“Not a restaurant an experience ”
Review of River Deck

River Deck
Ranked #93 of 171 Restaurants in Knysna
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2016 via mobile

Now the food isn't amazing, it's not by any means fine dining but it's tasty and not expensive. It's the venue, it's fun on the river bank. You can swim or hire a canoe or peddle boat, it's a great safe place for kids, they can run wild. The building is a ramshackle series of huts but it works, it's fun.
Ok the food, the garlic pizza is crispy with your Savanna. The bean soup is substantial and tasty and the salads are good. Never had a braai here but it smells good. Don't drive past give it a go.

1  Thank Jasmin
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 January 2016

I booked accommodation for at riverdeck for 3 nights and found the service and reception terrible. I had a little altercation with one of the owners who refused to let me swim in the river whilst there were other people swimming. It was evident that this was racial as I swam in that same section before that, and after the manager had told me that I could swim there when the owner wasn't around.

The food was terrible. We ordered pizza when we got there and it was bad. The next morning we ordered breakfast, and that too was terrible. Other people were served before us, our fries were half cooked and we had to pay extra for sauce, jam, butter and milk for our coffee. The place also has a problem with spiders. I'm talking, black widow, button and huntsman spiders which are very dangerous, and with no hospital close by one would think they'd take precautions.

Otherwise, if you can ignore all of this then yes you'll enjoy the vibe and island type style of the place.

5  Thank Bhiemand
Reviewed 2 January 2016 via mobile

As we arrived we waited to be seated for quite awhile. We checked outside which was a haze of kids and towels and sand and higgly piggly set up. Great for kids, not if you don't have kids. We decided to sit on open deck which had great view of the river. Inside decor rustic and unique.

Wine list was limited but ok priced. Whites ranging from R85. Unfortunately they were sold out of the world wines we were after. We were told on seating that food could take up to an hour as they were very busy. We sipped our wine and tried to order the chicken curry. They were sold out. We decided on a pizza and salad. The pizza was not oven fired and ok at R90. My salad was subpar with a sweet insipid sauce at R85. We waited 45 min. At same time lots of disgruntled patrons were compiling about slow service and not being taken care of. Our service was slow but ok.

Menu was small with homely South African Boere fare. Nothing special but if you after SA home food this is the place. For me not great food and too busy and messy for me.

2  Thank Iloveshoesalot
Reviewed 30 December 2015 via mobile

We visited River Deck as part of 3 families with kids at 12h30 on 29 December. I appreciate that things are busy in season but it is unacceptable that we had to wait 40 minutes for anyone to take our order. We even approached 2 waiters who assured us that they were going to be with us which never materialised. We finally got a casual staff member (Blessing - who was very friendly and helpful) to assist us and take our order. Our pizzas came 30 minutes later. The pizzas were quite nice but the extra toppings were hard to find. I don't even think I had 1 button mushroom on the entire pizza. The prices too were not exactly great value for money. A pie with a bit of salad costs R79! All our beers were also warm. The setting at least is nice and relaxed and the kids enjoyed a dip in the river.

2  Thank 99Luftballons
Reviewed 27 December 2015 via mobile

We did not plan to stop at the Riverdeck Restaurant, but what a surprise! We noticed a lot of cars in front of the restaurant which is always a good sign!

We first sat outside as the restaurant was full. They have a small play area for the children, including some canoeing that can be done.

The service is very slow but worth the wait. The children had some pizza and 'slap' chips, which were probably the best chips I have tasted in a while!

My wife and I both had two different types of curry (chicken and savoury mince) and it was absolutely great! Home cooked meals are the best! And even better than those 'kerkbasaars'!

We have visited many restaurants in the Knysna and Wilderness area and the food by Riverdeck most certainly are at the top!

Go and enjoy great food!

1  Thank Wscott010