La Carmelita Hotel Rural
US$ 37
US$ 28
US$ 114
US$ 94
Hotel Nuevo Mundo(San Rafael)
US$ 98
US$ 87
US$ 71
Travelocity
Hotel San Rafael(San Rafael)
US$ 75
US$ 61
Suter Petit Hotel(San Rafael)
TripAdvisor
Cabanas del Sol(San Rafael)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2012

In case you don't want to read a long review, let me just say this: if you are considering staying at the La Carmelita, just do it. It's clean, comfortable, well-organized, friendly. Done.

If you'd like more information, here it is. My family stayed at the La Carmelita for three nights in late December, 2011. In researching the area I chose a couple places to stay because of their good reviews on TA. They both sounded great but the reason I chose La Carmelita was because of Nicole, the owner. She responded to every one of my emails promptly and with courtesy and humor. It was a very good decision.

For me, it was difficult to plan a trip to San Rafael because I don't speak Spanish and many of the local businesses aren't functioning online in English. Nicole offered to help me and offered a list of fun activities we could do with our boys, ages 12 and 13. We picked a few and Nicole set it all up for us. It all sounds simple enough; it wasn't. It was a ton of work for her. One company was closed the day we wanted to be there, one wanted a bank transfer as a deposit which was very difficult for me, etc., etc. But Nicole interceded for us and it all worked out. If you are interested in the activities, I'll include them at the end.

Now about the finca itself. In my opinion, the photos couldn't do it justice. What you can't see is the tranquility or how truly beautiful it is. There is a main house and two guest room buildings. Each of the rooms has a covered back and front porch with a view of the mountains in the distance and Nicole's orchard and vineyards. Late one afternoon, we sat on our porch and watched a storm come in. Amazingly beautiful. There are many amazing varieties of birds - burrowing owls, scissor tail swallows, some variety of acipitor that walks around on the paths and patrols the grounds. Breakfast is served on the porch of the main house, and was typically coffee, OJ, good warm bread, home made jams, ham, cheese and yogurt. Nicole will keep other drinks in the fridge for you.

A couple other notes: Manuela is a woman who worked at the finca while we were there. You couldn't ask for a nicer person to spend time with. In addition to everything else, she took us out to ride Nicole's horses one morning and let me tag along to feed the animals one afternoon. Gustavo is Nicole's partner and we really enjoyed spending time with him also.

A huge plus for me are the animals at the finca. The horses are great. They are real horses, not tired trail horses, and they each have a lot of personality. There are also geese, chickens and hilarious young llamas. But the stars of the show are the dogs. I think Nicole only has 3, but others seem to show up..

Here are activities and restaurants we loved:
Actives:
River rafting with SportStar rafting
Sand Dunes with Bruni Aventuas: place it in your budget, do it.
Horse riding at La Carmelita: loved it.
RESTAURANTS:
Francesco- fine dining
Algodon

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Donna947
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This is like visiting family. Quiet and comfortable setting with the most friendly staff.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We arrived at La Carmelita late at night, around 11PM, as part of a six day, first time visit, to the Mendoza wine area. We were drawn to San Rafael because we hoped to spend some time in the agricultural center of Argentina, away from the currently well beaten path. We split our time between San Rafael and Mendoza, three days each. We did not expect that our time in San Rafael would be a highlight of our time in this part of Argentina, but it was. This was definitely a “value adding” property and staff.

From our unorthodox late arrival to all aspects of touring Mendoza, Nicole and her staff worked tirelessly, and patiently, to make sure our questions were answered and our touring arrangements made. Our time under her guidance was crucial to the success of our trip and the hospitality she provided at La Carmelita was vital to giving our trip to Argentina a true high point.

Nicole has built a truly lovely and comfortable environment at La Carmelita and staffed it with thoughtful people. As I write this it reminds me that we miss her and her Finca and hope it won't be too long before we visit them again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Howard91
Reviewed 12 February 2011

This hotel is off the beaten track by a couple of kilometers but it is well worth travelling down the road to find this relaxing oasis in the countryside. It is clean and friendly with a nice pool and country views. The staff are really friendly and can arrange for Jose to come onsite to provide a wonderful massage for you. Nicole the owner is very warm and friendly and they will prepare meals for you in the evening with advance notice. We had a wonderful relaxing stay and will definitely stay here again if we are in the area.
Thanks Nicole
Jon and Gill Winnipeg Canada

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2011

My husband and I spent a few nights here on our honeymoon, travelling through the Wine Country of Argentina. I can't even remember how we found this hotel, but it turned out to be an excellent choice. Nicole the owner was incredibly helpful and kind, as was Elian, who was there for the season.

The rooms were very simple, clean, attractively decorated with excellent views towards the field of horses at the back and the Andes in the distance. It was very tranquil and relaxing and we had a really lovely time hanging out reading, sunbathing, swimming, as well as using the hotel as a base from where we could go for cycle rides and visit wineries. I would definitely recommend this as somewhere friendly and attractive to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple