perfect for a romantic dinner, you can watch the sun set.

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

Absolutely love this place. Love. The ambiance of the whole hotel. The restaurant is fabulous. The Hotel is fantastic. The pools are awesome. Planning on going back very soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Our server Brian was outstanding. We were checked on several times by both Brian, our waiter and William, the General Manager. Out of the three times we've been there this was superb. Don't get me wrong, it's always amazing but this time was extra amazing. Brian made wine suggestions based on the entrees we picked. The wine went perfectly with the food. The chef's special was amazing!!! As always, thank you for such a great experience.

Reviewed 5 August 2018

We have been dining at a Different Pointe of View, since before we moved to Phoenix, right at 20 years ago. We discovered them, when my wife was down for about her third interview, and we have been returning ever since. Different Pointe of View is the fine-dining restaurant, for the Hilton Pointe Tapatio Golf Resort, and as we live on that golf course, they are close to us – only about a mile away, but with a twisty, mountain road to get there – they sit on the very top of a lovely mountain, with views of much of North Phoenix, spreading out below. Over the last 20 years, we have dined there as a couple (and not just for special occasions), with friends, for business conferences, for candidate dinners, and this visit, was for my birthday. As we had been traveling extensively, I was ready to celebrate “close to home.” Also, the last visit to Different Pointe of View was for a largish business dinner, and before that, on a night when everything conspired against us – everything BUT a Different Pointe of View – and we only got to eat about half of our first course, when an alarm that our house had been broken into – or was afire (alarm company did not know which!) came in, and we had to rush out, and down the mountain, leaving family members sitting (I paid the bill, and tipped our poor server very well). I wanted to go back, just my wife and me, so we made that happen, on a hot July night.

Now, a Different Pointe of View started out as a fine-dining venue, Etienne's. It was located in the same spot, but was more of a free-standing, chef-driven establishment. It was known for an outstanding wine list – both very deep, and also broad – along with great food, with a decidedly French flair. At a point, just before we moved to the Valley of the Sun, Etienne’s closed, and became a Different Pointe of View. They still had that great wine list, but the food became a bit more “Americanized.” Over the years, Hilton management has sold off some of the wine cellar (I got about 6 cases of interesting wines, at good prices), and the executive chefs have changed. For some time, that position has been filled by Chef Anthony DeMuro, and we have enjoyed his food. A few chefs, between Etienne and DeMuro – well not so much, but their tenures were always short-lived.

Along with a few culinary directions, one thing, which has changed, is the wine list. Once, it won awards, but stocking 1,000's of bottles of fine, and great wines, comes at a price – a very steep price. I know this all too well, with my small, personal cellar (with some of the wines from the “old” Different Pointe of View, still in it... ). I miss that previous wine list, and on each visit, it seems that the emphasis is toward “the usual suspects,” and the really interesting wines do not stick around that long. Not sure if it’s a “corporate accounting” thing, or maybe a new sommelier, who feels that the wine list was unmanageable, but things have changed.

With that in mind, we started out with the wine list, and I came up with a “plan of attack:
Tattinger Le Française Brut NV, to start. We love Tattinger, and though this is an “entry-level” wine for that house, it is a good one.

That gave us time to work with the menu a bit. OK, it is Summer, and visitors to “The Valley of the Sun” are fewer, but we were sorry that the Chef’s Tasting Menu could not be adapted to my wife’s bi-valve allergy. We love to do chefs’ Tasting Menus, and add many Sommelier’s Wine Pairings to those. So, we looked over the rest of the menu. Our choices would dictate which would be our next wines.

We chose:
Loch Etive Steelhead Crudo w/ cucumber, lime zest, mint, cucumber gelée – very good, and the Trout tasted very fresh. The cucumber gelée was a surprise, and a nice one.
Lobster Rice Paper Roll w/ pickled enoki mushrooms, cucumber, radish sprouts, Napa cabbage, soy foam, and spicy mango sauce – very nice, but cumbersome to eat. The rolls were rather tall, and the Rice Paper too thin, to hold things together. If they had been cut, maybe into 1/3rds, and chopsticks provided, perhaps they would have been easier to handle. Now, with the mechanics aside, the flavors, and textures, even when “deconstructed,” were excellent!
Beef Shortrib “Special,” and unfortunately, I did not write down all of the ingredients, or the exact preparation – a nice dish, and the Shortribs were tender, and fairly lean, plus the prep very tasty.
Truffle-grilled Prime Filet w/ piquillo pepper-asiago cheese grits, sautéed baby kale, shallots & baby artichokes in a roasted portobelo reduction – an excellent piece of beef, and cooked perfectly.
P.B. Chocolate & Bananas w/ chocolate peanut butter mousse, and carmelized banana ice cream – not being a “dessert person,” I have to say that this was very good. Along with the dessert came some bon-bons, and a “happy birthday” placard in chocolate – along with a “birthday glass of wine,” the Sebastiani Merlot.

Our dinner wines ended up being the Domaine Drouhin Dundee Hills Pinot Noir ‘15, and the Domaine Drouhin Dundee Hills Chardonnay ‘14 – might as well keep it in the “family,” and besides, I had taken my wife to Domaine Drouhin in Beaune for HER birthday some years before, and the winery gave her a gift of two mixed cases of their finest Burgundies! So, I had no problems going to their US operation for both of our wines.

Service was excellent, and the restaurant was as lovely as it has always been. Our little 4-top was adequate in size, for the two of us (even with the wines), and adequately spaced from surrounding tables. The noise level was quite low, even though they filled up pretty well, for a late July weekday evening. The bar, a floor below, was also relatively quiet. On some visits, the noise from it, can make its way into the restaurant above – not this time. On the service end, the closest thing that I have to a complaint is that the level of the wine stemware seems to have diminished. Still OK, but a level, or two down, from what I once knew.

During the meal (we were seated at the window), we had a very nice sunset, which was a lovely addition to a great meal.

2  Thank The_Loup_Garou
Reviewed 30 July 2018

Was staying at the resort overnight with friends. Went to this restaurant to have a cocktail and look at the view. Not able to order food as it was too late??

Travellers who viewed Different Pointe of View at Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort also viewed

Gila River Indian Community, Central Arizona

Phoenix, Central Arizona

Been to Different Pointe of View at Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK