June 27, 2006 – If this review seems like I am partial to the Camelback Inn that is true. I try to stay a couple times a year during the summer when the rates are low. I really like the resort. It is one of my favorite places.
When I checked in I received the non-smoking king room that I wanted, but I was unhappy with the room type and the location. Some of the rooms (I’ll call them the “round” rooms) do not have work desks, which is a necessity for me. I also prefer rooms facing the North Garden. I was pleased that the front desk associate was able to quickly offer me a room on the North Garden with a desk. My room was #383, a ground floor non-smoking double with two queen-size beds.
The first thing that I noticed on entering the room was the new bedding. The beds are much higher than they were and all of the bedding is the new Marriot Revive package. The new bedding really brightened up the room. There was also new artwork on every wall and new lighting as well. The new blended well with the old and the Southwestern décor, which I like, was maintained.
The resort offers high speed internet service for $9.95 per day. It includes unlimited domestic long distance. The service provider is I-Bahn (STSN) and it always works great. I was able to connect with our company’s VPN easily. The in-room safe is large enough to hold a laptop computer.
Like most Marriott properties, the TV has local, cable, and pay-per-view movie channels. The room had three phones; one on the night stand, one in the bathroom, and a cordless phone on the desk. Each room also has a combination CD player and clock radio.
In the bathroom the shower curtains were new to match the bedding. The bath amenities are now by June Jacobs. The resort provides thick and soft robes for guests as well as really thick and absorbent towels. There are also two umbrellas in the closet for those rare times when it rains in the area.
I called the “At Your Service” number to order breakfast for the next morning. The associate was cheerful, friendly, and efficient. After she took my breakfast order she asked if I wanted a wake-up call, which I did.
Turndown service includes came while I was doing some work. Besides turning down the bed they replaced a used towel, filed the ice bucket and left a chocolate on the bed. I appreciated the ice the most!
Room Service breakfast was delivered one minute early. The associate set up my breakfast on the patio which was wonderful. I had ordered a waffle with bananas and pecans, fresh fruit and milk. The cold things arrived cold (actually on ice) and the hot items, including the pure maple syrup arrived hot. The waffle and the fresh fruit were excellent. With the 20% service charge and the $4.00 delivery charge my breakfast came to about $25.00.
The room had a micro kitchen which included a fairly large under-the-counter refrigerator, a microwave oven, coffee maker and coffee service, and a sink. To pick up food or drink for your room, I recommend AJ’s market. It is about two miles directly East of The Camelback Inn on Lincoln just before Scottsdale Blvd. It is a wonderful gourmet market.
One of the things that I appreciate most about Marriott’s Camelback Inn are the grounds. The property is large and casitas are no more than two stories high. The natural looking desert landscaping is awesome. The North Garden with a lush green lawn is a real contract, but also beautiful. Walking the grounds in the morning or evening is a real treat. It is quiet and peaceful, not at all like most resorts in the area.
Another aspect of The Camelback Inn that appeals to me is the history. In a hallway just off the lobby are photos of the resort from the 1930’s. Marriott has done a great job not only preserving the historic aspect of the property, but making it a beautiful contemporary resort as well.
I’ll be back. As soon as possible!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unrivaled among resorts in Scottsdale, Arizona, luxurious JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa remains faithful to its storied history while boldly embracing the future. Located on a breathtaking 125-acre campus beneath Mummy Mountain, this stunning resort features a hacienda style entry, casita guest rooms and impressive amenities that leave guests with the thought of "In all the world, only one..." Golfers will enjoy 36-holes of championship golf at Camelback Golf Club or instruction from the Advantage Golf School. Spa-goers can unwind at award-winning Camelback Spa with a signature spa treatment, or poolside beneath a cabana while overlooking Camelback Mountain. When you are ready to discover the local area, allow the professional concierges to compliment your interests with the perfect activity or attraction. It's easy to understand why families, business luminaries and leaders alike return to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa year after year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Camelback Inn Scottsdale Hotel Paradise Valley
- Jw Marriott Camelback Inn Scottsdale Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott Scottsdale
- Camelback Hotel Jw Marriott
- Marriott Scottsdale
- Scottsdale Marriott