“Great smoked prime rib”

Piggly's at the Fair
Ranked #350 of 957 Restaurants in Mesa
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 3 October 2015 via mobile

Stopped here for a casual dinner. It just happened to be smoked prime rib night. This is not to be missed. 16oz smoked prime rib still able to get it rare. It was amazing. Great sides. Brisket was just as good. The cornbread to start the meal was tasty as well.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Piggly's at the Fair

Reviewed 29 September 2015

We should have known before we went in that this isn't a good place to eat. There was maybe 2 other cars in the lot. We decided to give it a chance and wish we wouldn't have. They did have an okay craft beer selection, which is always a plus for us. My husband ordered the BBQ chicken meal with curly fries and I had the smoked turkey with mac and cheese. My husband chicken was cubed chicken. It didn't look appetizing. His curly fries looked good but were soggy and greasy. He was not impressed. My smoked turkey was sliced. It had decent flavor, but was not hot enough. The mac and cheese, which the waitress told me when I ordered was "the best" was cold. I don't like complaining, but told the waitress that it was cold. She apologized and went to the kitchen. After a little while she brought me a new dish, which was hot, but now it seemed microwaved. The cheese was runny and everything was too hot to eat. By this time we were both over it, so we got our check and left.

The only thing keeping me from going with one star is the waitress. She was very nice and pleasant.

We will not be returning to Piggly's ever again.

Reviewed 21 September 2015 via mobile

Visited on a Saturday evening around 7:room and surprisingly there was no wait even though the surrounding restaraunt were busy. Smoked prime rib was the special, but we opted for a chopped brisket sandwich with a side of mac n' cheese and the BBQ sampler which came with pork, turkey, ribs, and choice of chopped chicken or brisket. A side of cornbread is served when you arrive; it's good, but not good enough to order as a side. The mac had toasted panko on top even though it was served in a Styrofoam cup. Chopped brisket was sauced well and mostly wet (marbeled), but a couple of Fry pieces were mixed in that were reminiscent of jerky. The turkey was very good and moist, but the cranberry aioli was odd and didn't do much for the meat. Overall my guy thought it was good and filling. Quick and attentive service. $42 all said in done. Odd that the place didn't smell like quintessential smoker even though they smoke everything on site.

Reviewed 3 May 2015

Our family went here for lunch.... great fair atmosphere with repurposed fair ride chairs. The BBQ was flavorful and the best I have had in a long time. They had great choices for kids, also. The waiter was upbeat and informative and very attentive..
I would recommend anyone who loves BBQ to give it a try! I will definitely go again.
You also can stop by and get To Go orders for home or work.

Reviewed 9 February 2015

On a whim, my wife said, "Lets eat there!".
In some ways I'm glad she did and in others I'm not. I'm use to BBQ joints where you get your money's worth of meat. I got my with the ribs, but our Pulled Pork sandwich was probably the worst example of "Piled High" (straight from the menu), I've ever seen or eaten. See photo. It didn't even have half the meat compared to every other BBQ joint I've been to. That includes eateries that didn't specialize in BBQ, but still served a Pulled Pork Sandwich. And it was served with no Slaw like the menu said. Had to ask. Half a Star right there. The meat was good, though a little dry, but nice flavor. I won't be coming back here for a sandwich.
I will be coming back for the ribs. We tried the "4 Bones" for $8.99 (steep). So was half a rack and a whole rack. The highest prices I've seen anywhere in the valley. They had lots of meat, though the smoke bark looked more artificially red than what you would get with properly smoked ribs. They did taste very good and I'll be eating more of those.
We also had the Fried Zucchini. Simply Wonderful. Huge strips with a nice lite sauce for dipping. So many they were my dinner the next night.
I'd say go try the Ribs and skip the sandwiches until they start putting on some real meat. Try some other items on the menu. We will on our next visit.