“Decent but needs an update”

Orquideas Hotel & Cabanas
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Puerto Iguazu
Reviewed 15 April 2017

The first room we were placed in had 1 million ants and a cockroach so we refused to stay. The staff was pretty helpful and moved us to a cabana on the premises which had none of the same issues. The decor was outdated and everything felt a little old although it was in a good location with a pool.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank drd023

Reviewed 4 April 2017

We checked into the hotel in the afternoon on the day before our Iguazu Falls tour. Check in was a breeze and we were surprised to see the room was so spacious. Room setting was a little worn out though.

The front desk helped us to get a taxi to go into town for an early dinner and we had a lovely time exploring the little town.

The next day was spent at Iguazu Falls and we decided to have dinner at the hotel after a long day. Food was good and we enjoyed a quiet evening at the restaurant.

On our check out day, our transport was coming for us only at 1.00 pm. As we planned to visit the nearby zoo, the hotel kindly extended our check out time to 12 noon. We had enough time to see the zoo and also freshen up before we left for the airport on our way back to Buenos Aires.

The hotel is surrounded with matured trees and lovely flowering plants. It is very relaxing to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2017

Great hotel for the price with a super pool and good restaurant
Great breakfast and nice rooms.
Close to the park and near to Puerto Iguazu by taxi or local bus stop.
Staff friendly and helpful
Wifi as stated was strongest in the lounge or lobby area.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Great hotel! Loved the pool during a hot and humid day! The room was nice, but wifi only worked nearer the lobby. This hotel was included in my EcoIguazu tour from Buenos Aires. After a day of touring the falls, the hotel let me return and use all the shower facilities and pool while I waited for my ride to the hotel for a later flight back to Buenos Aires! I could shower and change out of my wet clothes before boarding my plane, so nice! The restaurant was great, lots of choices, reasonable. I had a meal by the pool, another delivered to my room. Great service! I would recommend this hotel to anybody going to Iguazu!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank StorkRN1
Reviewed 10 March 2017

I live in the USA and am a very regular part time resident of BsAs. I'm a nurse that hosts surgical vacations in SA. I use a very reliable local travel agent for annual excursions around Argentina and have had my share of really wonderful travels in Argentina. Iguazu Falls was spectacular.

I stayed here for 4 nights / 5 days.

My experience at this hotel was very mixed.

To begin, the hotel is away from town but a bus stop for the local bus costing 13 Pesos is directly across the street. If you ride it to the last stop (30 minutes) you will be looking at Brazil and Paraguay. I loved being a part of the local scene- the drivers were always polite. My Castillano is terrible. You'll pass a commercial area with lots of restaurants and stores. Most are closed during the high heat of afternoon- but the place comes alive at sunset!

The hotel room I was in, 102, had a missing grill on the air conditioner thus creating a strong wind of cold air directly across my head, on the bed. When I asked for a solution the staff offered to move the bed away from its position- to the other wall, and thus making it impossible to watch TV. I complained to them that was not a good solution. The maid and a wonderful desk clerk, Gustavo, were then instructed by another desk agent to replace the grill with a part from an a/c in another room- which after several attempts did resolve the problem.

My stay was punctuated by some really excellent customer service by Max, Gustavo, Rodolfa and Marya who sincerely made my vacation a really enjoyable experience. Marya straightened out a schedule issue for my airport connection without a second thought. Very kind! I'm talking 5 star! Yes, the room was a little worn- but these folks were really stars in customer service! Thanks!!

And then- a nightmare! On my last night I payed my bill which included two excellent and inexpensive meals from the kitchen. (The potato Fritata and chicken napolitano were favorites!) I didn't have a return flight until much later on the following day. I inquired about a late check out and was told it's "12 pm or if we have availability you can pay 800 pesos for an extension up to 6PM" The agent stressed availability. I decided to stick with the 12pm standard checkout.

So- next morning I am using the lobby internet after a nice breakfast that finishes at 10 AM when a desk clerk, Marcelo, approaches me with paperwork in his hand admonishing me that I needed to have already left my room at 10am. There were many guests able to overhear him as he reprimanded me. Very awkward moment indeed- I felt his anger as though I was a vagabond.

Get the ---- out was the vibe!

I tell him that I was told to check out at 12 by the (really VERY kind and helpful) evening desk agent when he assumes an attitude of arrogance and anger -well- it goes downhill very fast. I packed up as fast as I could but he apparently still had the staff enter my room to clean it before I could get out of their way and leave.

I spoke to the manager, Zulma, later the same day just before leaving and this same clerk, Marcelo, now comes up behind her with a still very Angry and Hostile maybe even threatening glare at me that the manager was unable to - or simply refused to - address. The manager, Zulma, to her credit was apologizing for the miscommunication that was the root cause of the problem.

So, would I stay here again- no! But, if you are booked here- you'll be fine. The new guy Gustavo and Rodolfo who also work as servers were sincerely always looking to help you out- and always with a smile -

Rodolfo even found a gord / bombisha and some Yerba Mate one afternoon that made me feel like I was back in India staying at The Taj Palace in Mumbai again, with my own butler. Yep- 5 star service!

But- can any future guest explain to me how they have a breakfast scheduled until 10am and then also want you to be out of your room at 10am. Bring your luggage to breakfast???

Oh- and that's the news flash- Marcelo, it turns out was right. The checkout is at 10. LOCO!

Room Tip: Ground floor- no internet much of the time in my room. Use the lobby!