“Nice place; works especially well if you have a rental car”

Cotswold Guest House
Ranked #2 of 21 Milnerton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I should preface all this by saying that I booked the Lagoon Lodge section, which is across the street from Cotswold House. It's all the same property as listed in the databases (I booked via hotels.com), but if you stay in Lagoon Lodge (really another large house and walled compound), you'll likely spend all your time in that section, as it's self-contained. I can only assume the other unit across the street has similar standards.

Finding the place was the hardest challenge. My flight all the way from Amsterdam landed at 10:35 p.m. and, after a hassle with Avis, off I sped in the rental car, driving on a strange side of the road in not only a strange country but a strange continent. On Google Maps it looked like the place was on the main road (R27, Marine Drive), but this was far from the case. There was no signage there and all the walled compounds backed up to the road; to find the place you had to navigate what seemed like a maze of residential roads from the other, eastern side of Marine Road.

Being male, asking directions was out of the question, and it didn't seem like a great idea late at night in an obviously security-conscious area anyway. So I finally found it by "brute force" (driving every inch of every road) after about 25 minutes. The person answering the buzzer at Cotswold House seamlessly transferred me over to Lagoon Lodge, and they opened the gate and showed me the room.

It was a basic sort of room, with a sliding door and facing the pool. Maybe motel-sized, bathroom in back, reminiscent of places in Hawaii that were family run and had neither heat nor air-con. I had what looked like a tower fan but thankfully didn't need it, as climate was ideal.

You get a whole set of keys, including to the room safe (very basic and low-tech), sliding door and sliding grate for the door, plus a remote for the gate and keys that I'd assume let you into common areas of the house.

I didn't make too many demands of facilities. It was a little chilly to swim, even though the pool was carefully cleaned. Breakfast was worth getting up for, as you got a European-style mini buffet (cereal, milk, yogurt, cheese, toast, fruit salad) plus an egg-bacon-mushroom plate to order. It passed the "tank-up test" (i.e. good enough to go light on lunch).

Less stellar was the Internet from the house terminal, which was a bit poky but got the job done. The TV in the room was a flat-screen of maybe 20 inches or so and hooked to satellite, though maybe I hit a bad week because channel selections were getting rejected and maybe a quarter of them worked. Which wasn't a huge deal (I wasn't there to watch TV, though seeing more of the soccer at night might be good), but it did remind me it's a guesthouse (albeit a nice one) and not the Hilton. You do get daily maid service, though.

I'd say generally you're better off here with a rental car, especially since the place has 8 numbered parking spaces within the gated area (making it especially excellent for that). There's also a busway that runs along Marine Drive and connects to the citywide system, but Milnerton is a suburb and not the most centrally located choice for most Cape Town attractions (save for the weekend Milnerton Flea Market, along the R27 closer toward town). With a car, though, it's a relatively painless few miles to get to the N1 exit and the freeway into town (or continue south to Kirstenbosch, Cape Flats, etc.). Am sure the management can help with car rents or attraction info if you need it (I'm so used to having to use Lonely Planets and sussing it out myself under other arrangements that I usually don't ask for help, but I know others may approach it differently or want more guidance).

Obviously you could also spend a day "coccooning" around the grounds or by the pool here if so inclined and blessed with the vacation time. You could walk to downtown Milnerton in 30 minutes or so, or across the bridge to Milnerton Beach, but the area isn't dense with restaurants or other attractions like, say, Fish Hook or Hout Bay.

All in all, it was a great stay and good value for the money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Cotswold Guest house for six nights in March 2012. The welcome was most reassuring - within 30 minutes of our arrival Bettina was kindly arranging excursions via the internet for us for the following day - this on a Saturday evening when I am sure she had other pressing things to do.

The room was spacious, kept clean and well maintained - breakfasts were excellent - every aspect of our stay was good.

The attention to detail and excelling in customer satisfaction was evident throughout.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife, three year old daughter and I recently made a visit to Cape Town and were fortunate enough to stay at this establishment for five nights. Having a three year old, we were looking for a self-catering unit and found just that in a beautiful setting centrally located to many CT attractions. We were placed in the Loft apartment, a one bedroom apartment with two full bathrooms (one with a shower, one with a bath) and an open plan living room/ kitchen. The living room had two high quality futons that could accommodate more persons overnight in need. The king bed in the bedroom was very comfortable and comparable to high end hotel beds. The apartment as a whole was spotlessly clean and had a balcony with fantastic sea and mountain views. What really made this guesthouse though, was the homely attitude of the Swiss owners and SA staff. Bettina and Nick were perfect hosts and made us feel at home throughout our stay. On arrival, Nick immediately offered to take our daughter to feed the resident 14 ducks - she loved this experience which was repeated each day! The property has three swimming pools (all crystal clear) and served a full English and continental breakfast in the morning overlooking the largest pool. Parking was secure behind security gates and laundry services were offered for a reasonable fee. All-in-all a wonderful experience especially considering the reasonable daily rate. We have found our home-away-from-home in CT and will definitely stay at Cotswold Guest House when next we travel south. Thank you Bettina and Nick!

Room Tip: The Loft apartment is fantastic!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ckelly030
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We chose this guest house after reading TA reviews. We were vere pleased with the accomodations. Our room was spacious- our private bath was across the hall- not really a problem, but wanted to point out that some of the rooms are not "ensuite".
Breakfast was wonderful. Fresh fruit salad, cereals, several breads,jams, jellies and butters.The coffee was French press and very nice- a selection of teas were also available. the surprize was "how would you like your eggs", and the bacon, sausage, mushrooms or tomato that came with them.
Finally the plus in our review heading. We were trying to watch the Superbowl and could not find any places to do this (it went from 1am-5am So. African time). Our hostess Bettina invited us into her home- on the Guest house premises to watch our favorite team lose(not her fault). Way beyond the call of duty in my mind. Thanks Bettina.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed on Feb 4 2012 for 6 nights at Cotswold House.

It was excellent with a warm welcome from the owners,Bettina and Nic, who went out of their way to ensure a everything was right.

The bedroom and bathroom were large and comfortable.

Delicious breakfast was taken in a room overlooking a lovely pool and gardens.

There was on site parking, free Wi Fi and library and small bar.

In addition to the house there are 3 other great reasons for staying here;
A/ Easy 20 mins drive to Cape Town
B/ Within 10 walk from Cotswold there are 3 restaurant's by the beach of which Maestro's is the best as food is good and it overlooks beach and Cape Town Bay.
C/ Again 10 mins walk takes you to a links golf course

We cannot recommend it enough, it was the best value for money we had in 5 weeks stay in South Africa.

Margaret and David Thomas