“Too Much Time On The Bus, Expensive & Additional Costs”

Turismo La Posada Day Tours
Ranked #29 of 39 Tours in Salta
More attraction details
Owner description: Excursiones Diarias A Todos Los Destinos Del Norte Argentino.-
Reviewed 21 October 2015

My wife and I did a one day tour in September to three towns, Purmamarca, Tilcara and Humahuaca. It was expensive, over $100.00 CDN each and I don't think we received value for the investment.
It took 2 hours on the bus to get to the first stop of the tour.
In hindsight, as we re-examined the trip, we didn't really see that much. There was a huge market that was interesting to walk through but it didn't have anything really unique except pita bread being cooked over a charcoal fire; it was delicious.
We went to a very old fort but had to pay an additional entry fee to get in, I cannot remember how much it was, but at more than $100 for the bus ride, it should have included the entry fee. We did enjoy the short time we had at the fort, but we had a deadline to get back to the bus.
For lunch, you are captive to eat in an assembly line restaurant where all the bus tours seem to stop. Service was fast and efficient, food was marginal. price wasn't a bargain, but then it is in a touristy area.
The guide was excellent. She did her best to use English as well as Spanish and was very patient in answering questions. I really liked her.

Would I go on this trip again? Not likely, it would be just as economical to go with another couple ad rent a car.
Would I recommend this friends? No

1  Thank skierCalgary

Reviewed 4 August 2015

We took two tours with them. One to Huamauaca (that stops in Purmamarca and Tilcara) and one to Cafayete.
The vote of 3 is the average of the a 4 for the first and a 2 for the second. Both tours had a nice guide that explained a lot of stuff about history and nature.
While in the first tour we stopped pretty often (even because we visited three towns) to admire the great landscape, it happened few times in the second tour.

What I did not like at all are the two next points:
1) the guides brings you for lunch in restourants with which they have some agreements. Both times the menu cost was 100 pesos. So, be prepared to pay this price for lunch. Of course, no one told us about it while booking. In Huamauaca the restourant is not in the center and it is not easy to "escape" from the group. I suggest to do it in Cafayete, when the pretty busy and not so good restourant will give you the chance to do it.
2) both tours had some commercial visits. Of course no one told us about them while booking. In Huamauaca it was still ok cos it was a walk in the town with a local explaining some history that ended in an artigianal shop. The tour in Cafayete had two commercial stops. One it's a normal turistic shop the second is a wine factory. Of course all the time we wasted in these vistis could have been spent to enjoy the faboulous landscapes (that's the reason you get the tour).

To conclude, if you are two, probably the price is still worth it, if you are more, rent a car in order to be able to stop whenever you like for how long you like (of course get some informations on the spots that do not have to be missed along the way).

1  Thank Diego C
Reviewed 26 July 2015 via mobile

We took the 4 day pack so we really got to know these kind of trips. La Posada is not worse than other tour companies, but their service is very moderate.
The first day we had a guide who didn't speak English, while we were promised an English speaking guide. After a complaint they fixed this for the next days.
Second downside was that we always returned very late. One time a few hours later as promised.
La Posada may kiss their lucky stars that they have some great guides like Pablo and that the nature around Salta is stunning. We loved the Cafayate trip.
But you get what you pay for: this is a very commercial company so most of the time you hop off the bus for some pictures and move on. If you want to experience nature around Salta go for another company (like MTB Salta) and another type of trip.

3  Thank David H
Reviewed 14 April 2015

Booked with this lot and one called Tiamar whom I cant find here to share this rant ,. I agree with Hugo in that these lot have one thing in mind and that is to take you as quick as possible to their friends selling souvenirs and of course the lunchtime stops .
Both this lot and Tiamar travel turned up late , Tiamar was 2 hours late for gods sake , therefor the " 13 " hour tour was only 11 hours.
First stop was 5 mins from the hotles to " pick up refreshments for the journey " Funny that ALL the tour buses were three doing the same , I was going to buy chewing gum and cough sweets for 20 pesos , two blocks away I bought the same for 9 pesos so I refused out of principle .
We sped through all the beautiful scenery at an amazing speed stopping only at places where they flog " artisan " items , all which can be bought anywhere in the world .
Lunch was almost forced upon us as they had " booked in advance " for us i.e they had done us a favor , it was overpriced and we were told we had to leave the restaurant within 30 mins and lo and behold the convoy of tour buses arrived one after another , you can actually see all the drivers and guides smirkely scoffing for nothing in their own separate table the pigs.
Lunch break was 2 hours , I assume just to waste time and there were 2 " technical " stops in their own little friendly cafes
But if you can handle this the sights are amazing , the tour companies are a poor reflection on the beauty of Salta, its hotels and the people this place is amazing., the tour ops bad eggs.

1  Thank DrWho43
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 November 2014

We made a double booking for both humahuaca and cafayete. The first day we were going to humahuaca, and we were being picked up late. (7:50 instead of 7:00 to 7:30). When we showed our reservation to the reception of our hotel the lady started laughing: they always had problems with la posada tours, they were always late, while other tour operators seemed to be on time. In the bus I noticed that our guide didnt speak a single word of english, while we booked a tour with English guide. There was another guest in the bus who spoke english and spanish, so she tried to translate what was being said. Very nice of her, but it should have been the job of the guide. The next day we were picked up late again. This time with an english guide. He explained everything in spanish and english, but didnt put much effort into his task of being a guide. All in all I recommend to take a different tour operator in salta, it must be easy to find a better one.

2  Thank Kruimel2013