“Delicious Ethiopian food and great experience! ”
Review of madam taitou

madam taitou
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Came here for lunch on a Sunday with my husband. Atmosphere was unique and there was really interesting Ethiopian decor. We were greeted by friendly staff, given a suggestion of a traditional share dish based upon what we said we felt like eating... It was delicious! And not to mention a lot of fun to eat! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a cultural experience.

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Ordered the meat platter and veg sampler so hopefully I got to eat majority of what's on the menu. Big silver platter arrived with rolls of dough as your bread to eat the food ( use your hands). All very nice and well worth eating there for Ethiopian food whilst in Cape Town.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Popped in for a bite while travelling on my own. Solomon recommended the Vege sampler which I found very tasty, but the best part was then that he sat down (presumably because I was on my own and it wasn't busy) and we had a fantastic conversation about art, politics and the meaning of life.

A few doors up the road there is also March of Time - not yet on trip advisor as it's only two months old. I ate there last night. I didn't know the connection but the two restaurants have the same owner. Again friendly with tasty food, and they also had great music.

1  Thank elisa005
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

Good food and nice staff. The restaurant in inside an antique shop and the whole experience is very interesting.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

Madam Taitou's ethiopian food is relatively average. We shared the vegetarian sampler. The injera was not as sour as really good teff injera should be, and the spices were somewhat muted, perhaps the kitchen was not using enough berbere or turmeric. The service was very slow the night we went - about 45 minutes until the food came out after several check-ins with the staff. This is relatively slow for most busy Ethiopian restaurants. The interior is highly eclectic - little seating nooks with soft lighting amidst books and bric-a-brac, definitely a good location for a couples evening, though better food and overall service can be found at Addis in Cape. If driving, you should be able to find parking on Long Street or on a nearby street. For reference, Tibuktu Cafe is run by the same people as Madame Taitou, and the food at Madam Taitou is similar to that at Timbuktu and vice-versa.

Date of visit: April 2017