“The Utter Disrespect”

Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Balducci at the V & A Waterfront offers an unrivaled menu of simple, everyday home cooked Italian dishes that reflect the most traditional elements of food and culinary styles. Our simple Italian home cooked food is prepared in a relaxed and restorative style, whilst at the same time being creative, traditional and affordable. Main restaurant open from 11am daily
Reviewed 1 week ago

We arrived at Balducci's and the hostess was extremely sweet, and found a friend and I a table to sit. There was a vibe, and the restuarant was at about 80% capacity.

We spent time going through the magazine styled menu, and were quite excited about the myriad options that were available to us, as we had left a previous establishment because of limited menu.

My friend, a food and restuarant enthusiast, decides to order a the Butter Chicken Pasta, as she has had quite a few in her time, and this is what she felt like this evening. I, on the other hand: a big fan of the carbonara, decide to order a something a little different because I'm feeling quite experimental and order the Butternut, Prosciutto, Bacon and Nuts.

Did I mention that my friend also order their peri-peri livers as a starter, which were beyond average?

Our food finally arrives, and my friend's face automatically goes sour after the 2nd bite. She loves going to new restuarants and seldom sends food back, but can not actually bare how sour the Butter Chicken pasta is (which I can attest, really was). She returns it to the kitchen, and the Manager comes to inform that the chef has tasted it and this is how it is "meant to taste" (said with attitude).

I try my pasta, and realise that it is quite undercooked, and extremely chewy, I inform the waitor and he calls over the manager again, who in a condenscending and irritated tone informs us that they prepare their pasta's "Al dente" but will do us a "favour" and ask them to cook it a bit further.

After this type of treatment, we decided to pay for our meals without eating and leave the establishment immediately as did not enjoy the utter disrespect, when trying to share that the food and service was below standard and quite frankly mediorce. As we left, a couple next to us were complaining about their handrolls, so it seems this was a norm at the restuarant.

Overall we were very dissapointed by this establishment, from the food to the manner to which the manager handle the situation.

Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Balducci's, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Siya, my apologies that you did not get to enjoy dining with us. Pls can you email me your bill to support@slickrestaurants.com so I can investigate. Our pasta is always cooked 'al dente' as we state on the pasta page of the menu, and we are asked at times to cook a guest's pasta more well done. Our Butter Chicken is our top selling pasta dish, and one of our signatures that we have had on our menu for over 10 years. Maybe it was just not to your liking? Kind regards, Andrew

Reviewed 1 week ago

The menu in this restaurant is too big to make for excellence. The food is good value and the staff great but, I would suggest, they concentrate on fewer items and perfect them. I understand that it makes for a great venue if you are dining with people who like different food types.

Hi Tracy, our menu covers a lot of different tastes - pasta, pizza, Asian dishes, sushi, steaks and burgers. Something for everyone. We look forward to having you join us again soon. Regards, Andrew

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

So much variety of food, beautiful location, and we received exceptional service from Muzi. Would definatley recommend!

Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Balducci's, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Katie, thank you for the review. We appreciate it and hope to have you dining with us again very soon. Regards, Andrew

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We enjoyed an excellent late dinner at Balducci’s right in the Victoria Waterfront Mall. Moderately priced but tasty food with full bar. Our waiter Mandla was attentive, fun and helpful on guiding our food choices. Inside or outside seating. Try the Salmon Grenades!

Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Balducci's, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear SaltyDancer, thank you for the review. Looking forward to having you dine with us again soon. Regards, Andrew

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The food and service were so superb that we dined here two nights in a row. We had drinks and dinner at the bar where we receieved impeccable, friendly service from Peter and staff. The grilled calamari starter, tender and delicious, was the best we have ever had. Head chef Sherwin came out to greet patrons and upon learning he is also head chef for two other local dining venues, we couldn’t wait to try. Will definitely be back next time we are in Cape Town!

Dear Chase, thank you for the wonderful Trip Advisor review. Looking forward to having you dine with us again soon. Regards, Andrew