“They don't do what you ask or expect - they do more”

Kempinski Hotel The Dome
Ranked #52 of 87 Hotels in Belek
Brussels, Belgium
“They don't do what you ask or expect - they do more”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We usually don't write reviews of the hotels we visit, but this hotel surprised us at so many levels we simply had to chip in, too.

We were pleasantly surprised even before we set foot on the hotel. Our daughter loves a certain brand of baby food, and the response from the hotel staff to my query whether they stock the exact brand of baby food or not was to ask me how many bottles they should prepare for when we get there. Once we got to our room, the baby food we had asked for was already waiting for us.

Next, my mother-in-law had her birthday right around the time we were there. I had asked them to put a nice little massage voucher in her room as a surprise. Much to my surprise, not only was the voucher there, but so was a proper birthday cake!

The pool area is fantastic - if you're an adult. For babies, however, it was a bit too cold. I spoke to the spa manager and without hesitation she told me we could use the Thalasso pool area (32 C). The pool is filled with sea water, of course.

I read in one of the earlier reviews that the staff is friendly and that they must have been schooled in Switzerland. I can subscribe to that 100 %. We travel quite a lot and stay in hotels in Germany, France, Luxembourg and although the staff is always friendly, they can't compare to the people here. The warmth of their smiles as our little one whizzed by them was just unforgettable. Nothing was ever a problem - and as parents of a 10-month-old, we know we sometimes have out-of-the-ordinary requests.

All this comes on top of the usual pluses that everyone else mentions in their reviews: the hotel is big and quiet, it's a stone's throw from several golf courses, the spa area is fantastic (and the massages are outstanding), and the kitchen cooks some of the best food I've had in a hotel.

If you're looking for a comfortable, up-scale getaway - away from the masses - this is definitely the place to go.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DoesNotExist
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 December 2011

A very luxurious property, and a great place for a family vacation in summer to switch off...
We were up-graded to a two-bedroom villa which i highly recommend, they provide a club car and each villa has a private pool. Food quality and variety is very rich in the daily buffet.
The resort is of a very high standard in-terms of cleanliness, in rooms, pools, restaurants and the spa. They have a very well equipped spa and the perfect Turkish bath.
Staff were very helpful and personalised service.
The hotel has a lack of enough entertainment during the evening which makes it boring and very limited kids activities.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SH082
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I've booked the hotel for 10 days off to Turkey in October. After the reservation, I contacted the hotel by mail, asking for a airport transfer and special food for my little child. I found a nice and helpful girl, who organized everything for me. The communication was simple, although the answers were always in delay (after two days). The airport transfer was very expensive, but it was organized with a big car, with infant seat and all the needed comfort.

Arriving at the hotel, you are hit by the structure, nice and warm, somehow Moorish style, and the employers show you the hotel services with a quick tour while they take you to your room. Rooms are wide, maybe not the biggest I’ve been, but with all the comfort you may expect. A buffet restaurant is available all the evening, while you can have lunch near the beach; one of the three ‘a-la-carte’ restaurant is always available for dinner (Italian-asian-turkish style).
SPA is lovely, well kept, high standard services.. expensive, but you’ll be happy with what you get.
You have 5 swimming pool: the biggest one, outside pool, cool, 18° in October; a smaller child outside pool (cool as well), two inside pool, warmed water 24°, and one inside pool with hot salt water 30°, inside the SPA, used for thalassotherapy.

Beach is right in front of the hotel, with a lot of space and some Pagodas to relax in a cosy atmosphere.

Now as always, my good-bad-ugly

THE GOOD
Service: we asked for baby meal, and they prepare us the food everyday, following our indication. Food was served where we decided to eat, and it was prepared as asked. Other “snacks” for the child were available everywhere upon request (meshed fruit, milk, etc).
Food: the choice/quality of food was middle/high. Every evening you have different food types (Turkish, Asian, BBQ, Mediterranean, etc.), but not limited to this type (es: you can always find grilled steaks or fish), and you can choose within 6 /7 hot dishes: it is easy to find what you like within all these options.
Golf: definitely the best hotel option for golfers. Shuttle bus to/from their two Courses, special rates, booking service, a golf room for clubs.. Everything was perfect.

THE BAD
Communication: it is not easy to make you understood by hotel workers. Beside Turkish, they speak German, Russian and just as fourth language English. It means that if you speak just English, you may face problem with your requests. We had to use German, for example, many times during our holidays, mainly with dinner waiters. Sometime this can be frustrating.
Breakfast: if you love international breakfast, it is the place for you (wow, I’m still thinking about the fresh cooked bacon and eggs); but if you prefer continental food, you may be disappointed by the low choice you have (just a few pastries, small croissants, not high quality). It can be a lot better.
Food prices: everything is overpriced! The dinner buffet price is something you will not expect, and even if you choose a restaurant, you’ll pay more than 50 € with just a starter, a main dish and a glass of wine. 4 € for an espresso, 8 € for a tea. You can pay more in extras than for B&B accommodation.

THE UGLY
Clean: everything is shining, room maids works twice a day.. but I found some toys under the bed when I left, during the final checking in the room. Toys left from an old customer. It means nobody folded to clear under the bed.
Beach service: ok, we were not in pick season (October), and sea water was not so warm; but we were not expecting so few lawn chairs and beach umbrellas installed, and a not-clean beach, full of debris from night high tide. I would have expected more care to keep an high quality service also on the beach.
Night life: if you are going to stay in the hotel, play golf, go to the SPA and beach, relax, this is the place for you. Do not look for night life, for parties: the hotel is in the middle of golf courses, with other 20 hotels.. if you want night life, you have to travel to Antalya every night.. or choose another hotel there!

