“Can't type enough!”
Review of Kayak the Colorado

Kayak the Colorado
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We have a large selection of kayaks canoes fishing boats and stand up paddle boards. We also do guided fishing trips and offer a Bach haul service to the dam with kayaks,canoes,paddle boards and some other small vessels.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Joe and his wife are amazing! Despite not having a plan nor advanced reservations, the two of them set us up for the best day of our road trip thus far. The rental kayaks and stand up boards are affordable and in great condition and the haul back system sealed the deal. Joe shuttles you up the river and drops you just below the Glen Canyon Damn (or half way if you're not up for the full 14 miles).
We rented a kayak and a SUP with the thought of switching off between my boyfriend and I. Both of us are experienced paddlers, however, the board was too narrow for him. By no means did that have any affect on our day. The water is flat, the red canyon walls are stunning and the wildlife abundant. There was some boat traffic, but not terrible. It took us 7 hours including two snack breaks, one short walk, one one hour ish hike and lots of floating. Absolutely a must do! We can't thank Joe, Jennifer and Kayak The Colorado enough, Mahalo Nui!

j242424, Owner at Kayak the Colorado, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Thank you guys for your review we are so glad you guys had a great time hope to see you again Thanks Joe Hanley owner

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"petroglyphs"
"damn"

Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

We’re heading to kayak the Canyon for the third year in a row in March, 2018. We will use Kayak the Colorado for the backhaul as they are now the designated back haul company. We had not used them prior. (We bring our own kayaks but they are available for rent from them.). It’s such an easy, stunning trip. We stay at the lodge at Lee’s Ferry the night prior. Three 70 something women take 2 simple tents, sleeping bags, one stove, some MRE’s, several peanut butter and jelly Sandwiches, a few chocolate chip cookies. We sit under the stars, (last year the full moon), and laugh and just soak up the peace. We take two days, one night to go from the drop off at the Glen Canyon Dam to Lee’s Ferry. We choose to make this a simple trip, others choose to make it much more complicated. I would recommend this easy kayak (you’re going downstream with the current!) to just anyone. Everyone!! My rating is based on the trip, not the company.

1  Thank Jane W

Thank you for your review you lady's where great I hope you guys use us next trip glad you had great time on your trip Thanks Joe hanley

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

We booked a trip 3 months ago to kayak the river. Had reservations for 8 a.m. When we arrived, no clear marking outside to which building is the business. Looked like an old abandoned hotel, peeked in a few windows. Nothing!!! Finally went across the street to ask a gentleman in the gift shop lobby at Marble Canyon Lodge. He was not very pleasant or helpful. I interrupted his smoke break. He just said, the business is over there. My husband was like, what have you got us into. So we went back across the street to try again noticed a trailer behind the old hotel went and knocked on the door still no answer. Only greeted by a dog. Tried to call no answer!!! Went back over to the lodge, went in restaurant this time spoke with a very nice lady, told her my problem. She said, they should be there. She confirmed for me the owners lived in the trailer. So I went back, try one more time. My husband was ready to leave. I said we need to at least speak with these people so we don't get charged for the trip. Went back again noticed a car with the business number on it, so tried this one. Finally!!! Someone answers she came outside in her pajamas walked up to our car window and says and I quote " we started to call you this morning, we can't get our truck started to hall the boat down to the river. Think the battery is dead." At this point we was skeptical about this place and I said okay that's fine, you will cancel out transaction I hope. She said yes no problem. She seemed like a nice lady, but this is not how you do business! How hard is it to jump a car off?

1  Thank Lagiles08

Once again we do apologize for having to cancel your trip we know that people come from long distances to have a great time on their trip but sometimes things are just out of are hands it was about a 1.000.00 dallors more than just jumping a battery as far as not having a sign out front we do run the business out of are house which is on marble canyon property and they don't allow us to put them up we do try and let everyone know the directions it's a town of 5 people so theirs not a lot of roads and yes we are a very small business but we have also put thousands of people on the river again we do apologize for cancelling your trip Thanks Joe Hanley owner.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Amazing Trip with options for everyone.
My wife and I reserved two rental Standup Paddleboards, and a backhaul upstream in late Sept. 2017. Jennifer is in charge of arranging and she knows everything that you need to know in order to rent a SUP, a Kayak. a canoe, Motorboat or a fishing guide. her partner, Joe is the guide and boatman and can help with a camping site on the river too. . Although they are a small operation in a tiny village, this team is everything you need to have a trip of a lifetime.
The equipment was brand new, the service was first class. They were on time and delivered everything expected and more. We SUP'd from the damn halfway back to a predetermined campsite where Joe had dropped our gear, camped and went the rest of the way downstream the next morning. This area is in the middle of nowhere and the clarity of the water, the beauty of the canyon, the stars, and the scenery is unbelievable. Go. You will remember this place forever.

1  Thank Tom W
j242424, Owner at Kayak the Colorado, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Thank you for booking your trip with us glad you had a great time Thanks Joe hanley

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Our family of four chose to rent the 16' skiff from CTK. The skiff was in great shape, Joe went over all the details of how to operate the boat and was very thorough. He even allowed us to use his hitch without charge. Very nice of them. The drive to Lees Ferry launch was short without much of a grade, easy enough for our Toyota Highlander. Once on the river the boat was perfect for our needs. We crusied up river checking out each of the primitive campsites. The boat was fast enough to get us up river quickly without going so fast that I was concerned. The boat held all our camping gear but did burn fuel quickly with such a heavy load. A third gas can would have put my mind more at ease the second day as we used the first tank the first part of the first day. We made sure to dump all our gear off before we continued cruising to save fuel and we also drifted a bit using the oars provided to navigate. Anytime it looked like we might beach it I just fired up the engine and put us back on course. We had a lovely night in the canyon. Can't say enough about how beautiful and peaceful it was. we woke up the next day packed up and returned down river. I was a little nervous getting the boat on the trailer but with the help from my family we were able to get the boat on the trailer perfectly. All in all one of the most memorable trips of our life and we have been to some amazing places. Joe was very helpful, the price is fair, the gear is top notch; do it! Justin Wright

j242424, Owner at Kayak the Colorado, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thank you guys for planning your Colorado river experience with us at kayak the Colorado glad you had a great time