“Interesting version of Expensive Japanese BUT not for the solo diner”
Review of Osaka

Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Palermo
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

Normally a sushi bar is a great place for a Solo diner to sit. Lots to watch, interaction with the sushi chef, fresh fish in the chiller right in front of you, but not at Osaka. Although I went early to avid the crush on a weekend night, and made a reservation in advance, the hostess sat me in a very poor location on the bar where I was constantly jostled by the wait staff. I asked to be moved over one seat, but was told (and I speak Spanish) that it was reserved for parties of two or more. I was not the only Solo at the bar, there was another man around the corner from me whom I observed as the evening progressed.

First off, you cannot order from the sushi chef, you have a waiter who takes all your orders and brings you everything, but is also responsible for table in that section so service for a SOLO at the bar is very slow. He made recommendations of the most expensive things on the menu and even though I’m from Hawai‘i and very familiar with Japanese food, he pushed me toward his suggestions. I could not be sure if it was a Macho thing or just working toward a large bill. The person who was helpful and kind was the bus girl who told me it was her first day and hoped her service was OK. She was terrific. In any case I had three appetizer dishes and was still hungry so ordered two nigeri - was still hungry, but asked for the bill. Including “house” small saki my bill was over $200 US. When he presented the check. He said, you know the tip is not included.” And when he picked up my credit card he said it again. As I left I walked over to give the bus girl a tip of appreciation and the waiter actually stepped in front of her with a big smile and his hand out. I smiled and moved around him to the woman who had given me such good service. I hope, given that it was her first day that he did not act against her.

I feel there must be a Japanese restaurant in BA with good fresh fish and service but it’s not Osaka. Friends told me later that its more a place to be seen . . .

Reviewed 22 October 2017

We had a fabulous meal at Osaka in Palermo--Japanese/Peruvian fusion. If you eat fish, this is an excellent spot. The music wasn't great, but the food was unusual and very tasty. The fish,the sauces and the rice were all flavored with interesting spices, and the presentation was delightful.

As for price--I find little difference between the price of a mediocre meal and a great one in Argentina. This is a great one and well worth it.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

The food is very good and creative. More crative than a tradicional Japonese food restaurante, because it is a fusion of Japanese food with Peruvian. The service is attentive but cracks in recommending always the most expensive products in the house.

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

I came alone and simply asked the waiter to have the chef create an omakase meal for one (as it wasn't on the menu). He came back with the price of 1500 (~90$), which is very high for BsAs, but I didn't mind as I expected it to be high quality and filling. He brought me the first plate, which was 6 pieces of fusion nigiri, and 8 pieces of basic shashimi. Everything was pretty good, though nothing truly spectacular - I was looking forward to the following courses, nonetheless. After taking the plate away, he asked me if I wanted anything else....one simple plate. That was it. 90$. In the ritziest Hong Kong sushi restaurant I've paid less for considerably more. Food was fine, but a total ripoff. Avoid unless you don't mind spending 200$/per person on a slightly above average meal.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Go here if you've got infinite funds/on expenses and you're ok with eating average food.

Pros:
1. Lovely decor
2. Great cocktails. The White Horse is excellent.

Cons:
1. High prices that are not really justified given the average quality of the food and rather small portions.
2. Food is so-so to be honest with a few odd flavours that do not work - e.g. Parmesan covered scallops on a maki roll.
3. Service was poor for such a place. Was practically shoved out the door.

All in all, I'd avoid unless you're going for just the cocktails.