“Simple, unpretentious local experience with good company and conversation”

El Preferido de Palermo
Ranked #595 of 5,581 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Cuisines: Argentinian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Palermo
Reviewed 25 December 2011

El Preferendo is both a restaurant for locals and an old style Italian grocer. At night they set up more stools and tables in the grocery area. Popular with locals because it is about food to enjoy, some wine conversation and, maybe, a bit of music.

Reviewed 22 October 2011

I don't normally like writing bad reviews - but I guess it was just our experience and that's all I can share.
We weren't overwhelmed with this place. We prob got there too early to be any kind of atmosphere but even still in the restaurant part you wouldn't expect bright white lights with the soccer (futbol) on the tv in the corner. A few ordering issues (our own fault being ordering mistakes on our part with language issues) meant that we prob didn't experience the best food that El Preferido had to offer. But even what we did have was just ok - it was nothing to write home about.

Sorry! It was recommended to us by our friends who called it their favorite - maybe they meant the cafe part? But to us that looked like sitting in a corner shop?

Reviewed 15 July 2011

When I was a child, I used to walk over this place day after day on my way to th school. It was a small grocery store with the BEST "jamon Serrano" in the world and a common restaurant on the side.
I went last night and the small grocery store became a simple restaurant and the next door restaurant is a better one. Nothing fancy, same furniture and everything as before with the one of the best food, prepared by the wife's owner and her team.
The food is Spanish and traditional Argentinian food, and everything is just the best.
Try the calamari rice, excellent, milanesa napolitana con papas marvelous, "riñones en salsa de Jerez" OMG, "rabas" one of the best and the mussels ("mejillones") wonderful.
It is a please you must go. Of course, eat some "jamon Serrano" under my name! Just to let you know, one of my grandfather's brother ONLY eat that Jam. He was from Spain.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

March 17, 2011
This is a very friendly place serving top-notch food at reasonable prices. It is recommended in restaurant guides, but we were probably the only tourist diners that night, and it was packed.
Their menu is enhanced with accompanying pictures. For appetizers we ate fried sardines and marinated tongue. I shared an enormous pan of seafood paella. It was excellent and exactly as I hoped for. Followed by wine and then the rice pudding, we were satiated.
We were about to depart, when the restaurant gave a complimentary split of Norton sparkling wine. We were drinking this when an attractive couple sang and played the guitar for tips.
We paid about US$30 pp. and had a great time.

Reviewed 26 February 2011

I was torn between giving El Preferido 2 or 3 stars for the food. The reason I went for three was because in comparison to other restaurants it does try and use flavours of spain (herbs and spices). The main problem for me was that the paella we ordered had seafood which was probably out of a can. The rice and the sauce in the paella was very tasty however. We had fried whitebait as a starter which were good.

Others in our party ordered a veal dish and some steak which were both overcooked and underseasoned.

I must add that we went to the restaurant side of El Preferido because the other side with small high tables and stools generally caters for two people per table.

I hope others have a better experience.

1  Thank Eat1Drink2Travel3