See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 14 January 2015

We found a room for the four of us... two kids -twin beds, us-double bed. It was tight but amageable. All hotels that we've stayed in in Argentina seem to have a bidet in the bathroom which we see as a waste of space as it takes up as much room in the bathroom as the toilet. Who uses a bidet nowadays? The hotel is old and yes, in need of renovation. Well located. The breakfast was why We would rate it more than a three. It was good value for the price, clean and had everything we needed.

Date of stay: January 2015
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was booked into hotel sol andino by an agency and after experiencing good hotels in Peru in what I presume is the same chain, I was subsequently surprised to read the mixed reviews in Tripadvisor. To summmarize: all the negative reviews are quite believable, even though I experienced nothing quite so bad; all the positive (4 star) reviews are totally implausible!

The hotel is situated some 15-20 minutes from the centre in a lively area (loud traffic) with plently of shops and down-market eateries. Some of the staff could speak a little English, and seemed friendly and helpfull – there was no problem storing my luggage. Breakfast was, by Argentine standards, rather good – the best thing about the hotel.

My room was small and spartanic: there was a bed, a functioning TV, weak WiFi internet connections, a wardrobe and a bathroom with WC, shower and bidet and soap, shampoo and toilet rolls. And the lights worked.....but that was it. The sheets and towels appeared to be clean but were old and tatty. The window opened onto in internal courtyard so there was fresh air without the direct traffic noise.

The shower was badly designed and sprayed out onto the bathroom floor – which meant it was cleaned regularly – I had to use the towels to mop up each time I used the shower.. The hotel had tiles everywhere, which is far better than the filthy carpets with which one is often confronted, even in „good“ hotels. That said, the trail of dirty footprints I created when walking through the room with wet flip-flops (due to the shower) said everything about cleanliness.standards.

I have experienced far worse hotels in Argentina, but there is one aspect that guarantees its negative rating: there is just one lift with a maximum capacity of 2 persons serving a six-floor hotel. When groups arrived with luggage they faced up to a 20 minute wait for the lift.

In conclusion, this is not a hotel that can be rcommended even by Argentine standards, never mind international standards.

Room tip: Choose a different hotel
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The location of this hotel wasn't too bad.
We booked a double room "con cama matrimonial" they showed us to a room with four tiny beds in a small room it wasn't dirty or too bad so we thought we'd just put up with it for a night. After settling in we noticed a lot of noise coming from the adjoining room. Then we noticed the room had a flimsy door with a pretty crummy easy to force lock between us and the next room and the wi if didn't work at all. So we asked to move and we were put on the top floor in a room with windows that would not shut properly and no wi fi either.
But still not dirty and it was a decent size.
Breakfast consisted of stale bread, stale pastries and was just below average. I got some coffee and went to get a slice of bread to toast and it had a nice juicy cockroach on it yum!
The staff were generally unhelpful and the rooms were all noisy.
I will book else where next time in Mendoza.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

In short, don’t go to this hotel…. we moved from hotel at 2 AM… the hotel is incredible dirty, old and not what you see in Expedia specification.

Details:
1) Expedia said was Three Star Hotel; Clerk confirmed to us that is two star.
2) The room smelled like poison to kill cockroaches; apparently they tried to kill a few minutes before we arrived.
3) We could hear a person snoring from another room from ours…
4) We booked a room for three adults; we found 4 little beds for kids or for midgets.. who knows…
5) The beds was really dirtiest (we have photos if you want to have a look)
6) The bulb in the bathroom was not working, the clerk told us that he cannot fix it until next day (and my wife wanted to have a shower); also told us that did not have any other room.
7) We moved to ModHotels (www.the-mod.com), for our surprise we found a four star hotel for 20 dollars more expensive than this one; really good hotel, trained staff, really good breakfast, cleanness is everywhere, pool, nice staff. And did their best to receive us at that time.
8) Refund story:
a. Expedia couldn’t talk with Sol andino staff because they did not found one that can speak English.
b. I needed to personally talk with Sol Andino Reservation Manager; she refused all my claims. This person never tried to fix the problem but was very clear saying that they wont refund any money to me.
c. Later and after hours, I talked with Expedia Agent. They figured out to get refund for 75% of the total amount.
d. I spent an entire morning to get this refund deal (an entire morning of 4 days vacation… was a mess).

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Jorgelut
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We were booked to this hotel in a tour. It is 6-7 blocks away from the main plaza. The staff at the reception are all friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet offered was nice. It has different kinds of bread, ham, cheese, but no eggs were provided. We stayed here for three nights. The property is old, only one small lift which was probably made in the 30-40's, but still functioning well. The air conditioning is not always working as the same at home. It takes hours to cool down the room in a hot days like 35c yesterday. The wifi at the lobby is very good, though it would be better if wifi is accessible in the room. No need to buy water here. The water dispenser at the Cafe on the ground floor provides water refill in my own bottle during day times.

Date of stay: November 2013