“Very Mixed Review- Horrible Exit!”

Orquideas Hotel & Cabanas
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Iguazu
Reviewed 10 March 2017

I live in the USA and am a very regular part time resident of BsAs. I'm a nurse that hosts surgical vacations in SA. I use a very reliable local travel agent for annual excursions around Argentina and have had my share of really wonderful travels in Argentina. Iguazu Falls was spectacular.

I stayed here for 4 nights / 5 days.

My experience at this hotel was very mixed.

To begin, the hotel is away from town but a bus stop for the local bus costing 13 Pesos is directly across the street. If you ride it to the last stop (30 minutes) you will be looking at Brazil and Paraguay. I loved being a part of the local scene- the drivers were always polite. My Castillano is terrible. You'll pass a commercial area with lots of restaurants and stores. Most are closed during the high heat of afternoon- but the place comes alive at sunset!

The hotel room I was in, 102, had a missing grill on the air conditioner thus creating a strong wind of cold air directly across my head, on the bed. When I asked for a solution the staff offered to move the bed away from its position- to the other wall, and thus making it impossible to watch TV. I complained to them that was not a good solution. The maid and a wonderful desk clerk, Gustavo, were then instructed by another desk agent to replace the grill with a part from an a/c in another room- which after several attempts did resolve the problem.

My stay was punctuated by some really excellent customer service by Max, Gustavo, Rodolfa and Marya who sincerely made my vacation a really enjoyable experience. Marya straightened out a schedule issue for my airport connection without a second thought. Very kind! I'm talking 5 star! Yes, the room was a little worn- but these folks were really stars in customer service! Thanks!!

And then- a nightmare! On my last night I payed my bill which included two excellent and inexpensive meals from the kitchen. (The potato Fritata and chicken napolitano were favorites!) I didn't have a return flight until much later on the following day. I inquired about a late check out and was told it's "12 pm or if we have availability you can pay 800 pesos for an extension up to 6PM" The agent stressed availability. I decided to stick with the 12pm standard checkout.

So- next morning I am using the lobby internet after a nice breakfast that finishes at 10 AM when a desk clerk, Marcelo, approaches me with paperwork in his hand admonishing me that I needed to have already left my room at 10am. There were many guests able to overhear him as he reprimanded me. Very awkward moment indeed- I felt his anger as though I was a vagabond.

Get the ---- out was the vibe!

I tell him that I was told to check out at 12 by the (really VERY kind and helpful) evening desk agent when he assumes an attitude of arrogance and anger -well- it goes downhill very fast. I packed up as fast as I could but he apparently still had the staff enter my room to clean it before I could get out of their way and leave.

I spoke to the manager, Zulma, later the same day just before leaving and this same clerk, Marcelo, now comes up behind her with a still very Angry and Hostile maybe even threatening glare at me that the manager was unable to - or simply refused to - address. The manager, Zulma, to her credit was apologizing for the miscommunication that was the root cause of the problem.

So, would I stay here again- no! But, if you are booked here- you'll be fine. The new guy Gustavo and Rodolfo who also work as servers were sincerely always looking to help you out- and always with a smile -

Rodolfo even found a gord / bombisha and some Yerba Mate one afternoon that made me feel like I was back in India staying at The Taj Palace in Mumbai again, with my own butler. Yep- 5 star service!

But- can any future guest explain to me how they have a breakfast scheduled until 10am and then also want you to be out of your room at 10am. Bring your luggage to breakfast???

Oh- and that's the news flash- Marcelo, it turns out was right. The checkout is at 10. LOCO!

Room Tip: Ground floor- no internet much of the time in my room. Use the lobby!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Geoinindia

Reviewed 2 December 2016

The hotel's location is convenient to both Puerto Iguazu and the Iguazu Falls National Park. The grounds are a lush, tropical-looking setting with a nice outdoor pool and spacious lobby.

Staff initially assigned us an upstairs room, but accommodated us with a ground floor room when we asked. (We were two senior couples travelling together and some of us expected accommodation of an elevator.)

The room was clean, large, and old. Mattress was thin and stiff. Lighting was marginal. The bathroom needed an update. Additionally, some hall noise could be heard inside. Air conditioner was quiet and provided great comfort after a hot days touring the falls.

The excellent complimentary breakfast accommodated choices of visitors from many areas, and the breakfast bar was kept stocked until closing time.

Our stay here was wrapped into a tour package, so I am unable to fully evaluate whether this hotel is good value.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lou N
Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

Room we stayed in was small. We could hear the people talking in the next room. The gym is small with old equipment.
The desk was not helpful. Had a sore throat and needed a glass of water to swallow a pill. Staff at desk indicated that the only water available is the bottled water in the fridge in our room.
After a 3 night stay we asked for a late check out - 12 noon instead of 10 am. We were told that it was possible if we paid an extra 915 pesos. Would not recommend this hotel if you looking for a pleasant stay.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2016

Stayed here as part of a trip to see the falls, and we feel we dropped lucky. Room delightful, large, comfy beds, very clean and staff superb. Pool a little cool, but we did visit early season and still managed a swim! Food choice not extensive, as only snack bar open, but breakfasts perfectly adequate. Perhaps the dining room is open in high season? A short bus/taxi ride gets you straight into the town centre and to the three frontiers viewing point, and it's very handy for getting to the Falls National Park (which by the way is absolutely amazing!!!)

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2016

Comfortable stay in a 2 bedroom cabana for a family of five. Master was large. Second bedroom had three single beds.

Breakfast buffet was standard with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fresh juices, eggs, sliced meats and cheeses and pastries. Liked the dulce du leche spread.

Pool was large and had a nice and reasonable snack menu. Had 5 sandwiches, fries, a fresh papaya smoothie, and dessert for under $40.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family