Probably this hotel will be placed in second position in my Best Hotel list. The quality of the service, and the ratio quality/price (if you don’t pay the full rack rate) is very interesting. Made for international customers, this hotel will give you what you expect from an high standard structure. A real paradise for golfers (2 property courses - start with Pasha, shorter and easier, finish with the Sultan, only PGA Course in Turkey), do not miss this hotel if you are going to take some days off to play golf there.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank Skiman
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We came to this hotel just for a one night stop-over, but loved it so much that stayed for longer.

The hotel is designed in multiple courtyards covered with gorgeously designed stained glass domes. Extensive swimming pools (inside and outside), very nice steam room, two saunas (dark and mood lighting), hammam, and of course full-blown spa. Very spacious room with ultra-comfortable bed, choice of pillows, sat TV, huge marble bathroom with separate shower and bath - all designed in light wood with Ottoman pattern and silver and gold accents. Turkish and classy.

Usually Turkish staff in hotels and restaurants is relaxed and casual. Here it looks like staff was trained in Switzerland - everyone works impecably, efficiently, without disturbing your stay. It was great to relax without having to endure stares and whereyoufroms.

The buffet restaurant has a big spread and new theme every night, and some a la carte restaurants. Chefs put a Turkish twist on most food and with some it works better than with other. There are several bars and the one close to reception has live music every night.

The beach is serviced, has cabanas, cocktail service, and very warm sea.

There was nothing wrong with this hotel that caught our eye (except maybe slight water damage on the wall dividing the indoor pool from outdoor one, but that's nothing). I would heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2011

When I write such a harsh review, I have to follow it up with why so I apologize for the lengthy description of our visit for 2 nights in late September. Management at the Kempinski Dome needs to look at and address the limited staff at their hotel and the lack of training of the existing staff. Kempinski Hotels wants to compete in a luxury 5 Star category but the service at this hotel has been the worst that we have experienced in some time. Very, very poor and often no service at all at this hotel.

We arrived at the hotel and we both thought it odd that there was absolutely no one when we pulled up under the portico with our car. There were vehicles left and no bellman to assist newly arriving guests or to park the cars. Bells galore should have been going off when we saw this. We arrived at 4:45 pm and would discover our room was not ready. We waited 45 minutes from the time we entered the hotel until we were given a room. Our room not ready at this time of day was not acceptable, and at no time were we offered another room or upgrade. Next problem was we were escorted to our room and after the grand tour we closed the door and waited and waited for our luggage. I found it unbelievable that our luggage did not arrive promptly after the considerable wait and inconvenience that we were caused. One would think that someone would have been hustling to send our luggage up to our room. I had to phone reception and it arrived shortly after.

A real disappointment is that there were only two evening restaurants to choose from. An ala carte restaurant which is a theme restaurant changed nightly & the second choice a buffet. We would have chosen the ala carte had there been any personnel at the restaurant or the appearance of someone cooking in the kitchen. We returned to reception and clarified that the restaurant was open and she said yes and walked us back to the restaurant. With her arrival one waiter appeared and we were told tonight's theme was Turkish and looking at the menu it was pricy. Having just had 3 weeks of Turkish food we had hoped for more from the Kempinski. There was one lonely couple dining in the far corner of the terrace - confidence was not instilled in having dinner at this restaurant. We chose the buffet as it was getting late (after 8:00) and there appeared to be no other options in the vicinity of the hotel. Service was absolutely terrible. We were seated and then the waiter proceeded to ignore servicing our table. We had to flag him to ask to order our wine; he then poured the wine once after it was uncorked, otherwise we poured our own wine; when we returned from the buffet our plates were not cleared so not once but twice, we cleared our own plates moving them to an empty table; the waiter never came to the table on his own for the entire evening other than to deliver menus when we sat down, we had to flag and ask for everything.

Finally the absolute worst customer service experience of the hotel was checking out. We were leaving for the airport and I phoned down 5 minutes before we left our room (wheeling our own luggage) requesting our car so it would be ready and pulled under the portico to load while I checked out. This is the service that one receives and expects at a luxury hotel but don't expect this service at the Kempinski Dome. As we walked to reception we could see our car was not brought around. At the reception desk there was a man looking after another couple and a young lady. I told her I was checking out and immediately indicated that I had phoned for our car and it was not outside. She said it would be coming. My husband took the luggage out to the portico and left it to return to say the car was not on its way. Meanwhile I asked her if I can check out as we need to get going. She said she had to wait for her colleague?? I was getting frustrated and did not understand why I couldn't be checked out and why our car was not brought around. She told me the car would be brought once I checked out and I said no that was not acceptable as my husband wanted to have the car loaded so that when I walked out the door, we could dash to the airport. It then became obvious that this young lady working at reception did not know "how to" check out a guest. Why is she working at reception when they don't have enough staff and she isn't trained?? We had to wait for her colleague to finish with the other guest to check us out. The hotel is so short staffed that there was only one fellow retrieving luggage from rooms in addition to retrieving guest vehicles (he had four rooms he was collecting luggage from). Checking out was ridiculous and having to wait for someone who knew how to check out a guest was inexcusable. I asked for the keys to our car and the location and she was reluctant to give me our keys. After realizing that I was becoming frustrated with the service or lack of she gave my husband the keys and he ended up running all over the property to the various parking lots to retrieve our own car to make it to the airport. Terrible, terrible service and I would not recommend this hotel.

The hotel property is very nice. Our room and bathroom were spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. Unfortunately when service is next to nonexistent, it doesn't matter how nice the room, and how comfortable the bed. It's a beautiful property but it is so badly managed that if I'm so lucky to return to Turkey and specifically Belek, I won't be choosing the Kempinski.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple