I stayed at the Camelback with my husband and toddler for a few days in December. We had a fabulous time. I will attempt to review the resort in great detail so that readers can benefit from those issues that most interest them.
Check In & Front Desk - very friendly and professional; room was ready within a half hour of waiting; we arrived around 1pm before check in time
Lobby - very inviting with a beautiful fireplace, new furnishings; citrus mint water and apples were complimentary
Resort - very spread out, makes for wonderful walks through the little streets or pathways through the absolutely stunning landscape - more beautiful than the Four Seasons Scottsdale! The little village right by the Spa called Mummy Mountain Village was very typical to a cowboy type atmosphere, like a backstage to a movie, great for photos!
Laundry rooms and complimentary detergent around the casitas (rooms).
Parking - free and you can park your car right by your casita (room)
Rooms (Casitas) - the resort is divided up into many many little buildings that have about 4 casitas each. Each building is 2 story. You have a better view if you request a second floor. We were very satisfied to have a beautiful casita on a second floor by the pool. It was called a sun deck room. That deck is literally 1000 square feet. it is huge! It has lounging chairs as well as patio furniture with a table for dinner if you so chose to order in or have a picnic! We also had another small regular balcony on the other side of the room.
The room was like a little condo. We had a little kitchenette that included an empty refrigerator (handy for a child's snacks etc...), a microwave, a sink and cabinets. There were no utensils nor plates provided. There was a seperate mini bar/refrigerator that is kept locked in the room (which is great with kids around).
Flat screen TV was great.
Tip: If you want a DVD player for the kids and do not want to spend extra ordering movies from the TV, call the front desk and they will deliver a complimentary DVD player right to you to just plug in!
Sitting area is quite large. Bed is very comfortable.
Bathroom - not quite luxurious at all. If you are into spa tubs and beautiful tiles etc.... forget it. The bathroom was very bare and minimal. A simple tub with a curtain on rings next to a toilet. They have not splurged on the bathroom at all. There are 2 sinks, one in the bathroom and one right outside it in front of a closet. Toiletries are plentiful and good.
Closet space -not much if you are staying a long time. Not too many drawers in the room.
Note: we found out that this entire hotel is also a timeshare at the same time, so time share owners stay at the exact same rooms as regular guests. That is why there are connecting doors within the room between the kitchenette and the bathroom hallway that are both locked. Apparently that is the Big closet for time share owners to store their stuff on longer stays.
Safes - there are 2 safes; one that uses a key in the back of the sliding closet and one under the TV that takes a code.
Activities for Children: There is a children's club, however if it is closed or if you have a toddler - there is a complimentary 9 hole pitch and putt golf course at the front of the property. They will provide you with clubs and balls. There is also a playground on site! It has slides and climbers. There is also a little basketball court next to it and a sand pit. The hotel provides little fire engines and dump trucks that are just sitting on the sand there!
Pool - there is only one swimming pool but it is Huge. It is divided into a lap pool on one end. It is always heated in the winter to 80 degrees. They also give little fruit treats around the pool.
Restaurants - the Jack Rabbit restaurant near the pool is very good and service is great. We did not have a chance to eat at BLT nor the main restaurant (forgot the name). There is a beautiful terrace with a huge fire pit outisde the main restaurant with streams of water running around it. it is truly spectacular like the rest of the landscape. There is an actual Starbucks on the property by the lobby (not just a stand).
Spa - we did not utilize the services of the spa, however we visited it and it was stunning. It apparently has received awards for being one of the best spas in the world.
Service - very friendly staff and willing to help, however they are not as professional as the Four Seasons Staff. They are much more casual and noticeably not as experienced.
Conveniences: the location is in the middle of town, close to the Scottsdale mall which is newly renovated and beautuful, downtown, the water district and also close to Phoenix. There is a railroad park and museum around the corner for those of you with kids. You can also hike up a hking trail at the back of the resort. They have bikes available at the frint of the property for you. If you have a rental car, there is a Trader Joes really close by as well as other markets for snacks or fruit for your refrigerator!
Housekeeping - Problem!! They take their time and cleaned our room either very late in the afternoon (when we had left around 10am each day) and one day we had to call to have someone clean our room because they failed to do so! That has never happened to me. Once the room was cleaned, we had no complaints. They are just slow and lazy.
As a whole we had a fabulous mini vacation and would return to the Camelback. It was a third of the price of the Four Seasons and we thought it was a much better value, even though we loved the Four Seasons too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unrivaled among resorts in Scottsdale, Arizona, luxurious JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa remains faithful to its storied history while boldly embracing the future. Located on a breathtaking 125-acre campus beneath Mummy Mountain, this stunning resort features a hacienda style entry, casita guest rooms and impressive amenities that leave guests with the thought of "In all the world, only one..." Golfers will enjoy 36-holes of championship golf at Camelback Golf Club or instruction from the Advantage Golf School. Spa-goers can unwind at award-winning Camelback Spa with a signature spa treatment, or poolside beneath a cabana while overlooking Camelback Mountain. When you are ready to discover the local area, allow the professional concierges to compliment your interests with the perfect activity or attraction. It's easy to understand why families, business luminaries and leaders alike return to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa year after year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Camelback Inn Scottsdale Hotel Paradise Valley
- Jw Marriott Camelback Inn Scottsdale Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott Scottsdale
- Camelback Hotel Jw Marriott
- Marriott Scottsdale
- Scottsdale Marriott