“A special place for trekking”

La Leona Petrified Forest
Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 209.00*
and up
La Leona Petrified Forest Hiking Tour from El...
Ranked #6 of 59 things to do in El Calafate
Reviewed 9 February 2016

I went to the "Bosque Petrificado" about a week ago for some trekking. The place is not only a desertic area, but also a paleontological site where you can find dinosaurs' remains and different types of fossiles. Be sure to carry enough water, food, light clothes as well as sun block and a hat to protect yourself from the sun. Absolutely worth it!

All reviews
"clay"
"depression"
"moonscape"

Reviewed 26 January 2016

While Kayaking the Rio La Leona, we stopped halfway for a stroll into these badlands, the 'petrified forest'. It was raining and extremely slippery so we could only walk between the hills through the mud. Besides the unique flora it is quite an interesting experience and sight to walk through. Reminded me a bit of the 'hoodoos' I have seen in Drumheller & BANF, Canada. Lots of picture opportunities. Worth a visit, but try a dry day!

Reviewed 1 January 2016

I drove into the area. You turn off the main road opposite the La Leona Paradores and station, and drive about 10km on an unmade road that sometimes is easy to drive and sometimes fully of rocks that require care to avoid damaging tyres. There is also a hazardous looking bridge to cross before you get to the area where the gullies start. I walked about 3 km (in and back) in the rain. I was sliding around on the slippery muddy sections but I did see some of the petrified tree stones. As the rain got worse I gave up before I caused myself any serious harm. Good that my car had rubber mats because I could not avoid carrying a lot of mud back into the car. Avoid this on a rainy day!

1  Thank PhotoRAMBLER5
Reviewed 8 December 2015

It is a time travel, discovering hide treasures. Feel the spirit of Indiana Jones!! Unforgettable and highly recommended!!

1  Thank Ignacane
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 October 2015

When we went to Patagonia last year we went to El Calafate for the glacier and wanted to go to El Chalten to hike Mt Fitz Roy. Most traveller takes a mini tour bus to get to-for between these 2 towns but I came to know about Bosque Petrificado La Leona from TA and decided to book a day tour as it can be combined with our journey.

Please note that not many travel company which operates out of El Calafate do this tour so our B&B owner went to great length to track down this tour for us! The tour company is called Morresi Viajes and they will arrange a mini bus to take you to El Chalten after the tour finishes and returns you to La Leona.

The tour group was very small (only 5 people including myself and my BF), and our tour guide was a very knowledgeable gentleman who's well versed with the local geological history (I had to dig deep into my college Geology 101 class to keep up!).

The hike around the petrified forest was not hard at all but the most challenging aspect of the area is the wind (similar to El Chalten). Unlike the Fitz Roy hike where you can find relieve from the wind amongst the trees, in the petrified forest there are no trees so our guide had to find rock shelter for us so we can stay out of the wind and enjoy our lunch.

The tour includes a packed lunch but it's just a standard sandwich and a couple pieces of fruit, just to level set expectation.

Bosque Petrificado La Leona was a truly fascinating place and the desert like landscape was a huge contrast to Parque Nacional Los Glaciares, which we visited the day before. I would highly recommend visiting this place en route to El Chalten from El Calafate.

Note: I was told that Bosque Petrificado La Leona is actually a private property so I don't think it's possible to just rent a car and turn up. It's best to join a guided tour since you don't really want to get lost in that area.

10  Thank angelwink