“Review ofMontelucia”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Puerto plata
“Review ofMontelucia”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Montelucia is a lovely site set up as a ' village' with a mix of Spanish and Moroccean. It has beautiful landscaping.

The gym and spa are fine; gym is step up from basic. Spinning bikes outside are a nice touch

Food is delicious and eating outside is a special treat when you come from the (colder) east coast when travelling in winter

What sets this property apart is the customer service, especially of those working in the main restaurant. The hostess remembered names and beverage preferences- a personalized touch that was memorable.

Room Tip: I was in room over the dining room. It was convenient as close to registration, a perk when arriving...
1 Thank Margaret P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I enjoyed an anniversary weekend getaway at the wonderful Montelucia Resort & Spa. What a treat! From the moment we arrived till the moment we left the staff was courteous, helpful, friendly and very attentive.
The room was comfortable and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud! The staff respected our privacy, almost to a fault, as they declined to deliver an anniversary gift from family due to the fact that we had the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. A few texts from loved ones and that problem was solved! Not a bad problem to have....is it??!!?? :-)
The views and architecture of the grounds were so beautiful. Everywhere we turned, from the restaurants, bar, courtyard, pools, and pathways....all stunning. I especially loved the lighting at night....so nice!
There are a couple of pool choices and we chose the Oasis. It provided a delightful swimming experience from the perfectly heated pool to the relaxing music. Plenty of lounge chairs to choose from and you also had your choice of sunny or shaded areas. They always had chilled water to sip and lots of luxurious towels as well.
We dined at the Prado restaurant for our special night out and thought the food was delicious although a bit pricey. Lunch and drinks poolside at the ROC was a treat as well. Crave was a great place to grab a coffee or snack too.
The views of Camelback Mountain are great and if you are up for the challenge....take an early morning hike to the top.....you will be glad you did!
What a wonderful place to relax, unwind, soak up some serenity and pamper yourself. Do yourself a favor and make a reservation, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SJMadden
Texas
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is a gorgeous property. I really enjoyed the architecture. We ate at Prado and one of us had the halibut (excellent) and my spouse had grouper (ok). Service was very good to excellent. We had breakfast most mornings at Crave Cafe (kind of like a Starbucks) and the service was exceptionally friendly and efficient. Try their cupcakes (to die for). Thanks to a previous reviewer for that tip! Our room was on the main pool , Kabash. Our view was substantially blocked by a rather full tree. I was really disappointed in this upon our arrival. One room over was fine, however they could not move us. I would avoid this pool location if I came back. I would pick the Oasis pool or building 16 in the back facing the mountain. However, if you have mobility issues this location is the closest to everything and very convenient. Inside the rooms our spacious and the bathrooms great. In the end we were happy with the room due to the convenience factor as we come and go alot and it was close to parking and the restaurants. We went to the spa which is very unique and gorgeous. Our treatments were good (massage) and we enjoyed the spa pool after our treatments. Nice view from up there. Service was good too. My only complaint is I thought the "happy hour" massage was $95 but it turned out it was $125. The $95 was only for appts. before 9am and after 6pm. Ours was 10am. This sort of soured me a bit but the spa is beautiful so I wouldn't let this stop me, just wish they had informed me when I booked via phone before our visit. Overall, a nice hotel with great rooms. We noticed it seemed to be almost exclusively business travelers, conferences that sort of thing. Scottsdale is really nice and I hope to return someday.

Room Tip: Avoid Kabash pool if looking for adult stay and no mobility issues. Oasis pool is better for couple...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stjohnrocks
BDL
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I am a Hyatt loyalist and rarely venture outside the brand, but due to a conference at the Montelucia I stayed for 2 nights last month. The resort was apparently sold out both nights that I was there, however you would not have known it whatsoever. It was rare to pass anyone on the pathways, and I never saw more than 5 people at either pool, both of which are beautiful. The setting with Camelback as a backdrop just brings you to a different world. The various seating areas throughout the resort also make it a great place to relax. I am very high strung and like to get where I am going, but some of the seating areas looked so relaxing that I just had to take a seat and relax in a few of them for a couple of minutes. I also loved the morning and evenings on my patio.

The room itself was well appointed, but not large. Each room has its own balcony or patio with an oversized lounge chair and a table with two chairs. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower with a large vanity. I really liked the decor and the tile in the bathroom and entryway, it worked well with the setting. The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable. The biggest downside to the room was that the mini bar and room service were among the most expensive I have seen anywhere in the world. I don't care all that much because I rarely eat at a hotel, but it would bother me if I did. $9 for a Snickers, no joke. The other frustrating factor was that the thermostat only went down to 67, and it didn't feel that cool in the room. I wouldn't want to find out what its like during the summer.

The main reason I wouldn't give it a 5 star is the staff and the miscellaneous fees. I knew the hotel was booked, but I was moving from the Hyatt (where I had 4 PM checkout) and wanted to get settled in here so that I could enjoy the pool before my meeting. I called in the morning to ask what time the room would be ready, and she said it was guaranteed by 4 but that my room was assigned and the guests had checked out so it would be ready by 1 PM at the latest. Perfect! Shortly after 1 I checked out of the Hyatt and arrived here at 1:30 and was told my room would not be ready for several hours. It ended up being ready at 3:20, which was frustrating since I could have been enjoying the Hyatt pool (I wanted to shower before the meeting so going at the Montelucia while waiting for a room didn't have the same appeal). However, they did send some chocolate covered strawberries and an apology letter for the misinformation to the room. I didn't make a big deal whatsoever when my room wasn't ready, so it was a nice touch to know that they took note of the mistake and took the initiative to apologize.

One thing that was not such a nice surprise was the $6/day "maid tip" added to the bill at the end. You already charge for this, that, parking, etc...and now you want to add a tip to the maid, who didn't clean my room until 5 PM the previous night? I don't think so. I have never seen that before. They tried to say it was a part of my group rate, which even if it was seems counter intuitive to charge people, who ended up at your hotel because of a conference, a bogus fee like this. All of these people could be potential leisure guests in the future, so why make up fees that everyone knows you don't pass onto the maids. If they service 15+ rooms per day, am I to believe they get a $90+ tip per day plus their wage plus any tips guests leave in the room? Give me a break!

Overall I would stay here again if the price was right, but I wouldn't go out of my way like I do for the Hyatt Gainey Ranch. It was relaxing, but I think I will soon forget. I already booked a return trip to the area for later this spring, and did not book this hotel. I would not recommend for elderly or families with young children as the walk to the car, pools, rooms, restaurants, etc is far, and there are a few stairs to get from the rooms level to the lobby/restaurant/parking lot, and I couldn't find a way around them, although in all fairness even if there is the distance is the main factor.

Last factor is that the location is inferior to many of the other resorts. It is 3 miles to Scottsdale Rd where most of the restaurants, stores, and malls that most people would want to go to, when many of the resorts are just off this main rd. For popping out, this is worth considering.

3 Thank cxw44
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The Montelucia supplies an impeccable experience: beautiful rooms, beautiful setting, very attentive, friendly and service-oriented staff. The setting, in the shadow of Camelback Mountain, is spectacular. We often end up in very high end resorts on business trips; I can't think of one, offhand, that has done things better across the board than Montelucia.

3 Thank aorrdalca
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Aorrdalca - Thanks you for taking the time to post your review and the very kind words, we're thrilled you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards,
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK